Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this picture of one of the alpha cars, the trunk line on the new cars looks the same to me.
I'm sticking with my theory that the body panels are unchanged.

Luckily I really liked the prototype design, so I still think it looks great.

That light cutout on the alpha does not look like this.

upload_2017-4-6_23-20-52.png

That light cutout on the alpha does not look like this.

View attachment 221600
There is no trunk seam there in front of the lens. You're seeing the reflection of the seam above onto the top of the quarter panel or the lens. Where that seam meets the quarter panel it heads towards the back of the trunk above the outer lens, just like it did on the alpha build. There is an obvious seam between the outer lens (which is attached to the quarter panel) and the inner lens (which is attached to the trunk lid). Again, this is just like it was on the alpha build. There would be no reason for them to split the lens in two other than having one side attached to the quarter panel and the other attached to the trunk lid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T
There is no trunk seam there in front of the lens. You're seeing the reflection of the seam above onto the top of the quarter panel or the lens. Where that seam meets the quarter panel it heads towards the back of the trunk above the outer lens, just like it did on the alpha build. There is an obvious seam between the outer lens (which is attached to the quarter panel) and the inner lens (which is attached to the trunk lid). Again, this is just like it was on the alpha build. There would be no reason for them to split the lens in two other than having one side attached to the quarter panel and the other attached to the trunk lid.

This is certainly not a reflection. Here is a closer pic to show that its not a reflection. There is a "new" seam through side of the light.

Unless that seam is for the charge port as I stated earlier. Its not a reflection.

upload_2017-4-7_0-3-5.png

Last edited:
Each rear tail light is now 3 pieces where the alpha had 2. The alpha didn't have the outer section that's on the 1/4 panel cut into two. That's because they didn't have a charge port yet. Now they have the charge port accounted for and that's why there's a new break in the outer light on the 1/4 panel. The reason that it would be on both sides and not just the on the left is because this is a world car. The driver in some places would then be on the right. It's easier for mass production to have the tail light be the same on all cars and just swap out the smaller side pieces for the country you are in. Smaller means cheaper, easier means cheaper.

That's my 2¢.

My evaluation of the screen UI. Looks mostly ok to me, but there are a few curious things. Speed not being tucked up high is interesting. Also seems like the app control buttons for the nav will be a pretty far reach. And where will the icons be to switch apps?
View attachment 221514
So is it just me or are the temperature settings in Celsius ? Looks like 23 dog on the driver side 21.5 on passenger side? Canadian car?

There is a "new" seam through side of the light.

Unless that seam is for the charge port as I stated earlier. Its not a reflection.

Yes, the "faux" charge port door/side reflector is a separate lens/assembly. However as can be seen, the outboard taillight "hooks" forward underneath it. Therefore it couldn't open over the faux change port door, if the both inboard and outboard tail light assemblies opened with the trunk lid. The only way the outboard tail light could be attached to the trunk lid would be if the faux charge port door was attached to the trunk lid. I don't think that's the case, so I'm convinced the tail lights remain unchanged from alpha's relative to lid/fender mounting.

I'm fairly confident of this as well. I still think the trunk shape is the same as the alpha cars. The outer tail light sections are not on the trunk lid.
The panel gaps on the "arms" that go up to the hinge do seem a bit wider on the latest cars. It almost looks intentional, but then again Tesla might not have the best track record on body panel alignment.
I think the pressing for the trunk-lid is not right, yet, and needs tweaking so it fits properly. Pressing aluminum is not easy. :eek:

So is it just me or are the temperature settings in Celsius ? Looks like 23 dog on the driver side 21.5 on passenger side? Canadian car?
Its a 'world' car, and hence Celsius. :cool:

I don't think that's the case, so I'm convinced the tail lights remain unchanged from alpha's relative to lid/fender mounting.
Yes, no change, except the tail-light has been split to allow for a charging port (symmetrical for RHD and LHD). :)

This is certainly not a reflection. Here is a closer pic to show that its not a reflection. There is a "new" seam through side of the light.

View attachment 221607

Even if it is a seam, it could not possibly support opening the trunk at that seam. Look at the right angle at the bottom, it won't open cleanly upward without ripping off the light. It's very possibly a charge port or a dummy cover at the other side, depending on if it's a right or left handed car.

Reactions: VIKING26
Status
Not open for further replies.