Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 OEM Tires Bald at 19,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have been going to Tesla to service my car regularly (fixing a rattle in back that still persists, replacing a corrupt MicroSD card, fixing a loose dashboard, alignment) and they just told me on my last visit that my tires were down to 3/32.

The PSAs here are that a) Michelin treadwear warranties do not apply to OEM tires 2) Tesla will not cover the tires under the treadwear warranty 3) call Michelin directly to see if they can help 4) if you get aftermarket tires, make sure you rotate them (and get receipts) every 6,000-8,000 miles.

After a couple of calls to Michelin, getting friendly people to help, and going to a local authorized Michelin retailer, I was able to get my tires covered at 50%.

I learned that OEM tires are generally made with inferior rubber than the exact same aftermarket tires, so OEM tires generally last much shorter than rated.

I had considered the Michelin CrossClimate+ as a replacement and my tire shop warned me they would be super-loud with the tread that looks similar to the discontinued Goodyear Aquatred. I am going with Michelin Premier A/S tires as recommended by the retailer. He said it was the best balance of performance handling, noise and treadwear. He said the Primacy MXM4 were sh*t tires. Given he is not making money of the sales of the new ones and is recommending cheaper tires, I have to believe he is being honest. Neither was in stock.

I have a M3 LR DM.

I am still at new 8/32 after 1500 miles (I alternate to snow tires in winter), but I overheard S/X owners complaining that they get ~25k before needing new tires (granted, they are probably 20s+).

For the Premier, I don't show Michelin selling the proper size, XL or 98+ load rating. These are heavy cars so be careful.

Last edited:
So, I have been going to Tesla to service my car regularly (fixing a rattle in back that still persists, replacing a corrupt MicroSD card, fixing a loose dashboard, alignment) and they just told me on my last visit that my tires were down to 3/32.

The PSAs here are that a) Michelin treadwear warranties do not apply to OEM tires 2) Tesla will not cover the tires under the treadwear warranty 3) call Michelin directly to see if they can help 4) if you get aftermarket tires, make sure you rotate them (and get receipts) every 6,000-8,000 miles.

After a couple of calls to Michelin, getting friendly people to help, and going to a local authorized Michelin retailer, I was able to get my tires covered at 50%.

I learned that OEM tires are generally made with inferior rubber than the exact same aftermarket tires, so OEM tires generally last much shorter than rated.

I had considered the Michelin CrossClimate+ as a replacement and my tire shop warned me they would be super-loud with the tread that looks similar to the discontinued Goodyear Aquatred. I am going with Michelin Premier A/S tires as recommended by the retailer. He said it was the best balance of performance handling, noise and treadwear. He said the Primacy MXM4 were sh*t tires. Given he is not making money of the sales of the new ones and is recommending cheaper tires, I have to believe he is being honest. Neither was in stock.

I have a M3 LR DM.
You could have gone directly to Americas Tire and they would take care of the warranty. As long as you have even wear on the tires it is no problem. No need to call Michelin at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Having worked in the tire industry I can tell you that there are not two different production processes and formulae for the same model tire. OEM tires are same materials and construction as aftermarket. IMO, there are 2 reasons drivers of performance cars get longer life out of second set. 1) they drive first set harder because the car is new and exciting. 2) if they were unhappy with first set, they seldom get same tire again, so it is not apples to apples.

Teslas are heavy cars with very strong acceleration and sporty suspension that make them feel much lighter. The tires bear the brunt, especially if you don’t rotate and there is even the slightest alignment issue.

So, I got the Michelin Premier A/S 235/45/18 94V rated tires and I have to say they sound a little quieter and feel pretty much the same as the Primacys. I find hitting bumps is not as jarring. They may be a little louder on rougher roads, but not so much that I notice (and I am pretty anal about noises and rattles). They seem to be a lot quieter on smoothly paved roads. Overall, with 640 treadwear and a real treadwear warranty, I am happy with the purchase. Granted, I have only put on 200 miles so far, but so far, so good.

Reactions: Misterbee
Having worked in the tire industry I can tell you that there are not two different production processes and formulae for the same model tire. OEM tires are same materials and construction as aftermarket. IMO, there are 2 reasons drivers of performance cars get longer life out of second set. 1) they drive first set harder because the car is new and exciting. 2) if they were unhappy with first set, they seldom get same tire again, so it is not apples to apples.

Teslas are heavy cars with very strong acceleration and sporty suspension that make them feel much lighter. The tires bear the brunt, especially if you don’t rotate and there is even the slightest alignment issue.

Great to know, thanks!!!

with 640 treadwear
That's the thing that gives me most pause for my personal use. It isn't 100% correlation but > tread wear usually means < grip, especially if you're going with the same manufacturer in similar price range. Having gone in the other direction on tw I'd be loath to give up that extra grip and more.

But different people have different uses, hope these work well for you.

Reactions: StealthP3D

That is not really safe for the M3 as its max load is less than recommended. "'Higher' load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight" (TireRack.com). That is why TR website says that the tire is not available for the M3.

94 SL = 1,477 lbs per tire, max PSI 44 (Premier A/S)
98 XL = 1,653 lbs per tire, max PSI 50 (Stock MXM4)

That is not really safe for the M3 as its max load is less than recommended. "Higher" load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight.

94 SL = 1,477 lbs per tire, max PSI 44 (Premier A/S)
98 XL = 1,653 lbs per tire, max PSI 50 (Stock MXM4)
My door label, on an AWD, says its enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwalme
So, I got the Michelin Premier A/S 235/45/18 94V rated tires and I have to say they sound a little quieter and feel pretty much the same as the Primacys. I find hitting bumps is not as jarring. They may be a little louder on rougher roads, but not so much that I notice (and I am pretty anal about noises and rattles). They seem to be a lot quieter on smoothly paved roads. Overall, with 640 treadwear and a real treadwear warranty, I am happy with the purchase. Granted, I have only put on 200 miles so far, but so far, so good.
What PSI are you running them at?