Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 P without Performance Package, only for $68700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who considered getting a P100D, but decided to get just a regular 100D, I sayeth unto thee: DO IT.

While I’m perfecting happy bombing around the landscape in my 100D, I REALLY wish I’d gotten the P100D. If you can swing it, go for it.

You never know. I didn't get EAP or FSD when I got my car, and for about 2 weeks they were on fire-sale,
due to the price drops, and I got it for cheap. Prevailing wisdom was that it'd always be more expensive if purchased after the car.

I could see something similar happening for the AWD to P- software upgrade.

This reminds me the Tesla uncorking of the Model S and Model X.

This was not an update and needed to get a ranger visit, but I think that this unlocking was free?

This reminds me the Tesla uncorking of the Model S and Model X.

This was not an update and needed to get a ranger visit, but I think that this unlocking was free?

Yes I believe that uncorking was free and as you describe. Unlikely this one would be free as so many people are willing to pay for it (myself included), and it would really piss off anyone who paid more to buy an actual P-. But again with Tesla anything is possible.

whoever wondering it is just a s/w update, doesn't seems so. PFA.
"... unique inverter that carries more current from the battery to the motors.."
Received through some group, no source information but asked them. If I get it will update here.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-07-21 at 09.30.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-21 at 09.30.39.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 241
Not going to happen anytime soon. It devalue the P3D+ and make it a nearly pointless product to buy. The only way I see it happening is that they enable "Ludicrous mode" for P3D+ while they have still have "Performance mode" for for the P3D-.
I dont see how this would devalue the P3D+....its already taken a crazy ass hit by the fact that you can buy it today for 74k, and it was like 90k back last september ( when you paid 85K for P3D-, then added the performance package which included wheels, etc for another 5K or so). That same car today is 74K and includes white. If you bought a white P3D+ last september, you would be another 2600 for paint, so overall a P3D+ in white is 21k cheaper today when factoring in tax.

As someone who loosely dreamed about getting a P3D+ (very loosely dreamed), I'm super happy I didn't do it. Its the one thing giving me some solace about the fact that even the AWD I own is 10k cheaper today than when I bought it...yes, I'm taking comfort in someone else's misery...never said I was a good person :oops:

So, I say that devaluation of the list price is way more upsetting than offering a 3-5k upgrade to go from an AWD to P3D-....In fact, everyone who got a P3D- had the option to give up their supercharging and get a 5K USD (6500 CDN) + tax refund from Tesla. This puts the upgrade route into play in my books....obviously this is with the assumption that it is just software unlock and no other hardware is needed. I've read the threads talking about different inverters required, longer burn in for motors, etc...but no one has conclusively proved this. Everything I've read so far has indicated that they are the same car, just software limited...at least I'm holding out hope for that....

Plus; when has any company (not just Tesla) avoided doing something that can make them money, even if it pisses some people off? :p

Reactions: corlaandstan
Or the new shiny version coming out next year.....cant lie, I am excited for this once I saw some of the in plane scenes...though not sure what sort of story line they can have here. Even the original top gun was a bit weak sauce on the story...but who cares, planes sound awesome on the big screen :)

I wonder, how many users here are even old enough to remember seeing Top Gun in a movie theater? I'm guessing not too many, but maybe I'm just pessimistic about getting 'old' :p

I dont see how this would devalue the P3D+....its already taken a crazy ass hit by the fact that you can buy it today for 74k, and it was like 90k back last september ( when you paid 85K for P3D-, then added the performance package which included wheels, etc for another 5K or so). That same car today is 74K and includes white. If you bought a white P3D+ last september, you would be another 2600 for paint, so overall a P3D+ in white is 21k cheaper today when factoring in tax.

As someone who loosely dreamed about getting a P3D+ (very loosely dreamed), I'm super happy I didn't do it. Its the one thing giving me some solace about the fact that even the AWD I own is 10k cheaper today than when I bought it...yes, I'm taking comfort in someone else's misery...never said I was a good person :oops:

So, I say that devaluation of the list price is way more upsetting than offering a 3-5k upgrade to go from an AWD to P3D-....In fact, everyone who got a P3D- had the option to give up their supercharging and get a 5K USD (6500 CDN) + tax refund from Tesla. This puts the upgrade route into play in my books....obviously this is with the assumption that it is just software unlock and no other hardware is needed. I've read the threads talking about different inverters required, longer burn in for motors, etc...but no one has conclusively proved this. Everything I've read so far has indicated that they are the same car, just software limited...at least I'm holding out hope for that....

Plus; when has any company (not just Tesla) avoided doing something that can make them money, even if it pisses some people off? :p

It's not the devaluation I'm referring to, it's the future marketing/sales aspect when you start to introduce a clear and easy upgrade path from one model to the other. If you allow any AWD owner to pay the straight delta dollar amount to upgrade to a P3D-, it really diminishes any incentive for anyone to buy a P3D+ (or - for that matter) to the point, you would be an idiot to buy a P3D+/- out of the box. They would be essentially killing the P3D+/- as a stand alone product, so in order to avoid this they would either need to:

1. Differentiate the out of the box P3D from anyone upgrading from AWD (i.e. including Ludicrous mode with the purchase price)
    or
  2. Making the cost to upgrade so high (i.e $10,000) so that, if you are on the fence to buying a P3D, then you would opt for the P3D instead of a AWD
Also from a sales stand point, getting more money now is always better than maybe getting more money later.

It's not the devaluation I'm referring to, it's the future marketing/sales aspect when you start to introduce a clear and easy upgrade path from one model to the other. If you allow any AWD owner to pay the straight delta dollar amount to upgrade to a P3D-, it really diminishes any incentive for anyone to buy a P3D+ (or - for that matter) to the point, you would be an idiot to buy a P3D+/- out of the box. They would be essentially killing the P3D+/- as a stand alone product, so in order to avoid this they would either need to:

1. Differentiate the out of the box P3D from anyone upgrading from AWD (i.e. including Ludicrous mode with the purchase price)
    or
  2. Making the cost to upgrade so high (i.e $10,000) so that, if you are on the fence to buying a P3D, then you would opt for the P3D instead of a AWD
Also from a sales stand point, getting more money now is always better than maybe getting more money later.
Fair point. Kind of like them saying buying FSD/EAP at delivery it costs less than later, so I see that logic. Especially the 'get money now vs maybe some later'. I wouldn't expect to just pay the straight delta for this reason, but a slight premium. Ie, if the delta today is 2700 (I think its about that), then after delivery charge 5k for it.

The thing it also enables is that the existing base of AWD that didn't have the chance to purchase the P3D- (I would have done it in a heartbeat if given the chance), opens up a new stream of revenue for them. Not sure how many AWDs have been delivered, but lets say for arguments sake its 100,000 cars (say 30% of the number produced give or take). Lets then assume only 25% of those pay the upgrade @5k. Thats another 125 million of potential revenue from a software upgrade, and you still haven't cannibalized any potential sales because if someone wants P3D- they can get it for a 2700 premium now or a 5k premium later.

....I'm also ignoring the fact that some poor souls paid for FSD + EAP at delivery to avoid paying 10k+ later, but then Tesla had a fire sale where both features could be added for half that price...so they apparently have already broken your rule #2 at least once :)

Fair point. Kind of like them saying buying FSD/EAP at delivery it costs less than later, so I see that logic. Especially the 'get money now vs maybe some later'. I wouldn't expect to just pay the straight delta for this reason, but a slight premium. Ie, if the delta today is 2700 (I think its about that), then after delivery charge 5k for it.

The thing it also enables is that the existing base of AWD that didn't have the chance to purchase the P3D- (I would have done it in a heartbeat if given the chance), opens up a new stream of revenue for them. Not sure how many AWDs have been delivered, but lets say for arguments sake its 100,000 cars (say 30% of the number produced give or take). Lets then assume only 25% of those pay the upgrade @5k. Thats another 125 million of potential revenue from a software upgrade, and you still haven't cannibalized any potential sales because if someone wants P3D- they can get it for a 2700 premium now or a 5k premium later.

....I'm also ignoring the fact that some poor souls paid for FSD + EAP at delivery to avoid paying 10k+ later, but then Tesla had a fire sale where both features could be added for half that price...so they apparently have already broken your rule #2 at least once :)

I agree that there's definitely potential untapped money in the AWD to P3D- upgrade path, however, I think it's wishful thinking it'll be priced where it's a "easy" decision to make to upgrade (i.e. it'll be more expensive than you think it will be). The FSD/EAP logic is slightly different because you are are essentially pre-ordering features that don't exist yet and hence the more reasonable upgrade price/path. The AWD to P3D path would be 100% clear on what you would be getting.

I agree that there's definitely potential untapped money in the AWD to P3D- upgrade path, however, I think it's wishful thinking it'll be priced where it's a "easy" decision to make to upgrade (i.e. it'll be more expensive than you think it will be). The FSD/EAP logic is slightly different because you are are essentially pre-ordering features that don't exist yet and hence the more reasonable upgrade price/path. The AWD to P3D path would be 100% clear on what you would be getting.

But at the same time this type of upgrade wouldn't be unprecedented. They did offer early Model S P owners the ability to upgrade to Ludicrous mode for a fee. And that required extra hardware and downtime.

But at the same time this type of upgrade wouldn't be unprecedented. They did offer early Model S P owners the ability to upgrade to Ludicrous mode for a fee. And that required extra hardware and downtime.
Huh, thats surprising. Didn't realize they offered that route and that it required a visit to a SC. I bet it wasn't cheap, since the ludicrous update on a new car added tens of thousands to the price....I believe it was 20k or more...up until last week though when it became 'free' to any new model S/X top end version.

For me, I'd go as high as 5k for the 'uncorking'. That would be double what the upgrade on a new build (from AWD to P3D-) is now, and I think more than that would not hit a 'sweet spot' of people willing to pay for it. Even 5k might be too much for some, but I expect a lot of AWD owners would look it as amortized over the number of years of owning the car and jump on it.

Last edited:
Huh, thats surprising. Didn't realize they offered that route and that it required a visit to a SC. I bet it wasn't cheap, since the ludicrous update on a new car added tens of thousands to the price....I believe it was 20k or more...up until last week though when it became 'free' to any new model S/X top end version.

For me, I'd go as high as 5k for the 'uncorking'. That would be double what the upgrade on a new build (from AWD to P3D-) is now, and I think more than that would not hit a 'sweet spot' of people willing to pay for it. Even 5k might be too much for some, but I expect a lot of AWD owners would look it as amortized over the number of years of owning the car and jump on it.

If I recall correctly, it was a $10k USD upgrade.

whoever wondering it is just a s/w update, doesn't seems so. PFA.
"... unique inverter that carries more current from the battery to the motors.."
Received through some group, no source information but asked them. If I get it will update here.

Lawrence Store said those cars can be programmed to be sold either in P3D- or model 3 LR AWD, its up to you

Upgrades/Downgrades? Unless someone is wililng to lose his/her job, it is possible.

Sounds good.

Who cares about calipers really...wheels, you can always buy 19s on the forums second hand for a fraction of the upgrade charge, and then use the 18s for winters.

Suspension...is that air suspension? I like my air suspension in my P90D so I'd hate to lose that. But really not a big deal.

Already ordered LR AWD model (non -P) couple days back.

Thinking is it really worth spending additional $2710 + tax for 1.2 sec performance increase? (the complete package make sense as it has some other extra stuffs like wheels, pedals, spoiler etc.)
would that even be noticeable or we(I) ever use? especially considering it may be a just s/w upgrade and prices/options keep changing every time. o_O

I know it is a personal choice but thinking loud so I can get more feedback, if I am missing anything here (other than the 1.2 sec speed increase)

Thank you
:)
it's not '1.2 seconds'...it's the equivalent of about 150 hp to produce that acceleration from 0-60.

Run a 1/4 mile and it's a difference of a full second.

Worth it. $2700??? Seriously...just get it. You'll never ever regret it.

Plus it will help your resale AND you'll get most of that money back when you sell the car as it won't depreciate to $0.

it's not '1.2 seconds'...it's the equivalent of about 150 hp to produce that acceleration from 0-60.

Run a 1/4 mile and it's a difference of a full second.

Worth it. $2700??? Seriously...just get it. You'll never ever regret it.

Plus it will help your resale AND you'll get most of that money back when you sell the car as it won't depreciate to $0.

Ok, agree on torque/power difference now..

It boils down now to if I need that power/torque or not.. (between called sale rep just to check, it is not possible to do this with custom orders. We need to go by available inventory and make changes there - so not necessarily we get all the custom config we want)

I am skeptical about resale value though, as Tesla, at least every quarter, changing/reducing prices and adjusting options. Example, LR AWD is now available for the price of the LR RWD (currently not available to order)

Last edited:
Lawrence Store said those cars can be programmed to be sold either in P3D- or model 3 LR AWD, its up to you

Upgrades/Downgrades? Unless someone is wililng to lose his/her job, it is possible.
Ok, not sure about this. But I heard that Tesla made a bunch of P3Ds without P s/w option and sold to customers. When they complained they immediately change the s/w with original P version. May be employees at Lawrence thought that always possible? Or may be I am wrong.. no idea. :rolleyes: