Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the ease of placing big grocery bags or boxes into the trunk is the question, not the actual amount of trunk space, which looks to be adequate. It doesn't look like it'd be easy loading bulky objects.

Not a deal breaker for me. I've had my current car for 2 years. I've used my trunk maybe 1-2 times. I keep all my groceries in my front seat. I shop at whole foods daily so I need to keep an eye on my precious cargo (food from the hot bar). I actually get anxiety when I have things in the trunk because :

1) I can't tell if everything is ok. Which results in me stopping often

2) the banging of items in my trunk annoys me beyond belief. Which also results in me stopping.

I pray for the day that a trunk less model 3 is available ;)

The trunk could easily be increased by 2ft in diagonal height whilst keeping the glass roof. Have the glass come down to just behind the rear passengers. Almost a liftback then. Someone with better photoshopping skills could do this properly on both an open and closed trunk image then tweet Elon it. :)

You could get a washing machine in this then. It would be massive.

3 roof.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: dctrombly and mdevp
Since Elon tweeted that the Model 3 would have an optional trailer hitch, owners can easily attach a bicycle carrier or tow a utility trailer to move bulky items. Not as convenient as a hatchback, but a viable option to get these jobs done.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
I'm hoping the final version is lift back but I'm getting regardless. I'm also probably getting a Y, which I expect to be Porsche macan sized
The trunk could easily be increased by 2ft in diagonal height whilst keeping the glass roof. Have the glass come down to just behind the rear passengers. Almost a liftback then. Someone with better photoshopping skills could do this properly on both an open and closed trunk image then tweet Elon it. :)

View attachment 170784

This is exactly what I was thinking. Put the crossbeam right behind the rear seat headrest.

View attachment 170784

Of course Tesla could have done it (and I believe they will with Y) but it would look too much like a Prius. Current shape is an eye candy and perfect first entry in the affordable segment.

Reactions: PaulJB
The main competitors to the Model 3 in especially Europe, is the BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class and Audi S4. They don't come in hatchback, but instead all have a regular trunk, and a station wagon configuration.

Just from driving on the roads there, I didn't get the impression that station wagons outsold regular trunk versions of those vehicles. They're of course much more common there than over here though, but it's not a majority.

Station wagons are very common in Germany. Of some models, they surely make up the majority of sales. Especially on business vehicles that travelling salesmen and customer service people use. VW Passat, Audi A4 / A6 come to mind immediately, closely followed by C-class and 3-series/5-series. E-class is still very often sold in limousine form, especially for taxis.

Of course Tesla could have done it (and I believe they will with Y) but it would look too much like a Prius. Current shape is an eye candy and perfect first entry in the affordable segment.

I don't know why they couldn't have had almost the exact same look with a liftback (minus the ginormous one-piece rear glass roof). Still disappointed, but I'm kind of over it, if the trunk opening is enlarged by the time it makes it to production.

Its clear from Elon's tweet that the choice was adult-sized headroom using the glass roof at the expense of the hatchback. Some have commented on the lack of need for driving around 5 adults, and that the hatchback trunk would have been more useful. I can understand that.

Nonetheless, could this decision be another sign indicating that Tesla intends to start some kind of Uber-like ride sharing business (but autonomous) in the next decade, and that the Model 3 will be the staple car used for it?

Reactions: favo
My prediction is that this platform will be so successful over the next 5 years that TM will need to create at least 3x the number of current standard customizations (colors, interiors, roof styles, trunk styles) so customers will feel that their cars are unique & different enough to stand out from every other car on the road! Autonomous driving capabilities, Auto-opening doors and trunks, Summon, are all prerequisites for fully Driverless Uber/Lyft style services. Introduction of redundant autopilot hardware and newly formed laws, and insurance policies, will signal the beginning of these services.