Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Numeral)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
edited_1486321264468.jpg

Sean on Twitter

Reactions: ohmman
Wait... Don't trademarks, like copyrights, expire after a certain period of non-use? Disney has repeatedly attempted to extend the 'Mickey Mouse' laws indefinitely. But I don't think they have done so... yet. They do make sure to constantly use the character, though he should have been in the public domain more than fifty years ago.

I cannot for the life of me conceive of how a court would uphold a trademark that hasn't been in use for around 100 years. Something of that sort, obviously brought forth as a means to delay the progress of a potential competitor, should be deemed a frivolous pursuit and dismissed without merit from the outset. Yet, I understand why Tesla chose not to bother fighting it.

Wait... Don't trademarks, like copyrights, expire after a certain period of non-use?

I think they do if they are not somehow maintained by the owner. Ford actually had a Model S in the early 1900's, but I guess they didn't pursue ownership of that trademark and that's how Tesla got it. They might have registered Model E some time ago in anticipation of an "E"lectric car they could use that badge on.

I think it was reported that Ford re-applied for 'Model E' some months AFTER Tesla put in their application.
I have recently been involved in a trademark dispute, so I know a tiny bit about this (but not very much). What I do know is that the calendar matters as much as usage. Since Ford has plans to use the Model E trademark, and since they already had the trademark, I believe Tesla has a very low chance of taking it from them.

Wait... Don't trademarks, like copyrights, expire after a certain period of non-use? Disney has repeatedly attempted to extend the 'Mickey Mouse' laws indefinitely. But I don't think they have done so... yet. They do make sure to constantly use the character, though he should have been in the public domain more than fifty years ago.
It looks like the rat has increased the copyright laws to around 110 years after creation.

Mickey-Mouse-Curve-1-e1451928012325.png

The next expiration date is 2023, so expect to see heavy lobbying for another increase shortly.

More info How Mickey Mouse Keeps Changing Copyright Law