Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-opening doors are certainly an interesting thought for the possible rear door/C pillar sensor sightings. (Auto-tinted rear windows seem more like too wild to really make it...)

We (think we) know Model S is slated to get auto-opening doors at some stage, so it is not unfathomable those might have been designed and be in the testing fleet for Model 3 as well, even though launching with them seems less likely.

Model X uses skirt-mounted under-metal ultrasonic sensors for automatic door opening, but given the different nature of the Model X door setup, it is not unfathomable some completely different design might make it into Model 3/S...

The autonomous driving car certainly can/will benefit from automated doors, as shown in Tesla's infamous video. That they would have taken this into consideration in the Model 3 design process seems plausible.

The bland EV1 steering wheel and the shape on the top of the dash (the vent line on Model 3), as well as the way the closest part of the low dash bends towards the driver/passengers, certainly are very reminiscent of the Model 3 unveil prototype. Even the center console lines are similar-looking, though that area is of course more generic. I can definitely see the resemblance.

img_5430-jpg.221719

3-unveil-3-640x400.png

Please be careful!

The cup holders are in the same place.
The stalks and the steering wheel are in the same place.

GM may copy Ford and force Tesla to put in a HUD... the same way Ford forced the Model E to be a Model 3. (causing all sorts of confusion about progression and... iPhones.)

I wonder what will the 'gear selector' in M3 be like.
Steering column stick or just a pic on touch screen?
I would bet it will be exactly like the MS and MX because .......for goodness sake......the MS and MX would have to have any new technology first.

Lastly I would think the selector would be away from the screen because it would be too much of a travesty to not be able to shift gears if the screen goes out.

Model 3 seats and trim minimalist and classy ala S vs this cheap plastic job.

I don't think we know that yet. The warm grey of the EV1 is old fashioned, so of course it is not classy today.

We don't know the quality of the material used in the model 3. The color and design seem fine, but until the car can be examined we just don't know if Elon went cheap on the inside. Both the material choice and the fit and finish on the model S have not always been "top drawer". So I'm certainly not going to assume that they made great choices in the model 3.

I wonder what will the 'gear selector' in M3 be like.
Steering column stick or just a pic on touch screen?

I'd be surprised if it was on the screen, you'd have to dedicate space for selector buttons which seems like a waste.
The failure mode analysis would be interesting. I don't know if it's possible to even present safety critical functionally (assuming gear selection is) on that screen. The hoops to jump through to separate it from the non safety functionality seems like an unnecessarily difficult exercise.

Looks like it's just the "hard" portion of the seatback.
I wonder if they use that for structure?

This Honda Minivan seat is spring on frame.

Plastics can have temperature aging issues, but if you are going to spend that much money on a large tool to mold the plastic anyway, one would think it could replace some of the metal.
IMG_2727.JPG

Also, there are cameras surrounding the entire vehicle. Granted there's no way right now to record that we know of, they didn't seem to have trouble grabbing and recording video in the self driving demo.

I imagine someday an aftermarket device which records from all cameras at all times throughout the day. It'd be incredibly useful in case of theft, hit and run, accident while driving, etc.

F7AdPqR.jpg

That looks like something a thief would think they can steal.
I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a higher rate of break ins into the model 3
The display isn't an "iPad on a stick" as some have described it. From this view of the prototype, the pedestal looks pretty substantial and should, hopefully, deter any attempt to smash-grab-and-run.

full

A small LCD screen (relative to desktop ones at least) with no way to plug in to any other car or electronic device? Doubtful. Absolutely no way to flip this for $$.
Read what I wrote again.

It LOOKS like something a thief would THINK THEY CAN steal.

From the outside it looks like a table docked on the dash, it's not unreasonable for someone to think it's a regular tablet that they can undock

Status
Not open for further replies.