Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Options Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the pricing for the premium package (or really, how much is included). Disappointed at the autopilot and battery upgrade pricing.

So the question I have is didn't the model S have most of the upgrades like self driving and other things contained within every car? It was simply a case of you deciding later on that you wanted self driving or something else you didn't originally order and then that feature was 'unlocked' via software at a later date?

I even thought I had read that there was talk that every car would come with the 'potential' for the larger battery and again, it was simply a question of paying later and having the extended capacity unlocked? Am I off base on this?

So the question I have is didn't the model S have most of the upgrades like self driving and other things contained within every car? It was simply a case of you deciding later on that you wanted self driving or something else you didn't originally order and then that feature was 'unlocked' via software at a later date?

I even thought I had read that there was talk that every car would come with the 'potential' for the larger battery and again, it was simply a question of paying later and having the extended capacity unlocked? Am I off base on this?
Every Model S came with the "hardware" necessary for self driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7

In all Tesla’s produced now (including the Model 3), all autopilot hardware is included. In the Model S/X, you can enable autopilot and FSD at a later date, although it costs more to do it later. Assuming this is the case with the Model 3 as well but I’ve seen no official confirmation of it.
A couple models had a software locked larger battery that could be upgraded later as well, but those are no longer in production. With the Model 3, the battery you pay for is the one you get.

I don't know where you got the dual motor option dates from, but the new Tesla delivery estimator has me ( 3/31 ) line waiter slated for Sept - Nov 2018. I am so disgusted right now.

And what's weird is that on my Tesla page, it shows the extended battery model at a price of $49,000. Where does that pricing come from? If all you ordered was the extended battery, that would put it at $44,000.

I'm also wondering about the dates that are shown? Are these dates when Tesla is estimating YOU will get your car based on the ordering date? The dates seem to be much earlier than Troy's estimator.

And what's weird is that on my Tesla page, it shows the extended battery model at a price of $49,000. Where does that pricing come from? If all you ordered was the extended battery, that would put it at $44,000.

I'm also wondering about the dates that are shown? Are these dates when Tesla is estimating YOU will get your car based on the ordering date? The dates seem to be much earlier than Troy's estimator.

You have to buy the premium package, too. But just look at what's included in there... or better what isn't included on the base cars.

I doubt there will be many Model 3s w/o the premium package anyways. Kinda like the tech package on the Model S of old.

You have to buy the premium package, too. But just look at what's included in there... or better what isn't included on the base cars.

I doubt there will be many Model 3s w/o the premium package anyways. Kinda like the tech package on the Model S of old.

Ah! I didn't realize you needed the premium package (which I'd order anyway) to get the larger battery.

But now what's the deal with the estimated delivery dates? There are 3 potential delivery date ranges based on the model you order. Are these actually tailored to your initial ordering dates? Again, these are much earlier than Troy's estimator (with the exception of the AWD model).

In a way it makes sense based on what Elon said. He still says if you order today, you should get it at the end of next year. Even though I ordered on 4/12/16, Troy's estimator had me close to the end of next year too. That doesn't mesh with someone ordering today and getting roughly the same delivery date.

Ah! I didn't realize you needed the premium package (which I'd order anyway) to get the larger battery.

But now what's the deal with the estimated delivery dates? There are 3 potential delivery date ranges. Are these actually tailored to your initial ordering dates? Again, these are much earlier than Troy's estimator (with the exception of the AWD model).

In a way it makes sense based on what Elon said. He still says if you order today, you should get it at the end of next year. Even though I ordered on 4/12/16, Troy's estimator had me close to the end of next year too. That doesn't mesh with someone ordering today and getting roughly the same delivery date.

You don't need it for the larger battery, but you need it to get in line first. And I wouldn't trust the estimator right now, they definitely haven't figured out the kinks yet. If you don't need to be first, just order what you want, that way Tesla will gain a bit more info about what people actually want and adjust the delivery estimator.

• Informative
I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience purchasing the Full Self-Driving Capability after launch, say on the Model S? I'm putting pricing together, and thinking I will be going with the base model, with Premium package, Autopilot, and Color Choice. It puts me right around $39500 after the $7500 and a $5000 down payment. Puts my monthly payment at around $691. I wanted to keep that around where my current BMW payment is at $669. I can manage that. But as soon as I add on the long range I'm looking at $831 a month, and then more with Full Self-Driving Capability. Anyone add it later?