Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys check out the pic of the silver S and blue Model 3 together. Now look at the roof line of the blue model 3. Doesn't it seem like it's not a full glass roof. I'm seeing maybe a foot of seamless blue metal, after that I can't tell. We know the "metal roof" model 3's would only have the front part of the roof be metal. Is this possibly what we're seeing here? Or maybe the sunroof variant?
Reflection from the sky. Not body color.

Reflection from the sky. Not body color.

What about the fact that there is no visible seam between the side metal and the crossbar. I have a hard time believing that the reflection from the sky would cause the metal above the door to blend so seamlessly into the crossbar if the crossbar was underneath glass. I still stand by my theory that this car has an openable sunroof and the others are the fixed glass roof (the lighter blue section could be glass reflecting the sky).

crossbar 2.jpg

EDIT: Or maybe not. I can sort of see where a seam may be closer to the edge of the car. It's not the clearest picture. Here's what we should be seeing:

crossbar 3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now assuming the Model 3 will have an all-glass roof standard, based on 1) Elon said glass was really cheap, 2) the old standard metal Model S roof was dropped in favor of the now-standard all-glass roof, and 3) having the dark-tinted glass roof standard on the Model 3 will simplify the manufacturing process. I've seen no RC M3s with metal roofs. The tinting and IR/UV filters in the roof glass seem to be effective, based on the front-seat passengers in the test cars looking to be in shade.

I'm now assuming the Model 3 will have an all-glass roof standard, based on 1) Elon said glass was really cheap, 2) the old standard metal Model S roof was dropped in favor of the now-standard all-glass roof, and 3) having the dark-tinted glass roof standard on the Model 3 will simplify the manufacturing process. I've seen no RC M3s with metal roofs. The tinting and IR/UV filters in the roof glass seem to be effective, based on the front-seat passengers in the test cars looking to be in shade.
A Tesla store rep told me on Sunday the all-glass roof will be standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T and plankeye
It would make no sense for Tesla to, for example, use a slightly different silver to paint a Model 3 RC car when Tesla is currently using silver to paint S/X cars. It's the same paint.

My assumption is that the prototype intro event cars were hand built by some 3rd party custom fabricator, not by Tesla themselves.
So, I would expect that the alpha prototype paint could be very different from the RC paint done by Tesla.

( But I could be wrong about all this... just guessing. )

I just read on the internet that "A Tesla store rep told me on Sunday the all-glass roof will be standard." therefore it must be true.

...on a more serious note, anyone heading out to take pictures please have a polarizing filter ready, this way we can get clearer pictures inside the windows. If you are using your cell phone you can just hold some polarizing sun glasses in front of the lens. Not the greatest solution but it does work. This will remove the glare from the windows and provide a much better view of the inside of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T
My assumption is that the prototype intro event cars were hand built by some 3rd party custom fabricator, not by Tesla themselves.
So, I would expect that the alpha prototype paint could be very different from the RC paint done by Tesla.

( But I could be wrong about all this... just guessing. )
Yeah, I dunno. My gut reaction is why would they use special paint on a Model 3 alpha. But then I remember there was a matte black alpha, and there's no way that's going to make it to production (I await the disagrees from those that want it!). So maybe the silver was special paint. I still lean toward it was just very good paint job, auto show grade wash/detail/wax, and good lighting that's making it appear "shinier" than an RC car driving around a parking lot photographed by a phone.

In a less sarcastic response... I'm sorry to disappoint, but store reps definitely do not have any inside knowledge of future things coming out of the factory. I can assure you of this from many instances of photographic evidence on TMC, and then talking to a local rep and them not knowing about it. They might have an idea of when they'll get a test drive car... after production has started, and it's within a few weeks of them getting one. Source: a Model X reservation holder that obsessed (much more than I am over the Model 3) over the forums and well everything Tesla for several months during the Model X rollout.

Actually, a service center technician might have more info, but probably not quite yet. They get taken to the factory for training (or at least they did in Model S/Model X era ... that may change with Model 3 and higher volume), and even when they were trying to catch up on the Model X backlog I spoke with one technician that had been flown out just to help on the production line.

You can see the metal structure clearly above the windshield Tesla shows first picture of Model 3 body-in-white

We have seen more and more pictures of Tesla Model 3 release candidates lately, but as production is getting closer, we are hoping to soon see some production units. While Tesla is not quite there yet, they released a glimpse of the Model 3 body-in-white today. A picture of the Model 3 chassis leaked earlier this year, but this new look is the first official image of the vehicle’s structure. The way the back is open shows that Tesla really opened up the trunk’s opening – something that previously worried some reservations holders.

The production line for the Model 3 is not quite ready yet, but Tesla confirmed progress on the body line.Earlier this month, Tesla gave an update on the Model 3 production plan and they said that they completed the expansion of their paint shop for the Model 3: “Paint shop preparation has been completed and installations of our dedicated Model 3 body welding and general assembly lines are progressing well.”

upload_2017-5-16_18-57-47.png

You can see the metal structure clearly above the windshield Tesla shows first picture of Model 3 body-in-white

. The way the back is open shows that Tesla really opened up the trunk’s opening – something that previously worried some reservations holders.

I don't understand how you can tell Tesla opened up the trunk's opening based on this picture. Is there another picture? Would you please clarify.

Thought the same thing. Some of Lambert's comments make no sense.
I believe he's also the one that keeps hyping up the HUD thing even though Tesla never said there was a HUD. It took Elon explicitly saying no, before he backed off (although at the bottom at the article Lambert still continued to promote the idea of a HUD).

Electrek does have a lot of useful and exclusive information, but sometimes the subjective parts get a bit too far.

Reactions: Gerasimental
I believe he's also the one that keeps hyping up the HUD thing even though Tesla never said there was a HUD. It took Elon explicitly saying no, before he backed off (although at the bottom at the article Lambert still continued to promote the idea of a HUD).

Electrek does have a lot of useful and exclusive information, but sometimes the subjective parts get a bit too far.

Everybody hyped up a HUD. But he's just too biased sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.