Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a matte painted vehicle from the factory. It is high maintenance. It would not work for 95% of owners. You cannot use any polish, silicone, or wax based products on it AT ALL. That means no mechanical or even hand washes unless you are doing it, with special products specifically sourced for matte paint. It's not nearly as simple as personal preference between matte or traditionally glossy paint. BMW requires a signed disclaimer./release when they sell a matte vehicle, presumably because they got tired of dealing with the problems of getting silicone or shining products on it as almost all car wash products have.

What happens when you get silicone or wax on it? Does it actually ruin the paint somehow, or does it just get shinier?

I own a matte painted vehicle from the factory. It is high maintenance. It would not work for 95% of owners. You cannot use any polish, silicone, or wax based products on it AT ALL. That means no mechanical or even hand washes unless you are doing it, with special products specifically sourced for matte paint. It's not nearly as simple as personal preference between matte or traditionally glossy paint. BMW requires a signed disclaimer./release when they sell a matte vehicle, presumably because they got tired of dealing with the problems of getting silicone or shining products on it as almost all car wash products have.
I think Tesla did that Model 3 prototype in matte finish just to get attention. I do not believe that Tesla will offer any matte paint color choices when the 3 goes into production. As @eye.surgeon says, matte paint is too impractical for just about everyone to maintain.

:D I am excited thinking about how much more awesome a Model 3 will be than my "classic" S, which is of course pretty damn awesome!
I'm hoping that the Model 3 will start off the manufacturing line with the quality improvements that the Model S has seen over the years. It's a totally new car so I hope they get the manufacturing kinks out as soon as possible.

I'm hoping that the Model 3 will start off the manufacturing line with the quality improvements that the Model S has seen over the years. It's a totally new car so I hope they get the manufacturing kinks out as soon as possible.
It's probably too early to declare victory, and the X certainly had a rough first few months, but at ~6 months and ~6-7k cars in, the Model X seems to be sailing through production now, with very few issues. I was expecting a few weeks of production and QA, but my X was production-start-to-delivered in 11 days. Faster than my friend who took delivery of a Model S about a week before I did. And so far (knock on wood), my X is flawless.

What happens when you get silicone or wax on it? Does it actually ruin the paint somehow, or does it just get shinier?
It gets glossier. Not shiny, but greasy looking, and splotchy. Think rattle can paint job. And it's a biatch to restore back to matte finish. I like it on very specific vehicles (obviously, since I bought it) but it would be terrible for a daily driver. Mine gets used maybe once a month and otherwise is garaged.

To the person who said the matte colors look like boy racer cars I used to think so until I saw them on the new Mercedes. They are truly elegant. I wouldn't want one on my own car because it would drive me nuts but if I barely drove the car and was retired and had time to take care of it I would definitely consider it. I wouldn't want black though. Maybe grey or white...

matte-grey-mercedes-benz-sl63-amg-3.jpg

149355d1234278504-sl-63-amg-matte-paint-2008-mercedes-sl-63-amg-e-5-1_1600x0w.jpg

Elon said it probably makes sense to bring it to production. Of course, that was an off hand comment, and I doubt they've done actual market research and focus groups and whatever to actually decide that.

Sorry, it will have to be available. My wife is already committed to working overtime to pay for Matte Black with black wheels (and full glass roof if that costs extra).

It looks like my overtime will be going towards Ludicrous.

Elon said it probably makes sense to bring it to production. Of course, that was an off hand comment, and I doubt they've done actual market research and focus groups and whatever to actually decide that.
My bet is that there will be no matte paint color choices for the Model 3. I believe that it wouldn't be popular enough to be worth offering.

Are there any major car companies offering a matte black paint choice that is not a costly option? I know that Elon is not afraid to do things differently, but when he does there is almost always a rational reason for doing so. Even the rarely purchased Model S rear facing seats have their uses.

Reactions: melindav
There is no Tesla Supercharger that I am aware of in Groveland. I go through there several times a year on my way to Yosemite, and was there last Wednesday and last Sunday morning (yesterday). It is not shown on the Tesla Motors "Find Us" web page.

When you say "you checked", what does that mean?

There is a 80A Tesla HPWC at the Groveland Hotel which is shown on the Tesla Motors "Find Us" web page. I used it last Wednesday night. An HPWC is not a "Supercharger".

There is a thread about the possibility of a Supercharger coming to Groveland but no one has posted any information about construction starting, see Supercharger - Groveland (possible contract to build one pending)

Sorry that I just missed seeing that black Model 3 prototype. That would have really flipped me out! I have a reservation.
I looked at Teslarati.com, here is the link to what I saw, Groveland supercharger - TESLARATI.com, I guess this could be their "plan to construct," I took it as it was done already as it shows "4 stalls, availiable 24/7." Also figured it to be true as the Model 3 does not have the distance to do a round trip into Yosemite from the Manteca Supercharger, however, I am assuming it was going to Yosemite, it very well may not have been. Sorry for any confusion, I was aware of the destination charger at the Groveland hotel and I believe one single charging access at the Yosemite Falls Lodge, was just overjoyed when I saw it. Bummed I never heard of the model 3 before the day after the unveil, fell in love and reserved that day, would have waited in line for sure. Fingers crossed that the Ponderosa Ln chargers are done by the time I get my 3 as Yosemite is only 3.5 hours from me and I visit it multiple times per year camping and long day trips for hiking.

When I first looked, it had a picture of Tesla station and not the nearly abandoned looking lot it shows now.
Really? How odd.

The page at Groveland supercharger - TESLARATI.com clearly implies that a Tesla Supercharger is located in Groveland, giving an address and stating there are "4 Superchargers available 24/7".

That is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.