Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 P Battery Pack Increase Effective Date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologize if this has been covered already but is there any way I can tell if my Model 3 has the increased 82 battery pack v the 79? My car has an 85xxx vin. I bought it off the lot in early January but it appears that vin range had an early December delivery date. It was available for sale at my local dealer. Looks like not all 2021s got the increase so trying to figure when the cut off was. Thanks.

Thanks. Quite a mystery. It seems at least for the performance model, the Panasonic 82 battery pack was always in the 2021. Haven’t pinned it down yet.

No mysteries! All the 2021 Model 3 Performance in the US must have 82kWh nominal so you don’t need to worry about it. You should also be displaying 315 rated miles projected at 100% with the latest software (used to be 310), so if you have those numbers you are guaranteed good. You will probably have that with a new 2021 if your battery is warm (may not be the case now in Pittsburgh, though it is relatively balmy there!).

You can also look at the picture in the post below and calculate your capacity extremely accurately at any time. This method is exact within 1kWh. It has been mentioned by others too.

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Thanks. Quite a mystery. It seems at least for the performance model, the Panasonic 82 battery pack was always in the 2021. Haven’t pinned it down yet.
Every 2021 M3P should come with the larger pack, otherwise Tesla would be hit with some hefty fines and legal issues if they submitted to the EPA the info shown below. The highlighted field shows the difference between the LR and the P.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51235&flag=1
Page 24 for the Perf:

upload_2021-2-16_9-6-40.png

Page 23 for the LR
upload_2021-2-16_9-6-55.png

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thanks. Appreciate it. It does seem to be a bit of a mystery but after reading about 80 pages of the battery thread it does seem that every 2021 M3P should have the larger pack. I haven’t checked my predicted range since taking delivery but I will run the test to confirm. It’s only 25 degrees here today so I’m probably not going shoe the full rated range until it warms up.

Reactions: M3-Ita
Every 2021 M3P should come with the larger pack, otherwise Tesla would be hit with some hefty fines and legal issues if they submitted to the EPA the info shown below. The highlighted field shows the difference between the LR and the P.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51235&flag=1
Page 24 for the Perf:

View attachment 637219

Page 23 for the LR
View attachment 637220

If there will be fines when using a smaller battery, then I would suspect that there is a problem with the Long Range. Unless they only use the Panasonic without cap, whereas Europe gets the LG and capped Pana?

If there will be fines when using a smaller battery, then I would suspect that there is a problem with the Long Range. Unless they only use the Panasonic without cap, whereas Europe gets the LG and capped Pana?

I think they are talking about the US and I don't think US cars use LG batteries? The LG and Panasonic mix is only in Europe. China made LR have the LG batteries, US made Performance have Panasonic.

To my knowledge all cars made in the US use batteries from the Nevada gigafactory.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life