Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the "faux" charge port door/side reflector is a separate lens/assembly. However as can be seen, the outboard taillight "hooks" forward underneath it. Therefore it couldn't open over the faux change port door, if the both inboard and outboard tail light assemblies opened with the trunk lid. The only way the outboard tail light could be attached to the trunk lid would be if the faux charge port door was attached to the trunk lid. I don't think that's the case, so I'm convinced the tail lights remain unchanged from alpha's relative to lid/fender mounting.
My only point was that its not a reflection. Its a real seam.

Has the back side slope changed? Did they increase the trunk size or opening by lengthening the top trunk area?

This could be an illusion due to the rolling shutter effect on the black car, or just the difference in camera rotation, but what do you think??

xSf0ePw.jpg

Hmm..... is the rear spoiler longer? Hmmmm. It doesn't look like it.

Look at the pics that @Pando listed.

Last edited:
so that looks like at least three cars.
One black with C pillar sensors
One black without C pillar sensors
One blue
In all the discussion/obsession over the trunk seam line, no one has commented on this post claiming that the new photos show three different cars. I do not see evidence of three different cars, just two, nor do I see evidence of any "C pillar sensors" in the photos.

It appears to me that the 3 is going into production with the same EAP hardware suite as is currently in the S/X, which would be the logical thing to do.

In any case, these new photos are great to see and the car looks awesome! Makes the competition look so last century...oh wait, there still isn't any competition because no other company offers a high speed DC charging network designed for long distance travel, nor does any other company offer a beautiful long range EV.

NOTE: no one has commented on the new interior photos showing a the continuous wood grain trim piece on the dash just in front of the air vent. Gorgeous.

And the fact that the display shows temperature in Centigrade just means that the driver selected for that, not that the Fahrenheit choice is not available.

I do not see evidence of three different cars, just two, nor do I see evidence of any "C pillar sensors" in the photos.
Edit: Very disappointed in you.

From several days ago:
Model-3-Camera-compare.jpg

There is also another black one (apparently without these C pillar devices), and the blue one.

And the fact that the display shows temperature in Centigrade just means that the driver selected for that, not that the Fahrenheit choice is not available.
And Elon said there would be no new customer facing tech. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
And Elon said there would be no new customer facing tech. ;)
meh, extra cameras aren't new tech... it's simply more of old tech.

It's probably important to figure out where those cameras are pointed...

Do they point to the ground like other cars with 360 views to aid in parking?
Are they short distance side cameras geared toward reading parking/street signs?
Are they wide view side cameras?
Are they narrow view long distance side cameras? (unlikely because they're too far back.)

These two pictures aren't a perfect angle match, but it certainly appears that the production 3 has gotten somewhat taller and been stretched.

The rear is the most striking difference, as the rear wheels appear to be sitting further inside the vehicle than in the original prototype, perhaps accounting for larger trunk space.

The original prototype now looks much more sporty by comparison. Thoughts?

Original prototype
4Zt1kzY.png

Production candidate
KWwcsFV.png

These two pictures aren't a perfect angle match, but it certainly appears that the production 3 has gotten somewhat taller and been stretched.

The rear is the most striking difference, as the rear wheels appear to be sitting further inside the vehicle than in the original prototype, perhaps accounting for larger trunk space.

Original prototype
4Zt1kzY.png

Production candidate
KWwcsFV.png
I think this is an illusion because the photo of the blue car is not a view straight at the side. The rear looks fatter because you are seeing some of the back window which makes the profile look taller at the rear. Need a photo with the exact same angle and focal distance to know for sure.
It's the same (or at least really really close)
My guess is that they invested major effort/money on CFD and wind tunnel testing at the alpha stage to minimize the drag coefficient. They aren't going to mess with that now just to respond to random criticism regarding the nose or trunk on internet message boards.

Just angle and bigger wheels IMHO.

Reactions: voltage
I do not see evidence of three different cars, just two, nor do I see evidence of any "C pillar sensors" in the photos.
I see (at least) 2 glossy black and a blue. The first spotted glossy black ones wheels have machined center logo'd 'coins' that would project thru the lug cover (CF in the alphas) and the sensor/camera on the c pillar - the other glossy black one spotted with the blue has wheels with a hole you can see thru to the hub (like in the car in Elon's posted video) and can not see the c pillar sensor/camera in any of it's shots.

Black-Tesla-Model-3-release-candidate-autopilot-side-camera-2-1.jpg
tesla-model-3-spy-photos.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.