Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is the Instagram color filter.

Correct ... oversaturated color on the Tesla Model 3 Silver Prototype spotted at the Fremont factory [Gallery]

model-3-fremont.png

Last edited:
To the person who said the matte colors look like boy racer cars I used to think so until I saw them on the new Mercedes. They are truly elegant. I wouldn't want one on my own car because it would drive me nuts but if I barely drove the car and was retired and had time to take care of it I would definitely consider it. I wouldn't want black though. Maybe grey or white...

matte-grey-mercedes-benz-sl63-amg-3.jpg

149355d1234278504-sl-63-amg-matte-paint-2008-mercedes-sl-63-amg-e-5-1_1600x0w.jpg

Zero chance they look like that in real life/real light/non-photoshopped photos.

Lucky. I think odds are pretty good that the first Model 3 I see in real life will be my own. At the least I'll have confirmed my configuration before I see one.
I think Ummgood was talking to seeing cars with factory matte paint.... but agree with your comment on seeing M3s. Outside of the areas around the Tesla facilities, mule sightings will be like unicorns.
Although, do home Tesla has some reservation holder events similar to what there were for the X, so we know what we are getting into by the time config invites are expected.

I think Ummgood was talking to seeing cars with factory matte paint.... but agree with your comment on seeing M3s. Outside of the areas around the Tesla facilities, mule sightings will be like unicorns.
Although, do home Tesla has some reservation holder events similar to what there were for the X, so we know what we are getting into by the time config invites are expected.
Oh yep. Helps when I expand the post he's replying to.

As for X events - there wasn't one in Utah, maybe there will be for the 3, due to more buyers of the 3. Of course, even the X events were a few months after first deliveries.

I belive that one of the reasons that Tesla hold event there Model X reservation holders was able to test the car was that many didn't want to confirm until they have tested the car. When the design studio open you will likely be place in production queue earlier the faster you confirm and when they open the design studio I belive that it will be many that confirm even if they haven't seen the car. This means that is you reserved early but want to see the car in person first you will have to except that you will lose many place and if unlucky miss some of the federal tax credit.

Apparently, a black (possibly matte) test mule was spotted around Williamsburg, VA today. I wonder who was driving?
The still relatively rare Model X is sometimes misidentified as the Model 3. It doesn't look exactly like a Model S (which people are familiar with), but is definitely a Tesla vehicle of some sort, so people surmise it must be the Model 3.

Last edited:
The still relatively rare Model X is sometimes misidentified as the Model 3. It doesn't look exactly like a Model S (which people are familiar with), but is definitely a Tesla vehicle of some sort, so people surmise it must be the Model 3.
It's possible, but my source has seen pictures of both and stated that it looked like the new Model S, only smaller. Maybe someone else will see it and verify ;)

It's possible, but my source has seen pictures of both and stated that it looked like the new Model S, only smaller. Maybe someone else will see it and verify ;)
If it looked like the new Model S, then it must have had a moustache, since that's the most distinctive feature differentiating it from the classic Model S with its black nosecone. The Model X also has a moustache. The Model 3, on the other hand, is clean-shaven. The taller height of the Model X changes the aspect ratio of the car and makes seem like a shorter/chubbier Model S, which could be misconstrued as the shorter Model 3.

The best way to tell for sure is to snap a photo of the car and posting it for others to review and analyze.

If it looked like the new Model S, then it must have had a moustache, since that's the most distinctive feature differentiating it from the classic Model S with its black nosecone. The Model X also has a moustache. The Model 3, on the other hand, is clean-shaven. The taller height of the Model X changes the aspect ratio of the car and makes seem like a shorter/chubbier Model S, which could be misconstrued as the shorter Model 3.

The best way to tell for sure is to snap a photo of the car and posting it for others to review and analyze.
I agree. My friend said that the car went by too fast for him to snag a picture. Sounds like a Tesla, though doesn't it? He's ridden in my S before, so he's seen one close up. He was adamant that it wasn't an S. We will see if anyone else spots it.

I agree. My friend said that the car went by too fast for him to snag a picture. Sounds like a Tesla, though doesn't it? He's ridden in my S before, so he's seen one close up. He was adamant that it wasn't an S. We will see if anyone else spots it.
Has he seen the new S? Seeing one in person driving down the road makes me look twice, and I've looked at a billion pictures of them.

That thing what was in GF event is not a car or mule. I don't know proper word in english, maybe mockup?

View attachment 187518

That picture is wild. It's like a movie set. Everyone has been "ooh and aah" at the car only to find out it's just a shell with some steel framing and plywood.

I wonder how the inside looks, probably similar to the early Model S mockup with raised floor and fixed steering wheel I remember seeing a while back (I can't find the picture now...).

Status
Not open for further replies.