Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR range is now listed @ 325 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it sounds like the majority of you never saw the bump in range, and if you did, it was short lived. I don't think it was degradation that brought it back down though.
I have updated my car as soon as I received the updates; currently on 2019.32.2.2 anxiously awaiting V10.

I just think the "325" is smoke and mirrors. Your range will fluctuate depending on how you drive, where you drive and what climate you're driving in.

Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!

Why did Tesla kill the RWD model 3 — too much competition for model S?

I haven't followed all of Tesla's pricing gyrations that closely, but I rather think that since $9,000 added to the (now)-standard SR+ gets you

-- AWD
-- dual motors
-- and upgraded interior/controls/navigation/autopilot

in addition to maximum range, there just isn't enough room betwen the models to segment it further; at least that is what convinced me to upgrade my order, seeems like a lot of valuable extras for the money.

I believe both extra weight and less efficiency due to the additional front drive unit (unlike when the AWD model S was superior in range to the RWD model S).

Why did Tesla kill the RWD model 3 — too much competition for model S?

Is strange they got rid of it. Don't think it is S related at all though. So many decisions seem to come down to efficiency at the plant where they are building the cars. More deviations slow them down and for now at least maximizing how many they can get out a month/quarter is the #1 priority.

I would guess it may return if/when that ever normalizes as well as more paint options, maybe a true SR different interior which was the original plan, etc...

Reactions: gecko10x
So it sounds like the majority of you never saw the bump in range, and if you did, it was short lived. I don't think it was degradation that brought it back down though.
I have updated my car as soon as I received the updates; currently on 2019.32.2.2 anxiously awaiting V10.

I just think the "325" is smoke and mirrors. Your range will fluctuate depending on how you drive, where you drive and what climate you're driving in.

Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!

325mi/525km exists when the car is relatively new. My car is in Servcie for a front axle replacement (clicking noise) and got a loaner named Oreo (3LR VIN:322532). Charged today at the SuC to 472km at 90%. Extrapolates to 524.44~km at 100%.

upload_2019-9-19_13-55-40.png

upload_2019-9-19_13-56-2.png

I noticed a bump and range actually increased over the past year. 90% charge ~ 288. About a month ago we drove from San Diego to Lompoc, CA. Over 275 miles. I arrived at the SC in Buellton with 260 miles driven and had 65 miles range left for 325 indicated total range. Drove the freeways, set AP at 72 mph. As it was early and cool out when we left, didn't need AC most of the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: 0ptions
325mi/525km exists when the car is relatively new. My car is in Servcie for a front axle replacement (clicking noise) and got a loaner named Oreo (3LR VIN:322532). Charged today at the SuC to 472km at 90%. Extrapolates to 524.44~km at 100%.

Was it really at 90% or arbitrarily at 90% based on the slider position?
My car has been 256 miles at 80% which is about 320 miles, but it doesn't actually charge to 320 miles when it gets to 100%.

My LR with 35k miles got the 325 mile upgrade and still has it. My daily 90% charge is 292 miles. That works out to 324 at 100%. The few times I have 100% charged I did get 324 miles.

I charge to 90% every day and have a 80 mile round trip commute for whatever that is worth. Rarely 100% charge, just don't road trip much.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and 0ptions
Was it really at 90% or arbitrarily at 90% based on the slider position?
My car has been 256 miles at 80% which is about 320 miles, but it doesn't actually charge to 320 miles when it gets to 100%.

I set the slider to 90% from the in car HUD at the start of the SuC session. FWIW, I'll try a hard reset and see what 42,000kms equals to in battery degradation after 15 months and one Canadian winter on my car when I get it back.

I took delivery of my car in late March, 2019, after the range increase was announced. It's always shown an estimated range on the main screen that's consistent with a 325-mile full-charge range, or close to it. I normally charge to 85%, and the display shows 275-276 miles at that SoC. I've gone on a couple of road trips and charged to 100% prior to those trips, or at my destinations, and the car has shown over 320 miles (322-325 miles, IIRC) at those times.

Of course, the range shown on the main screen is an estimate based on Tesla's theoretical range, which corresponds to what they advertise on their Web site and window sticker. The actual range will depend on speed, driving habits, terrain, temperature, etc. A drive-specific range estimate that includes these factors appears on the energy-use graph that you can pull up, but that doesn't display by default.

Oh, and AFAIK the AWD and Performance versions should never have shown 325 miles as the estimated range on the main screen (although they might on the energy-use screen). If an AWD or Performance model is showing 325 miles on the main screen (or a proportionally smaller value given the SoC), then chances are that's a bug -- maybe the car "thinks" it's a RWD version, hopefully just for that one calculation.

View attachment 456696

View attachment 456697
I didn't know they had Model 3 loaners. Is it common at your SC? Mine uses mostly Model S 75D from Enterprise.

Wait, 512 is possible? I never got more than 256, I figured it's got buffer overflow protection or such.
It's only been done by hypermilers intent on breaking the record. Basically, a constant 25 mph, straight flat road, no AC/heat, and all electronics possible shutdown. I imagine they may also have used different tires and maybe put a lot more air in them than normal. It's nothing you can achieve in "normal" driving. However, it is possible to go close to 400 miles in an LR RWD if you keep your speed at 55 mph or less on the freeway and refrain from AC/heat. In Oregon, this is possible if you stay in the truck lane aka no one will run over you :D. From what I've read of other states it might be suicidal. I used to drive 54 mph on I-5 all the time when I was returning from a long "mission" in the Leaf. As long as I stayed in the truck lane everything was cool.