Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I ordered on 12/12 and still waiting in OC... I'm hoping the agony will end soon!!! :)
It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a disincentive for Tesla to miss the estimated delivery window aside from perhaps an unhappy customer. Personally, since Tesla was going to hose me over with my trade-in, I sold it privately hoping that delivery would be at the low end of the original estimate, but that's come and gone. Meanwhile you see other folks getting their cars in a matter of days. If it's an issue of color (there've been a lot of white and silver deliveries recently), then how about giving us the choice to switch color for an earlier delivery? I was waffling between silver and blue when I ordered expecting that color choice wouldn't have an impact on the delivery date but I'm sure I would've thought longer about the color decision if one of my choices was going to be delivered sooner than the other.

I feel for your situation as I considered ordering shortly after Thanksgiving when the delivery estimate was 2-5 weeks. I'd be beside myself if my order were past the original estimate window.

It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a disincentive for Tesla to miss the estimated delivery window aside from perhaps an unhappy customer. Personally, since Tesla was going to hose me over with my trade-in, I sold it privately hoping that delivery would be at the low end of the original estimate, but that's come and gone. Meanwhile you see other folks getting their cars in a matter of days. If it's an issue of color (there've been a lot of white and silver deliveries recently), then how about giving us the choice to switch color for an earlier delivery? I was waffling between silver and blue when I ordered expecting that color choice wouldn't have an impact on the delivery date but I'm sure I would've thought longer about the color decision if one of my choices was going to be delivered sooner than the other.

I feel for your situation as I considered ordering shortly after Thanksgiving when the delivery estimate was 2-5 weeks. I'd be beside myself if my order were past the original estimate window.

I completely agree... When I ordered it said 2 weeks delivery (it still says that on my "MANAGE" page)... If I knew certain configurations were quicker to deliver I would have chosen a different color/tires because I like several of the colors. To make matters worst someone else that ordered the same config as me in Los Angeles after I ordered mine already received theirs before the end of the year (I'm 30 minutes South in OC). So, the delivery process is very arbitrary. I think as the competition catches up, Tesla will need to improve their ordering/delivery process. Because between being ghosted by Tesla agents and Tesla missing multiple estimates where I originally received a text on December 23rd saying my car would be delivered on December 29th, then being told it would getting out of the factory late January, and then last week being told one or two more weeks (which I'm not holding my breath for), it's been an incredibly frustrating process... I'm just hoping it'll all be worth it once I receive the car!

I completely agree... When I ordered it said 2 weeks delivery (it still says that on my "MANAGE" page)... If I knew certain configurations were quicker to deliver I would have chosen a different color/tires because I like several of the colors. To make matters worst someone else that ordered the same config as me in Los Angeles after I ordered mine already received theirs before the end of the year (I'm 30 minutes South in OC). So, the delivery process is very arbitrary. I think as the competition catches up, Tesla will need to improve their ordering/delivery process. Because between being ghosted by Tesla agents and Tesla missing multiple estimates where I originally received a text on December 23rd saying my car would be delivered on December 29th, then being told it would getting out of the factory late January, and then last week being told one or two more weeks (which I'm not holding my breath for), it's been an incredibly frustrating process... I'm just hoping it'll all be worth it once I receive the car!
There also seems to be a "when you finished the steps in your profile" aspect to the process. The insurance page states that the insurance card must have my Model 3 VIN on the card but my SA said that didn't really matter. Of course, they can't hold up assigning you a VIN because you don't have proof of insurance that includes the VIN. An additional wrinkle on my side is that my insurance changes over in a couple of weeks to a new policy period so I'm sure hoping that I don't get tossed aside due to "this guy just updated his insurance or doesn't have current insurance".

It wouldn't seem unreasonable to ask for 1000 SuperCharger miles per week over what's listed on the MANAGE page.... ;-)

Reactions: BrewerGlyph
There also seems to be a "when you finished the steps in your profile" aspect to the process. The insurance page states that the insurance card must have my Model 3 VIN on the card but my SA said that didn't really matter. Of course, they can't hold up assigning you a VIN because you don't have proof of insurance that includes the VIN. An additional wrinkle on my side is that my insurance changes over in a couple of weeks to a new policy period so I'm sure hoping that I don't get tossed aside due to "this guy just updated his insurance or doesn't have current insurance".

It wouldn't seem unreasonable to ask for 1000 SuperCharger miles per week over what's listed on the MANAGE page.... ;-)

I completed all the steps required including uploading an image of my current insurance (which in CA covers any new cars for a 10 day grace period) as quickly as I was able to do it... When I asked my "Ownership Loyalty Advisor" about missing the Federal rebate (at the end of 2019) he said I would get a matching discount on my lease, but he also said I would be receiving my car by the end of January, so I'm not sure how reliable his information is... If they don't give me the discount, I'm planning on asking them to throw in the upgraded wheels. Specially since I have their text saying my car was out of the factory and ready to be delivered on 12/29...

On another note, he just emailed me with the following status "at this time, all newly built cars are going to people like yourself who have already had their order in place for a while." So, maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

I ordered a blue with black interior SR+ on 1/14/20 and was given a 7-10 week window, although the SA said that day that he estimated delivery for last week in February. Went to the showroom today and the SA checked an internal database that shows a VIN release date of 2/15 with delivery estimated around 2/24. There is hope!

Reactions: IDRVSLO
Yes. Checking again now.
Same here. Used to check every single chance I had. The last text message I received from them was on the 24th of last month to let me know that it was going to take 2-4 weeks more.
Yesterday that I decided to call tesla and apparently I wont be getting it until the end of the month or beginning of the next one, which is longer than the 2-4 weeks text message that they had send me.
I asked them that if I decide to change the color of my car will it affect the already long wait to my delivery? And they said that it will stay the same since they haven't even build the car yet, so I decided to change the color after all.
Order it on the 27th of December 4-7 weeks and at the end it is going to take over 2 months to get it

I ordered a blue with black interior SR+ on 1/14/20 and was given a 7-10 week window, although the SA said that day that he estimated delivery for last week in February. Went to the showroom today and the SA checked an internal database that shows a VIN release date of 2/15 with delivery estimated around 2/24. There is hope!
Howd u get them to tell you soo much stuff all he told me was he has no info and its been almost 8 weeks

Howd u get them to tell you soo much stuff all he told me was he has no info and its been almost 8 weeks

Same here. I ordered 12/24 and called my SA today and he said the same thing : no info. They told me about the regional production cycle which I already knew about. I said I was on week 6 of my 4-7 week estimate and he said sorry, but there's nothing he can say or do. He said "hurry up and wait".

That's a god sign. It was a call a not a text?
Yep with an actual human. They wanted to be sure I was ready for charging at home and asked if I was interested in solar. I don’t recall the same call when we got the X but there’s obvious reasons they didn’t need to ask that. I do wonder if there is some algorithm they are following.... like how many weeks before delivery do you wait before you give the customer that call?