Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the long rear spoiler effect the drag?

Side note: that trunk panel gap is terrible
ee1603c7f9e9d9f469a373baa2b12404ca6550876cfddfdd22f1116543926ebc.png
I actually think this still is a mock up. There was one pic in the other thread (silver car, rear left angle), where this seems to be glued over the real thing. The trunk panel was completely sticking out, almost as another layer of the panel. This just cannot be production quality :)

I don't think the entire tail light assembly opens with the trunk lid. Would make for a significantly unsafe condition with no visible taillights or flashers when the trunk was opened.
Great point. I was wondering also if all of the lights opened with the trunk with that new cutout. Great point you made that some lights will have to stay visible if the hazard lights are on.

I actually think this still is a mock up. There was one pic in the other thread (silver car, rear left angle), where this seems to be glued over the real thing. The trunk panel was completely sticking out, almost as another layer of the panel. This just cannot be production quality :)
We have only seen a black car and a blue car that is Pc. There have been no silver Pc cars spotted yet. Only Alpha cars have been silver.

I think what's jarring is the separation of taillight from the spoiler. There's no way to blend the taillight in a little better? Both the S and the X do a much better job of that. This would reduce turbulence as well. Really makes the spoiler look out of place. It looks unfinished.

View attachment 221555

Here is the X:

View attachment 221556

See how it blends nicely into the taillight?

Also I don't really like this. What's up with that?
upload_2017-4-6_18-50-32-png.221557

Model S and X continue a smooth transition between the body panel and trunk.

View attachment 221558
View attachment 221561
View attachment 221559

The 3 trunk panel just kinda sinks in, killing the seamless flowing continuity of it all.

View attachment 221562

The fact that Tesla intentionally adds a lip makes it stand out even more, and not in a good way.

Honestly, the more I look at the subtle details of Model 3's design, the more it looks like they just smushed an S and X together, then intentionally made it worse. There are so many unfinished design cues on Model 3 that S/X nail down perfectly. It makes no sense, and you wouldn't expect Tesla to get worse at designing cars over time. And here we all thought Elon would never, and I mean never, intentionally cripple Model 3 because his only interest was making the best car possible at the best price. It really does look like they went the polar opposite direction by just making 3 a worse S/X. You don't see that with other car manufacturers. The designs might be better or worse, but they generally have their own identity. The cheaper cars are not just the same thing as their bigger brothers but without the refined details.
The extra overhang across the middle of the trunk lid might be there to protect the rear camera from rain and snow. It could help to keep it clean. It also might just be to help reduce Cd.

I don't think the entire tail light assembly opens with the trunk lid. Would make for a significantly unsafe condition with no visible taillights or flashers when the trunk was opened.
I'm fairly confident of this as well. I still think the trunk shape is the same as the alpha cars. The outer tail light sections are not on the trunk lid.
The panel gaps on the "arms" that go up to the hinge do seem a bit wider on the latest cars. It almost looks intentional, but then again Tesla might not have the best track record on body panel alignment.

Audi's SUVs open with the tail lights attached, so it must not be too unsafe, right?
Are those lights in the rear bumper though (Q7 pictured below)? If so, maybe they are secondary taillights and having the main taillights flip up with the hatch doesn't present a problem in terms of safety for anyone coming up from behind. The Model 3 won't have ancillary rear bumper taillights.

(Any Audi SUV owners here who could corroborate whether my assumption is correct or not?)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.