Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then I would have to guess that is pretty set. Hope everything goes well for you. Does anyone else on here have a set date like that or seen another thread with people on here?
Mine just updated a few days ago to June 3-17. Before it was at May 30 - June 27 for about two weeks.

How would we know if we've gotten HW4?

Once you get VIN you get a delivery date notice to choose?

Someone on Reddit reported that they received their LR order today with HW3 and a 73kW non-LFP battery pack. I find it a bit strange that the vast majority of us placed orders and got our delivery dates pushed out several times over, yet there's a very small handful who already received VINs and are set to take delivery in the next couple days. Like wouldn't we have all received our VINs at around the same time and then had delivery date options that aligned with where we're located? I really would like to learn the build dates of these ones because they seem like exceptions.

Someone on Reddit reported that they received their LR order today with HW3 and a 73kW non-LFP battery pack. I find it a bit strange that the vast majority of us placed orders and got our delivery dates pushed out several times over, yet there's a very small handful who already received VINs and are set to take delivery in the next couple days. Like wouldn't we have all received our VINs at around the same time and then had delivery date options that aligned with where we're located? I really would like to learn the build dates of these ones because they seem like exceptions.
I just got my VIN assigned this morning.

And a new EDD to boot.

June 3/17 to June 11/18

Really hoping we get HW4 .... Any way to confirm what kind of HW via VIN? I think it's possible with a Y (to use VIN to check)

Were they in the US? I just got a VIN this morning. I ordered back in March I believe.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how this plays out. Having ordered in January, it's odd to see people who ordered after getting firm dates/VIn's assigned.

Maybe color is driving this too? Perhaps making a lot of white/blk interior before going to blue or red, white interior? It's oddly both exciting and frustrating at the same time. In a way the speculation has sucked some of the fun out of it, as it's causing some 2nd guessing. Maybe it's just me...

Reactions: Diceroller
I'm finding it a little annoying to be in this information void where we know the changes are coming, but we don't know which of them are going to be incorporated into our orders. Now that there are more signs that Shanghai is winding down M3 assembly, possibly for the refresh, it's even more suspect that we're in this limbo and could just end up with old everything (except the battery pack) anyway. I'd be fine waiting a couple extra months for the refresh, but I doubt we'll get the info we need to decide between it or an older version (which might be preferred depending on what the refresh entails). From a resale perspective, I'd prefer HW4 at the very least.

Reactions: King David
Yeah if Highland/refresh were a 1yr+ away and the battery in the May relaunched version was the same as it was when I ordered in January, I wouldn't have any hesitation or doubt...but as you put it, we are now in an information void, which is very frustrating. Bottom line is I expected what I ordered OR a refresh, something in between never entered the decision making process until a few months ago. Ugh.

There is always the one in between two versions. Last one dying and new one not yet born. Either way, I can’t wait for my LR. I hope Tesla will allow the swap from HW3 to HW4 though, being that they deleted the sensors, the cameras aren’t there yet to replace them.

There is always the one in between two versions. Last one dying and new one not yet born. Either way, I can’t wait for my LR. I hope Tesla will allow the swap from HW3 to HW4 though, being that they deleted the sensors, the cameras aren’t there yet to replace them.
IDK about there always being an in-between version- I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that this will be my first Tesla and while I researched what would be best for me, I am not too familiar with their product transitions.

As for swapping HW3 for HW4, I believe Elon already said that won't be happening.

Reactions: 42M3
IDK about there always being an in-between version- I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that this will be my first Tesla and while I researched what would be best for me, I am not too familiar with their product transitions.

As for swapping HW3 for HW4, I believe Elon already said that won't be happening.
Same for me. This is my first Tesla too, so we will see.…

Reactions: King David

Tesla is really bad about weird transitional versions. They've shipped cars with uss sensors but not the ability to use them.

When the heat pump came to the model 3, it got a new frunk to fit it first, even though it was still shipping without the heat pump.

Weird transitional vehicles seem to be the norm for them.

Tesla is really bad about weird transitional versions. They've shipped cars with uss sensors but not the ability to use them.

When the heat pump came to the model 3, it got a new frunk to fit it first, even though it was still shipping without the heat pump.

Weird transitional vehicles seem to be the norm for them.
It may not be that unusual in the car industry generally. A car may have parts from different suppliers or slightly different design variations, and it may be luck of the draw which one the car gets. In most cases, the difference is not obvious to the user, unless a recall or warranty issue affects only those parts from a specific supplier or of a specific design variation, or there is some other way that the change is revealed (e.g. "IIHS crash test applies only to cars built after ____").

People who post on car forums may notice such differences more than most people. Would most Model 3 buyers notice whether their car has
  • Premium or Global headlamps
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Hankook Kinergy GT tires
  • different shaped frunk from pre-heat-pump cars
  • lack of radar
?