Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same reason with seams at the front (left and right to the lights), they are offset somewhat:
blue-model-3-windshield-front-04272017-teslarati.jpg
Can't believe I haven't seen that photo yet. That blue looks stunning.

Wait... I've just realized that after reading your comment. Had to go back to the reveal event and look at the videos where they open the doors. It looks really weird with the metal extending further than the glass of the window! (It's not bothering me but I don't think I've ever seen a door/window design like that unless I'm not remembering correctly.

Finally found the picture of how this design issue may be resolved:

2018_tesla_mod3_0007.jpg85740817-2ceb-43ca-86e0-9b3920fed886Original.jpg

IMO, it is not the best solution, but it is a solution.

Consider the alternatives, it could be worse, GULLWING DOORS! :eek:
Actually, seriously now (I know, I try to limit that) the guy with the google page has a whole collection of those renders in that series that really show all of the shut lines and moulding lines. They are about 3/4 the way down, search for "3D Computer Renderings"
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q2xNd09Wam91b29IZVJNNDFBeFYyYktpcFJPbVln

[edit]
ok, thats not annoying at all, you can't search for the section titles, but its really there, honest

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
A question for the group. In looking at the 'gear shift' letters on the screen in these pictures, it seems they are quite small for something so important. Am I missing something or does one have to 'aim' at these relatively small letters to initiate a gear shift?

A question for the group. In looking at the 'gear shift' letters on the screen in these pictures, it seems they are quite small for something so important. Am I missing something or does one have to 'aim' at these relatively small letters to initiate a gear shift?

Those are just to indicate what gear you are in, there will be an actually physical shifter to actually change gears.

First, it's not important while actually driving and second, they aren't that small. If anything I'd say they are larger than anything you are used to.

FrPGN0.jpg

The current gear is probably the size of an adult fingernail at arm's length.

Even if you couldn't recognize the letters they are in the order P R N D with the current gear being pretty obvious

7MVtR6.jpg

(in park obviously)

If you can't read text the size of your fingernail at arm's length then you might consider an eye exam.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde and cdub
First, it's not important while actually driving and second, they aren't that small. If anything I'd say they are larger than anything you are used to.

FrPGN0.jpg

The current gear is probably the size of an adult fingernail at arm's length.

Even if you couldn't recognize the letters they are in the order P R N D with the current gear being pretty obvious

7MVtR6.jpg

(in park obviously)

If you can't read text the size of your fingernail at arm's length then you might consider an eye exam.
I'm also assuming that when its in R you get the extra hint with the rear camera view and trajectory

A friend of mine says she saw a red Model 3 on Hwy 237 (San Jose, CA) yesterday. It was likely this car. And yes, she knows Teslas and knows what a 3 looks like, she was very clear that it was not an S. I quizzed her. :D

For what it's worth, a few weeks ago I saw a red Tesla with manufactures plates driving around Larkin@Chestnut in San Francsico. It didn't immediately catch my attention (a red 3 is the last thing I'd expect to see), and when I noticed the plates I also saw it was badged as well (looked like 75D), which only confused me more. I was on foot and couldn't catch up as I started to process what may have been in front of me. It would have made a very strange testing location, given the nearby tourist attraction of Lombard Street.

I'm sure everyone on here already knows this but I figured it's worth mentioning since these sightings are pretty fleeting and the spotters might be flustered when it happens. I think the quickest and easiest ways to differentiate a Model 3 from an S or X are the following:

Rear View - No chrome strip on the trunk lid just above the license plate.
Side View - Door handles are shaped like a hockey stick.
Front View - The Duck Bill, no 'stache or nose cone.

Model 3 Differences.jpg

Hope this helps any of you lucky enough to spot one in the wild.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.