Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems pretty obvious to me. The screen needs to be that height so that the speedometer is at the right height. So the only way to integrate the screen would be to design a plastic surround with a hump. I'm not convinced this would look better. The other way would be to raise the dash height drastically, but that affects the other elements of the design (reduces the visibility out the window and would affect Tesla's new AC system design).

True - but if we had an instrument cluster or HUD that center screen could have been integrated lower. Then the center screen is just displaying optional info not critical stuff that has to be close to eye level.

It looks fairly straightforward to me. Here is what it looks like finished:

img_3928-jpg.224433

but this earlier picture of an RC had same flap in black, and it looks like it can flip open the way it does now. I'm not sure I see the problem.

Tesla-Model-3-release-candidate-side-profile.jpg
It's hard to tell size from pictures, but is seems much larger to me. Tesla never officially confirmed that the Model 3 will use the same connector as S/X, did they? And Elon has hinted at a SuperCharger 3.0, which may require a different connector. There could be several possibilities, and they could be different based on region. Things such as an augmented Tesla connector, similar to how CCS augments either J1772 or Mennekes for DCFC. Or in Europe, where Tesla already uses a Mennekees, maybe it simply is a CCS connector. Or a new connector altogether. Or no change from S/X connector. Definitely wild speculation on my part at this point.

It's hard to tell size from pictures, but is seems much larger to me. Tesla never officially confirmed that the Model 3 will use the same connector as S/X, did they? And Elon has hinted at a SuperCharger 3.0, which may require a different connector. There could be several possibilities, and they could be different based on region. Things such as an augmented Tesla connector, similar to how CCS augments either J1772 or Mennekes for DCFC. Or in Europe, where Tesla already uses a Mennekees, maybe it simply is a CCS connector. Or a new connector altogether. Or no change from S/X connector. Definitely wild speculation on my part at this point.

Indeed it does look much larger.

Future Model S and X could get that too by enlargening their ports to encompass the whole side of the tail light assembly.

There's a thread for this speculation:

Speculation - New charging plug?

That is an X

exactly my thoughts. Too massive. Maybe an X refresh is under way too. Like the S refresh when the X came out.

It's not an X. This is the side view of the same car, which was also posted in this thread.
tesla3a01-e1493388685149.jpg

Note the hockey stick doorhandles.

Note the lack of the FWD.

Read the full thread.

Last edited:
It's not an X. This is the side view of the same car, which was also posted in this thread.
tesla3a01-e1493388685149.jpg

Note the hockey stick doorhandles.

Note the lack of the FWD.

Read the full thread.

...err? Did you quote my message by mistake?

I/we were talking about the bigger charge port door on Model 3 mules. Incidentally on that white one as well...

I agree the claims that the Model 3 mule is Model X are mad, but not unprecedented. With Model X mules some people were convinced it was smaller and was showing Model 3/Y instead. Mistakes happen to all, but some also do not have a very "trained" eye for this.

A bit like some people saying Model 3 nose has not changed... ;) ;)

Last edited:
I was not a fan of the pop down cup holders, so I'm glad to see they've changed that. I also hope there are more traditional physical buttons on the steering wheel like the S and X, and not just those two ball things like the latest Alpha viewings. Something like a dedicated volume and Tune/preset button.

True - but if we had an instrument cluster or HUD that center screen could have been integrated lower. Then the center screen is just displaying optional info not critical stuff that has to be close to eye level.
But this is a $35K car that "feels like a space ship." If everything was added that people want of this forum, you no longer have a $35K electric car, it would be much more and you might as well purchase an S.

I am fine with the minimalist interior with an electric car that gets 200+ miles at this price point. Some of the reservation holders will cancel because of the interior and wait several years for an offering from one of the foreign competitors for the price equal to an X.

...err? Did you quote my message by mistake?

I/we were talking about the bigger charge port door on Model 3 mules. Incidentally on that white one as well...

I agree the claims that the Model 3 mule is Model X are mad, but not unprecedented. With Model X mules some people were convinced it was smaller and was showing Model 3/Y instead. Mistakes happen to all, but some also do not have a very "trained" eye for this.

A bit like some people saying Model 3 nose has not changed... ;) ;)
No, I just misread your post. Apologies. Fixed.

I guess if you hardly ever spend time in luxury cars, you have different standards. Personally, I can't stand the look of wood in a car. Wood belongs in the woods. I notice a lot have analog clocks in them. Why? Anyone can read a digital clock faster. I couldn't even tell you the color of the stitching on my car, never bothered to look in that detail. My only complaint about my Mazda is that after 13 years, the adhesive on the door fabric seems to be deteriorating, and I have to glue it back in. If I don't have to do that with my Model 3, I will be more than happy.

Looks like wood is in. It's going to be beautiful with a lighter dash instead of the black.

upload_2017-4-28_17-33-36.png

The screen and it's integration seem like an afterthought. The wooden board for a dash looks like an afterthought. Having an a/c vent behind the unintegrated screen seems like an oversight.

Badly need the final reveal to reveal a nice(r) interior.

As has been stated many times before: this is the final interior. At that late stage i.e. A couple of short months before cars will start rolling off the line do you seriously think anything could change?!

Looks like wood is in. It's going to be beautiful with a lighter dash instead of the black.

View attachment 224863

Assume we're going to have multiple options here such as unvarnished wood or open pore wood like in the BMW i3, glossy wood, Carbon fibre. Maybe the early reservation holders will get an extra option such as a different weave carbon fibre or something. That would be fairly easy to add to cars without the line being disrupted and would cost a lot but would be a neat reward for people who queued up.

Well I think it is obvious we are talking in the context of the same general design. Of course if you have a cluster then things can change significantly, but that's a completely different design (screen might make more sense to be landscape and essentially you end up with a mini Model S/X).

Status
Not open for further replies.