Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ludicrous 2.0 seconds flat?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be surprised if they allowed the 3 to out-accelerate the top level S, and also surprised if the ~75-80 kWh pack we've been guessing is the largest option on the 3 can deliver enough power to hold the car against the friction limit for the whole run.

but I'm highly doubtful of this one on both technical and business grounds.

Have to agree. There is no way Tesla is going to sell a $60K Model 3 that can out-perform a $110K Model S. I expect the Model 3's fastest times will be better than anything in it's price range, but that's it. Maybe 4.5 secs.

Have to agree. There is no way Tesla is going to sell a $60K Model 3 that can out-perform a $110K Model S. I expect the Model 3's fastest times will be better than anything in it's price range, but that's it. Maybe 4.5 secs.
What about a $75-$80K one that is quicker than all but the $135K S P100D? I think most people see the S 100D as the long distance choice, so I don't see a 3 being quicker than a S 100D hurting sales for it all that much.

What about a $75-$80K one that is quicker than all but the $135K S P100D? I think most people see the S 100D as the long distance choice, so I don't see a 3 being quicker than a S 100D hurting sales for it all that much.

Since Elon said there would be a Ludicrous 3, I've been assuming it will out-perform the non-Performance S/X.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a ~3 second 3P80DL, possibly even dipping just below 3 seconds which could produce the preconditions for this rumor (in quarter mile times, a car that does 10.9 seconds is termed a "ten second" car - as folks have suggested upthread, this might be the type of language being used to call the 3 a two second car, even though that's not in general use for 0-60 times that I've ever heard of.)

The base Model S has a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, base Model X is 6.0 seconds and base Model 3 is "less than 6 seconds" (let's say 5.8-5.9 seconds at the high end).

The Model S with upgraded bigger battery, before you get performance, is 4.2 seconds, and Model X with bigger battery before P is 4.8 seconds, so we can assume that an upgraded Model 3 with bigger battery, before performance is added, would fall between those two as well, maybe 4.6-4.7.

Performance on S and X are 2.5 and 2.9, so if we follow the 3 being somewhere between the S and X performance wise, we can probably expect P on the Model 3 to fall between those two figures.

The White Zombie is a 1972 Datsun that has been converted to electric and can do 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. It's street legal but it doesn't have the range of a Model 3 obviously, and it's tiny. There is also an electric 1968 Mustang called Zombie 222 that is just as fast; it's bigger and heavier but it still lacks the massive battery that the Model 3 will have to weigh it down - the range is only 40-50 miles. Still, 2.0 might be possible in the Model 3. I wouldn't expect it right out of the gate, though. Maybe as they refine the platform they will get there.

The White Zombie is a 1972 Datsun that has been converted to electric and can do 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. It's street legal but it doesn't have the range of a Model 3 obviously, and it's tiny. There is also an electric 1968 Mustang called Zombie 222 that is just as fast; it's bigger and heavier but it still lacks the massive battery that the Model 3 will have to weigh it down - the range is only 40-50 miles. Still, 2.0 might be possible in the Model 3. I wouldn't expect it right out of the gate, though. Maybe as they refine the platform they will get there.

When you get down into this range, it's all about the tires. No current street tire can deliver sub-2 second times on standard asphalt, regardless of how much torque you put behind it. The P100D is up against those traction limits hard - it only takes a few more feet to accelerate to 60 than it does to stop in a full ABS panic from what I've read.

I don't want to see every 17-year old that received an M3 for their birthday tearing through the neighborhoods showing off the 2s 0-60 times, taking out locals.
Well at least with Model 3's it'll be quiet. If this is a problem in your neighborhood today they're doing it with obnoxiously noisy (and electronically augmented because those idiots think people need MORE engine noise) Porsches, BMWs, MBs, Corvettes, etc.

I don't want to see every 17-year old that received an M3 for their birthday tearing through the neighborhoods showing off the 2s 0-60 times, taking out locals.

I've never lived in a neighborhood where any kid got a new car, though I grew up down the hill from one of those neighborhoods in Monterey Park. In my neighborhoods if any got a new car, it was a very inexpensive economy car. My first car was a hand me down from my sister and it was only six months younger than I was.

These days most teenagers aren't even getting licenses.

If there's no way that Tesla would let the 3 outperform the S, then there's also no way they'd let their SUV outperform their mid-sized sport sedan. So we're looking at a 0-60 of under 2.9 going by the "there's no way" reasoning.
This is a stretch because those are completely different vehicles with different market segments. They're not gonna let their budget sport sedan outperform their luxury sport sedan, but their sedan lineup is separate from their SUVs, so who cares how those perform against each other?

Well at least with Model 3's it'll be quiet. If this is a problem in your neighborhood today they're doing it with obnoxiously noisy (and electronically augmented because those idiots think people need MORE engine noise) Porsches, BMWs, MBs, Corvettes, etc.
It may actually be louder depending on the impending government regulations on making EVs louder. If the Leaf is anything to go by, EVs will be hated by your neighbors more than loud sports cars!

Under four seconds to sixty is what I want..and I don't want to pay over 55 grand for the base awd P85 model3...zero to sixty in 2 seconds is ridiculously quick...3 seconds is insanely quick..under four seconds is what most of us would be happy with for a more normal price..

I'm not spending 100 grand on any car....

Jmo

It may actually be louder depending on the impending government regulations on making EVs louder. If the Leaf is anything to go by, EVs will be hated by your neighbors more than loud sports cars!
Ha! Not to mention teenagers hijacking/modding those speakers (replacing the mp4 in the car, perhaps) to play who knows what. I went through my loud pipes phase as a teenager. Will be interesting to see what this generation does.

If there's no way that Tesla would let the 3 outperform the S, then there's also no way they'd let their SUV outperform their mid-sized sport sedan. So we're looking at a 0-60 of under 2.9 going by the "there's no way" reasoning.

I actually think 2.8-2.9 allowing for rollout is a pretty likely result.

Having said that, I don't understand your logic here at all. Having the 3 not upstage the S makes good business sense - more profit margin, retaining interest in the established product while developing production. (In addition to the inherent technical limitations associated with the smaller battery pack.)

I don't see how the 3PxxDL is threatened by having a $150k SUV that's as fast or faster from the same company. There's no way the two are being cross-shopped, and I really doubt anyone looking a a performance 3 is going to go "it's not even any faster than that SUV which beats most supercars, why would I want that?"

I actually think 2.8-2.9 allowing for rollout is a pretty likely result.

Having said that, I don't understand your logic here at all. Having the 3 not upstage the S makes good business sense - more profit margin, retaining interest in the established product while developing production. (In addition to the inherent technical limitations associated with the smaller battery pack.)

I don't see how the 3PxxDL is threatened by having a $150k SUV that's as fast or faster from the same company. There's no way the two are being cross-shopped, and I really doubt anyone looking a a performance 3 is going to go "it's not even any faster than that SUV which beats most supercars, why would I want that?"
Fair points, though it's not without precedence in the auto industry for a smaller less expensive model to be quicker than the flagship. Tesla's target in the market, BMW, being a perfect example of this. The Model S is much more than just straight-line acceleration though, and it still retains features that will attract buyers over the Model 3. My reasoning was more along the line of how silly it would be for Tesla to artificially hamstring the performance of the 3 just to preserve some preconceived performance hierarchy. Why not just let physics be the limiting factor?

Under four seconds to sixty is what I want..and I don't want to pay over 55 grand for the base awd P85 model3...zero to sixty in 2 seconds is ridiculously quick...3 seconds is insanely quick..under four seconds is what most of us would be happy with for a more normal price.. I'm not spending 100 grand on any car....
Jmo

Another pipe dream ... prepare to be disappointed at your current price point or pay more for performance :cool: