Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget Tesla managed to keep the pre-reveal prototypes hidden well away from prying eyes so we might not get to see new prototypes before Tesla wants us to see them.

They can very easily test updates to drivetrain with the older prototypes so there is no compelling reason for new ones to be out about in public.

IMO we will not see new prototypes with internal/external design revisions until EM shows it to us in next reveal.

Last edited:
Let's face it......if Elon and team are as good as they were for the initial intro, we're not gonna get anything except maybe one blurry photo a few hours before Reveal 3.

I know in this day and age of instant gratification that it sucks....but we can get through this. 78 days until March 31st.

But really, he'll do it on the 30th, because no one wants to "work" at the event on a Friday night.

So.....77 days? Maybe? Please?

:rolleyes:

Let's face it......if Elon and team are as good as they were for the initial intro, we're not gonna get anything except maybe one blurry photo a few hours before Reveal 3.

I know in this day and age of instant gratification that it sucks....but we can get through this. 78 days until March 31st.

But really, he'll do it on the 30th, because no one wants to "work" at the event on a Friday night.

So.....77 days? Maybe? Please?

:rolleyes:
Quick! It's time to resurrect that countdown thread!

Reactions: Model 3
Sorry for digging up this thread but I didn't want to create a new thread just to repost something from Reddit.
Apparently someone has seen multiple Model 3s. One in red and one in blue. That would mean that Tesla now has more Model 3s than just the silver and the matte black one we already know about. Hopefully we will get some more information or pictures soon.

Was the sighting of the Red model 3 drivable or just the mock up displayed at the GF opening? :cool:

IMG_5202.JPG

Last edited:
Was the Red model 3 drivable or just the mock up displayed at the GF opening? :cool:

View attachment 210119
If a red one was moving (the sighting claimed in Reddit), it must have had holes cut out in the floorboard for the feet (also note the new grille treatment -- now, more like a baleen whale mouth than the original shark nose :) ):
JS85817272.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: hoang51
Don't forget Tesla managed to keep the pre-reveal prototypes hidden well away from prying eyes so we might not get to see new prototypes before Tesla wants us to see them.

They can very easily test updates to drivetrain with the older prototypes so there is no compelling reason for new ones to be out about in public.

IMO we will not see new prototypes with internal/external design revisions until EM shows it to us in next reveal.

Back in 2015 they were driving around pre-production Model X's all over the Bay Area with heavyly tinted windows with minimal vinyl wrap covering the fake nose cone , rear spoiler and upper part of the "big sky" windshield. Those were the key things they wanted to keep on the down-low. Final reveal of the production Model X was in September 2015.

So, no reason to "hide" a Model 3 for testing. They've already shown the prototype so we know what the final exterior will look like. The only thing we don't know is what they've done about the nose and what the final interior will look like.

Back in 2015 they were driving around pre-production Model X's all over the Bay Area with heavyly tinted windows with minimal vinyl wrap covering the fake nose cone , rear spoiler and upper part of the "big sky" windshield. Those were the key things they wanted to keep on the down-low. Final reveal of the production Model X was in September 2015.

So, no reason to "hide" a Model 3 for testing. They've already shown the prototype so we know what the final exterior will look like. The only thing we don't know is what they've done about the nose and what the final interior will look like.

You have a point.

I was referring to hiding updates that we are yet to see - both exterior and interior. Perhaps the differences affecting this time round may include:

* More than 20x pre-orders for Model 3 compared to X - way more interest

* Competitive landscape very different today especially Model 3 target market

* Tesla will be hoping for the next big boost in orders when EM does his stage intro

Just saying, I may be wrong.

Last edited:
If there's one thing Tesla doesn't need, it's a big boost in reservations. They're closing in on TWO YEARS worth of reservations.

True, but customers will need to know what they are actually buying. Reveal 3 should give out most of the details. Soon after that the "build and price your car" design studio will come online about one month before production begins. I expect at that time that Tesla will ask the early reservation holders to "firm up" their reservation. I expect a 20% to 25% drop out rate and an equal number of people joining in.

Just like the Model S, I expect a lot of the drop outs to come back later to buy when they are really ready and have read all the reviews.

True, but customers will need to know what they are actually buying. Reveal 3 should give out most of the details. Soon after that the "build and price your car" design studio will come online about one month before production begins. I expect at that time that Tesla will ask the early reservation holders to "firm up" their reservation. I expect a 20% to 25% drop out rate and an equal number of people joining in.

Just like the Model S, I expect a lot of the drop outs to come back later to buy when they are really ready and have read all the reviews.
What I'm curious about is if this is the final reveal, or another "pre-reveal". My memory is already fuzzy on just the Model X sequences of events. But wasn't the final nose cone not revealed until the September 29 event where they also made their first deliveries? I guess I'm just dubious that the design studio will open for any non-employees/"founders" until late July at the earliest.

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
I guess I'm just dubious that the design studio will open for any non-employees/"founders" until late July at the earliest.
I would hope the design studio opens up for those people right away so Tesla can get a good idea of what customers at this price point want. It might be better for all of us in the long run. I also hope they are laser focused on quality...

Reactions: Grendal
I would hope the design studio opens up for those people right away so Tesla can get a good idea of what customers at this price point want. It might be better for all of us in the long run. I also hope they are laser focused on quality...
Agreed. And if I understand the process correctly, you can change your design up to when they are about to start making it. So it seems to be in everyone's best interest to release the design studio as soon as possible. The only downside is locking in that grand (I assume once you've chosen your options, the reservation becomes non-refundable), but personally I already wrote off that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.