Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...can not see the c pillar sensor/camera in any of it's shots.
Edit: Added better circle.

upload_2017-4-7_11-46-55.png

Last edited:
Just angle and bigger wheels IMHO.

Also focal length of the lens make a huge difference. A picture from far away with a long lens will show more overhang at the front and back than a close up picture with a short lens. The first picture is a computer rendering, the second is an actual picture of the original Model 3 prototype and then the blue one going slightly away changes things even more.

4Zt1kzY.png

models.jpg

In all the discussion/obsession over the trunk seam line, no one has commented on this post claiming that the new photos show three different cars.

I'm thinking both photo sessions of the black PC are the same vehicle, based on other visual indicators and license plate. I agree the C-pillar sensor is not visible in the latest black PC sighting, but black tape could have been used.

NOTE: no one has commented on the new interior photos showing a the continuous wood grain trim piece on the dash just in front of the air vent. Gorgeous.

Yeah, with the speculation of what few things might still be upgradable this tells me there's going to be an interior upgrade option.as I wouldn't expect them to include wood trim as standard. Probably combined with a leather seat upgrade. I just hope it's less than the $3,300 charged on the S/X.

@Twiglett posted "so that looks like at least three cars" and I took that to mean 3 different cars shown in the latest set of high quality images as posted at Tesla Model 3 release candidate spied, looks more like a Model S since that was what was being discussed, not "three Model 3 cars we have seen in total" because clearly we have seen more than 3 different Model 3 cars on the road in the past year.

I did see the many posts highlighting the mysterious new "thing" in the C pillar of one of the black Model 3 cars. Pretty hard to miss., but thanks for pointing it out again. :) What is odd about that thing is that the cutout is a rectangle (technically, a trapezoid) not the sort of oval shape for the B pillar camera. Either it is just for testing and not a final production part or it won't even be in the production cars. We don't know.
Edit: Very disappointed in you.

From several days ago:
Model-3-Camera-compare.jpg

There is also another black one (apparently without these C pillar devices), and the blue one.

And Elon said there would be no new customer facing tech. ;)

Reactions: WarpedOne
But I don't understand your concern though. The rear end of Model 3 looks just as good as Model S/X. The only major difference is the lack of the chrome strip, which makes the Model S/X more "premium". So apart from the lack of the chrome strip, I definitely did not see any evidence that they intentionally made the Model 3 look worse or inferior.

I don't understand your point of tail light being "separate" from the spoiler. The tail light of Model 3 is slightly protruding to make the spoiler look less protruding. And the lip above the license plate is to replace the chrome strip. And I think the boot shut line is flush just like Model S/X.
The rear looks mostly the same as S/X, but the proportions are off. Model S nails it, but Model X has a huge bubbly back and too small of a front. It looks ridiculous. Model 3 is basically a mini X so it has the same problem. It looks bloated.

My complaint with the spoiler is that it doesn't seamlessly flow with the design of the back of the car. The spoiler looks like an afterthought.

As far as the boot line, it's clearly not flush, because you can see it overhanging. Go back and look at my pictures again. Model S/X has a recessed area where the license plate sits. You see no such area on Model 3. The shut line is not staggered like you might be inferring, but it doesn't continue the round shape of the rear panels. It "sinks" in to form the recessed license plate area. Looks like somebody took that one panel and just kinda pushed the center in.

These two pictures aren't a perfect angle match, but it certainly appears that the production 3 has gotten somewhat taller and been stretched.

The rear is the most striking difference, as the rear wheels appear to be sitting further inside the vehicle than in the original prototype, perhaps accounting for larger trunk space.

The original prototype now looks much more sporty by comparison. Thoughts?

Original prototype
4Zt1kzY.png

Production candidate
KWwcsFV.png

I always thought the renders looked fantastic. Sporty, compact, and sleek. I get mixed feelings every time I see pics of the actual prototype/RC and compare them to the renders.

I always thought the renders looked fantastic. Sporty, compact, and sleek. I get mixed feelings every time I see pics of the actual prototype/RC and compare them to the renders.

Renders are created in optimal lighting and angles. Live shots you'll likely get the least flattering angle/lighting, especially as people rush to take a picture of the car. Once a publication like Motor Trend gets their hand on a final model I bet you your opinion will be different.

Also focal length of the lens make a huge difference. A picture from far away with a long lens will show more overhang at the front and back than a close up picture with a short lens. The first picture is a computer rendering, the second is an actual picture of the original Model 3 prototype and then the blue one going slightly away changes things even more.

4Zt1kzY.png

View attachment 221640
Okay, so I think I figured out why the renders look so much better and more S-like than the actual car:

upload_2017-4-7_13-50-14.png

The top of the roofline is right over the B-pillar in the renders, but is shifted further back on the actual car. This was absolutely done to increase headroom in the back while the render was designed to be a less practical, but better-looking car.

The difference is subtle, but I think it actually goes a long way toward the aesthetics of Model 3. Shifting the "weight" backwards makes the car look more bubbly and bloated and off balance.

Now comparing the S and X, you can see the S roofline is weighted forward while the X is back. Model 3 truly is a smaller Model X.

upload_2017-4-7_13-54-40.png

upload_2017-4-7_13-56-55.png

These two pictures aren't a perfect angle match, but it certainly appears that the production 3 has gotten somewhat taller and been stretched.
The rear is the most striking difference, as the rear wheels appear to be sitting further inside the vehicle than in the original prototype, perhaps accounting for larger trunk space.
I don't believe the wheelbase has changed. I *do* believe that the trunk has been stretched rearward slightly - probably just an inch or so.

Look at the small side window behind the rear door.
It appears to be a *little* larger on the RC.
It appears to end a *little* further back on the RC (compare to the wheel arch below it).
I still haven't completely convinced myself that it's not just camera angles making the difference though.
models-jpg.221640

KWwcsFV.png

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
You're all lucky I don't work at Tesla, because if I did I'd be duct taping my kid's Buzz Lightyear blaster next to the driver and other such stuff to the exterior just to be able to come here later and with unholy glee read the rampant speculation that would ensue!
I'm actually very surprised they don't already do that. It'd be awesome, I was thinking one of those little propeller things on the back bumper would be pretty funny. Or, better yet, on the front bumper, all the perpetual motion advocates would have their heads explode. :D

It all depends on the focal length of the lens (in real life how far you are standing from the car). Here are two pictures of a Model S and two of a Model 3:

maxresdefault.jpg

Tesla-Model-S-3.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-in-parking-lot.jpg

models-jpg.221640

The first picture of each pair is more likely the feeling you will get from the car in real life, since they are taken from an ordinary viewing distance. The second picture in each pair is taken from far away with a telephoto lens (as was the picture of the blue Model 3).

It all depends on the focal length of the lens (in real life how far you are standing from the car). Here are two pictures of a Model S and two of a Model 3:

Not really completely relevant, though you are right in general of course.

The biggest thing here is, in the comparisons above by @eisbock: Model 3 renders have actually shown a rather incomplete looking car, given than the roofline is not shown, likely as a result of the rendering process. It makes the roof look more "forward" than it really is.

The renders were misleading.

The original prototype now looks much more sporty by comparison. Thoughts?

Original prototype
4Zt1kzY.png

Production candidate
KWwcsFV.png

I think the reason the trunk area behind the rear wheel looks longer on the blue release candidate is because the photo isn't a true profile shot. It's at a slight angle. We're seeing part of the rear face and visually incorporating that into the perceived length of the vehicle. Note that you can see part of the rear license plate in the spy shot; whereas that area is not visible on the render, which is depicted in true profile. Also, the wheels on the blue car are smaller than in the render so, visually, the proportion of car body above the wheel well appears greater than on the render, thus making the former seem like a taller vehicle.

While photos do lie in practice (for the many reasons listed above), I actually think the trunk area has been extended a bit, possibly upwards and/or downwards as well as backwards. It is hard to tell with the material we have, but it seems plausible as part of the trunk changes we know they have made (Elon's comment on fixing the trunk and more importantly the witnessed different trunk cut-out around the ligths).

That trunk proportions would have changed a little seems possible. Not certain, but possible.

Of all the renderings and actual photos of the Model 3, I like the ones from the Motor Trend photo-shoot at the Gigafactory best. It really helps to have proper lighting, professional gear and photographers to produce the most flattering results. I had my heart set on getting blue, but those gorgeous shots of the silver prototype have me wavering. Of course, there's no substitute for seeing the real car in person and having the ability to walk all around and sit inside it.

Reactions: CCWgr
Of all the renderings and actual photos of the Model 3, I like the ones from the Motor Trend photo-shoot at the Gigafactory best. It really helps to have proper lighting, professional gear and photographers to produce the most flattering results. I had my heart set on getting blue, but those gorgeous shots of the silver prototype have me wavering. Of course, there's no substitute for seeing the real car in person and having the ability to walk all around and sit inside it.

Why would we want most flattering results, that would be deceiving ourselves. The car, in reality, will be seen in many circumstances, both flattering and - more often - unflattering.

A mixture is great. PR-opaganda, not so much.

Why would we want most flattering results, that would be deceiving ourselves. The car, in reality, will be seen in many circumstances, both flattering and - more often - unflattering.

A mixture is great. PR-opaganda, not so much.
I think he is talking more about something closer to reality like seeing it in person. Some of the unflattering photos are unflattering because they were taken with poor equipment (like cell phones), conditions (for example in a hurry, so out of focus), and general distortion (even professional equipment have some amount of lens distortion, much less consumer).

Reactions: BluestarE3
Status
Not open for further replies.