Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Mud flaps on Model 3.. worth it?"

What’s the pros and cons of fitting mud flaps? Do they really deflect that much dirt?

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the road rash and impact on older Model 3's in Finland and parts of North America with harsher climate, I ordered a set of the common black, easy-to-fit mudguards from Amazon whilst waiting for my M3P. Having had a previous BMW X5 40d MSport which suffered badly from grit thrown up from the wider, stickier tyres, I fitted the mudguards to the M3P as soon as I got it home, before driving it again.

I am in no doubt that the mudguards are helping to protect the lower sides of the car and also helping to reduce some of the dirt during this wet weather. They were so cheap, easy to fit and do not detract from the looks of the car (in my opinion) that I would recommend them to everyone.

The mud guards in that video look super ugly though, they stick out miles! I guess they serve their purpose but like most things how far do you go? Bonnet bras like still see on some cars?

I think I'd probably look to get a full PPF done and leave it at that. Expensive, but at least it won't make it look like a rally car.

• Funny
Reactions: Doudeau
I fitted them to my M3LRAWD P- (god thats a mouthfull) and they look like they should of been on the car from the start, not noticed any range affect but have noticed so much less dirt/road crap on side of the car and only £15.68 from Fleabay

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
I think I'd probably look to get a full PPF done and leave it at that.

Direct Line won't insure the car if it has PPF. Seems daft to me, but ... people who have spoken to them to just get it excluded seem to have failed (unless things have changed and someone has managed to do that?)

There was a post in the last couple of days called something like "Holes in wheelarch lining" that had some photos, I ordered some mudflaps as a result.

Holes in wheel wells

Direct Line won't insure the car if it has PPF. Seems daft to me, but ... people who have spoken to them to just get it excluded seem to have failed (unless things have changed and someone has managed to do that?)

Holes in wheel wells
They were my pics. Honestly, I think they look great - very OEM. They integrate well with the body line. Not too big, but enough to stop a lot of the stones etc that will get thrown up.

Mine's coming back from full PPF and 'Halo' ceramic top coat later this week. Overlapped around the arches where possible. I'd had enough of the bloody postman dragging his bag down it and cr@pping myself every time it was on Asda car park so I've stumped £3k for the full job and paint correction. Hoping to avoid mud flaps now, especially as I'm light mileage these days. Just on the paint correction, the guy doing it said it was "dire" - he's a perfectionist mind and whilst it didn't look that good to me, it was acceptable for most I'd reckon. Apparently now it's pristine but I'll find out more in a few days time. Then the 18 inch rims and new tyres go on for winter and pothole resilience. That lots pretty much used up the savings we made when the P's came down in price but I reckon I'm just about done now. Been away for a week already and want it back!

Reactions: Roy W.
Reactions: Roy W.