Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this really what the model 3 looks like now?

As a Tesla fan this makes me feel sick to my stomach. It seems to be getting uglier and uglier with each iteration.

This used to be a super sexy car.

gallery-6.jpg

Completely agree

Finally, a straight on side view for comparison :)
giphy.gif

Thanks McHoffa.

The proportions in the back have definitely changed... and not in a good way. The new version looks more like a Prius. The old one was sexy as hell. I sure hope the camera angle is playing tricks on us because if it's not then Tesla managed to take the 3 out of S3XY.

Is this really what the model 3 looks like now?

As a Tesla fan this makes me feel sick to my stomach. It seems to be getting uglier and uglier with each iteration.

This used to be a super sexy car.

gallery-6.jpg
the pix you posted is CEG and the test track camera phone photo is distorted (or has rear wheels that are not round), so don't get too worked up based on the spy shot images.

The recent nighttime video in Ohio had me breathing a sigh of relief. This latest testing car spy shot not so much. I really hope that the car looks better than this when compared from the same angles as the Motor Trend and Tesla marketing shots.

EDIT: I remember when the Model X spy shots were released with the video of the high speed testing and it looked terrible at the time. I saw one on the road the other day and it looked pretty good. I'm holding out hope that the same occurs with the Model 3.

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks to me like the shape has remained constant. The wheel options are changing... And the cameras in the T-logo and pillars are new, but otherwise it looks like they are staying with the original design.

Also, comparing distant cellphone photos to the CGI render from the marketing department isn't a good/fair comparison. Just look at the totally blacked out (fake) windows in that old CGI rendering. Some people are going to wish their car looked like that, but it isn't realistic.

Wow. Just goes to show the impact larger wheels have on the "sportiness" of a vehicle...

Also notice that you can hardly see any of the contouring of the body in the spy shot due to the quality and the black paint. Watch the lines just fade away in the gif. That gives the spy shot vehicle its bulbous look. Otherwise they look pretty darn close to me.

Reactions: SteveG3 and DR61
1) It was joke referring to Elon Musk saying features are not needed in Model 3 because they are not needed when sitting in a taxi either. :)

2) Camera cleanliness is a genuine concern for autonomous driving, especially one without 360 radard and LIDAR... much more important than car cleanliness in general. No?

Probably not anymore concerning than cleaning your windshield...I'd imagine.

Two new independent spy shots (maybe same test drive?):

First pic, credit to /u/sodiepopsboyyyyyyyyy

anxex7tnrquy.jpg

Second set of pics, credit to /u/gamerfreak4life

WRO3O6l.jpg

3IauLhm.jpg
the second pix is a great example of what a cell phone pix can do when attempting to stitch together photos - there's a 3"-4" jump in alignments that mess with the overall proportions.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 1.16.34 PM.png

and I've never liked white, but totally would consider the Pearl White!

I think with those white image we can put the duckface debate to rest - it has definitely changed to a less nosy one (new production cadidate vs. old prototype). Basically smoothened out, lowered from the top to a bit less controversial shape. Less/different crease.

As for the rest of the car, it is harder to see if anything has changed externally (aside from obvious details like AP2 cameras). Sometimes I think I may see some changes in the rear bumper area for example, then at other times I'm not so sure.

Great images all in the recent postings, thanks for sharing.

Thanks McHoffa.

The proportions in the back have definitely changed... and not in a good way. The new version looks more like a Prius. The old one was sexy as hell. I sure hope the camera angle is playing tricks on us because if it's not then Tesla managed to take the 3 out of S3XY.
Fyi the guy who took the video of the model 3 in the rain said it looked AMAZING in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.