Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: My car is in the shop on day 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If people said what you put in quotes, then I would agree with you. That's extremely rude and inappropriate to call people looking for assistance stupid and an idiot. But fortunately no one said anything even "along the line" of what you quoted. Nice try though -- using quotes to quote things that were never said. Anything to make a point I guess, even if it takes exaggeration or embellishment.

I'm not trying anything. Those quotes were just examples of what I'd do if people say that. That's why I said along the lines. And sometimes, people don't have to say it to your face to make you feel certain way. Anyway, you have your opinions, I have mine. We don't have to agree. I'm out.

Reactions: Planned_Apathy
But fortunately no one said anything even "along the line" of what you quoted.
Well it was suggested that the poster is just confused and has little reason to be unhappy despite the fact the car wouldn't charge and lost 80 miles to vampire drain overnight.

It's not name-calling, but that's pretty damn insulting if you ask me.

You can also add in plenty of nitpicking, such as the difference between the experience in picking up a car and problems with the car in the first day of ownership. That type of thing would likely just frustrate someone looking for advice more than anything else.

Does anyone know if you click on the regen message if it gives any information on why it’s displaying?

I ran into this the first few days of ownership with my Model 3 and thought something was wrong with the car until I searched in the manual and saw an explanation for the message. Wish the explanation just popped up if I tapped the message in the first place.

I also had a meh first day of ownership with charging. Every 120v outlet I plugged the car into tripped the outlet’s circuit (in my garage, at the deck at work which has these plugs specifically for electric cars). So I thought there was an issue. But then I plugged into my parent’s 240v outlet, which I had installed specifically for an electric car and it worked.

Replaced the 120v GFCI outlet in my garage and then I could charge from there.

Wow. some people are definitely hostile here, rather than helpful. You could experience PTSD for posting or asking "novice" questions here. Stupid questions are not allowed or you will be shot down. Good way to attract new members.

So, I just use "Ignore" option and keep on posting. Ka-chow

I'm honestly shocked the "FUD #fakenews shorter troll!" pitchforks haven't come out yet. Usually they would have been deployed by now. Maybe this place is slowly improving. Baby steps. :D

I don't know about you, but if I ask people questions, any people, coworkers, friends, relatives, strangers, and if what I get back is something along the line of "why are you such an idiot?", "it's not a problem, stupid", and then play down my concerns, I'm sure as hell I won't talk to that person again.
I'm sure there are a lot of helpful replies too. But some I thought were unnecessary harsh. But that's just me...and a bunch of other people who liked my post :)

Interestingly enough, you’re the only one to use the words idiot and stupid.

Reactions: RedOctober
Well it was suggested that the poster is just confused and has little reason to be unhappy despite the fact the car wouldn't charge and lost 80 miles to vampire drain overnight. It's not name-calling, but that's pretty damn insulting if you ask me.

What if everything was normal so he really does have little reason to be unhappy? Should he not be told that?

I pointed out that he may be talking about tapering instead of the charge because he does say this:

The charge had dropped from 180 miles to 98 overnight? What happened? So, now we have a car that doesn't charge.

You and others seem to expect people to tell him something is not right, and that he is right in telling us there is a problem. But what if when he tells us that the car "doesn't charge" he means the charging rate? Otherwise, why use those words? The car doesn't charge, and also loses its charge due to vampire drain in your view, yet that's not even what he told us since the car does charge -- he charged it overnight then perhaps the next morning went to charge it and noticed the charging rate was 80 miles down --- perhaps because of tapering. I don't know and either do you. We want to find out. You want us to coddle him and agree with him --- I say he just needs the blunt facts to try to help him out. Babies need coddling -- adults need facts.

Hopefully, @kathlam will come back and let us know the result of his service visit. We are here to help (and to learn) even though in doing so I seem to get more disagrees from trying to help than by chewing people out, where I get more likes. Strange.

Last edited:
I don't know why you think OP is talking about charging rate. From the context, it seems pretty clear to me that the car failed to charge at all overnight, and that coupled with massive vampire drain caused the estimated range of the battery to drop from 190 miles to under 100. If the car won't charge, even when plugged in, it becomes bricked eventually, so I don't fault them for using the term. You're trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the car, I would much rather give it to the new owner who is obviously new to the forum and may not know how to use all the terms correctly.

This thread is on page 3 now, and it seems pretty clear at this point that @kathlam isn't coming back. I just hope that we treat the next new, frustrated owner a little better.

EDIT - By the way, there is no home charging solution I'm aware of for Model 3 that has a charge rate anywhere close to 90 miles an hour.

EDIT - By the way, there is no home charging solution I'm aware of for Model 3 that has a charge rate anywhere close to 90 miles an hour.

We decided we would try charging at a supercharger first thing on Sunday. Guess what?

If you read his post which you find clear -- and I do not -- he was at the supercharger on Sunday - which is day 2. Overnight was Saturday to Sunday.

This thread is on page 3 now, and it seems pretty clear at this point that @kathlam isn't coming back. I just hope that we treat the next new, frustrated owner a little better.

My guess is that he's not back because he's embarrassed that it was user error. In doing so, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that his skin is not as thin as you think it is.;)

Last edited:
I did read the post. They had planned to go to a supercharger on sunday, but never made it because the car lost so much range overnight.

The guy is in SF and he can't make it to a supercharger then to the service centre (if it won't charge) with 98 miles of range? Okay. I guess I missed that part of his post.

The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind ;-)

Just because I have a tag line doesn't mean I follow it. It's there to remind me to follow it because I can get stuck in my ways. However, to be fair, I've actually yet to form an opinion. I was just trying to rule out normal operation and ended up having to dispute allegations that I am rude to the OP. Re-reading the OP's post you are probably right that he is saying it won't charge at all and that it lost a ton of miles overnight. If so, there's clearly something wrong with the car. But his other comments about the little update clock, that Tesla owners see regularly, and it does it overnight by itself, but that he wants service to do, and that he highlights in red (shouldn't the not charging and vampire drain be highlighted in red? They seem much more important if true), and then asking to escalate his concern when he just dropped off his vehicle, seemed over the top to me.

Early production of a new car always come with some problems. I remembered when I got my very first production FIAT 500 in 2011. My car sat in dealerships 4 or 5 times in the first year for different things. After that it got better and better. So don't lose heart on Tesla yet. I am sure they will make this car better and better.
I am pretty sure the current fiat 500 was introduced before 2011. I am pretty sure I saw it in Europe in 2008 or 2009. I thought they just were shipping those from Europe but could be mistaken

Really hope Tesla is not like a FIAT but more like a Toyota. Have owned Toyotas since 1990 and it never went to the dealer except for fluid changes, tires, and clutches. My Celica GT-S had 410,000 miles and still ran strong. Sold it back to the dealership to display in their showrooms.
I am 37 I remember hearing these complaints of Fiat in Europe 30 years ago, mainly because of the Fiat Uno and Fiat Typo.

30 years ago man. Car manufacturing has changed a lot in 30 years. Trust me my father who has driven nearly 500,000 miles in 3 fiats with not a single issue besides regular maintenance can assess.

Reactions: Oldman and cellogig
I am pretty sure the current fiat 500 was introduced before 2011. I am pretty sure I saw it in Europe in 2008 or 2009. I thought they just were shipping those from Europe but could be mistaken

The North American version was redesigned from the European model and built in Mexico starting in 2011 (all the VIN's start with "3"). It is larger than the European version. I believe they are now built in Poland and shipped to North America. Sales are crap on all FIAT products in North America and they have the lowest score on the JD powers reliability survey.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
The North American version was redesigned from the European model and built in Mexico starting in 2011 (all the VIN's start with "3"). It is larger than the European version. I believe they are now built in Poland and shipped to North America. Sales are crap on all FIAT products in North America and they have the lowest score on the JD powers reliability survey.

Indeed, Fiat has a terrible reputation for reliability here.

One of our former Au Pairs is from Austria and is considering purchase of the Fiat produced Jeep Renegade over there because she got to drive a compact SUV for the two years she lived with us.

We told her NOT to buy the Fiat version of a Jeep! :)

What if everything was normal so he really does have little reason to be unhappy? Should he not be told that?

I pointed out that he may be talking about tapering instead of the charge because he does say this:

You and others seem to expect people to tell him something is not right, and that he is right in telling us there is a problem. But what if when he tells us that the car "doesn't charge" he means the charging rate? Otherwise, why use those words? The car doesn't charge, and also loses its charge due to vampire drain in your view, yet that's not even what he told us since the car does charge -- he charged it overnight then perhaps the next morning went to charge it and noticed the charging rate was 80 miles down --- perhaps because of tapering. I don't know and either do you. We want to find out. You want us to coddle him and agree with him --- I say he just needs the blunt facts to try to help him out. Babies need coddling -- adults need facts.

Hopefully, @kathlam will come back and let us know the result of his service visit. We are here to help (and to learn) even though in doing so I seem to get more disagrees from trying to help than by chewing people out, where I get more likes. Strange.
You seem to know an awful lot about what I think, which is pretty interesting given I haven't stated much on here.

The main issue is that yours/other posts are working from the assumption that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car until provided definitive proof otherwise. And you're twisting the poster's words in any way possible to support the idea that there's nothing with the car. The poster literally said the car "never could start charging" and "we have a car that doesn't charge" yet somehow you're suggesting that the car does accept a charge? What magic words did the poster have to say to get that across? The idea that the poster was confusing total charge with charge rate seems absurd, because no home charging solution is going to charge at a 180 or 92 mile per hour rate to begin with.

Something to consider: people aren't going to care about what someone tells them if they think they're being rude or condescending. So perhaps someone thinks they're being helpful by being "blunt," but really that's just being counterproductive because it ignores basic human psychology.

Something to consider: people aren't going to care about what someone tells them if they think they're being rude or condescending.

That's quite the attack on me and it makes a lot of assumptions that are not true at all including calling my comments to the OP rude or condescending.

But I'm sure you wouldn't attack me so rudely without at least some facts in support of your position. So please quote just one of my posts here to support your position that I was rude or condensing to the OP.

That's quite the attack on me and it makes a lot of assumptions that are not true at all including calling my comments to the OP rude or condescending.

But I'm sure you wouldn't attack me so rudely without at least some facts in support of your position. So please quote just one of my posts here to support your position that I was rude or condensing to the OP.
I specifically worded that statement to be generalized in nature and not directed at you or anyone in particular.