Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

• Yes, I will be a day 1 line waiter and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Yes, I will reserve online and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Yes, but I will wait until they come out

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • No, my Model 3 is enough for me

Votes: 64 35.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on whether it can challenge an Audi E-Tron off-road.

As in I don't expect it to be like a Jeep Wrangler off-road, but at least close to a Subaru Cross-Trek or other cross over.

I'm looking for something a bit more hard core than a street only.

Something a bit tougher than a Model 3. But, I doubt the Model 3 will be that.

The pickup truck would be cool, and maybe, just maybe.

It depends on whether it can challenge an Audi E-Tron off-road.

As in I don't expect it to be like a Jeep Wrangler off-road, but at least close to a Subaru Cross-Trek or other cross over.

I'm looking for something a bit more hard core than a street only.

Something a bit tougher than a Model 3. But, I doubt the Model 3 will be that.

The pickup truck would be cool, and maybe, just maybe.
The thought of off-roading in a $50k car with a battery under the floor makes me cringe. The electric motors would be amazing for crawling though. I wonder if they'll use a different pack architecture for the pickup truck.

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
One Model Y to replace one of our 2 Model 3s. That was the plan, but to be honest, I'm not sure we need a CUV. The AWD with roof rack and ski rack is more than big enough for us for our ski trips. And the LR RWD is perfect for all other road trips (getting even better with the increasing range). The only limiting factor is cargo space, and we can add on as needed with a hitch and cargo box.

And I can't help but feel that the Model Y is not going to drive as well as the Model 3 (I don't see how any taller, bigger CUV could compete with a tight sedan).

Not sure if I will be staying with Tesla due to the endless crazy price drop. Definitely won't buy it on day 1. At least wait for a year or two.
You understand that it is Tesla figuring out how the Model 3 platform, primarily the battery pack but also the general assembly, along with pressure from the Fed Tax Credit winding down that is driving that drop? Sure the Model Y price will likely drop some over the first couple years, just like nearly every other automobile model out there, but there won't be these same forces in effect to the same degree. Battery packs will already but a much smaller portion of the vehicle cost by the start of 2021, and the Fed Tax Credit will be history (potentially for every manufacturer) or at least not structured like this and moving in this way.

Reactions: gene
Not sure how everyone else can make declarative statements. I cannot without seeing pictures and knowing the vehicle specifications.

I could say I would on the side of yes if a vehicle need comes up.

It’s a frieken Tesla folks.

First time sitting in a 3 was the day I drove it home.

A laugh I needed today was “competitors”.

Supercharging alone wins it but fuuuu if it has six rows -

I can’t wait to window shop at the least!!

The thought of off-roading in a $50k car with a battery under the floor makes me cringe. The electric motors would be amazing for crawling though. I wonder if they'll use a different pack architecture for the pickup truck.

Haha, yeah. I don't want to be like the guy who's Model X burned to the ground on ICE.

Nothing too hardcore.

Something like this.

That grill is really ugly though.

Yeah, around here there are rocks off-road. I don’t think that would cut it. These videos of people off-roading in CUVs with low profile tires are ridiculous.

If I was into rock crawling or dealing with major rocks in any kind of way I'd keep my Jeep. But, honestly it never sees off-road that a Audi E-tron wouldn't be perfectly okay with.

I also like that it even has an off-road mode.

Where the Tesla tends to explicitly tell you not to take it off-road. So I'm eager to see if Tesla made any attempt at capturing at least some of the PNW "I'd like to go for a hike" market.

Around here the Subaru's sell like hotcakes.

Like this one.

Reactions: roguenode
Yes, I will reserve online, and I'm looking for the Long Range Dual Motor, not Performance.

I was considering getting the Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro, but I like so much my Model 3 LR D.

I will certainly keep the Model 3 for commuting and mostly use the Model Y for weekend ski trips or summer camping vacations.

If I was into rock crawling or dealing with major rocks in any kind of way I'd keep my Jeep. But, honestly it never sees off-road that a Audi E-tron wouldn't be perfectly okay with.

I also like that it even has an off-road mode.

Where the Tesla tends to explicitly tell you not to take it off-road. So I'm eager to see if Tesla made any attempt at capturing at least some of the PNW "I'd like to go for a hike" market.

Around here the Subaru's sell like hotcakes.

Like this one.
That Subaru was scraping on stuff so I'd be hesitant if it was brand new and cost $50k. I've seen some Foresters that look pretty capable but they don't have low range gearing. The Wrangler is pretty dumb unless you're actually seeking out difficult trails. For just getting to a trailhead or campsite the 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Lexus GX or LX are where it's at.
An electric off-road vehicle would be great except for the range. The off-road range might actually be decent but the tires and the aerodynamics would be a big problem. It seems like the Tesla pickup is going to need a 150kwh battery.

If they do reservations for the Y, I might do it.

In order for me to consider actually buying it, it's got to be capable of replacing our XC90. Not in it's entirety, but I'm thinking it needs to do be at least 90% capable of what our XC90 can do. Doubtful, but we shall see.