Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!!! Don't get black, and they need to PPF the rockers on all those cars. I put on the carbon fiber mud guards from protectmytesla.com but you guys need the industrial-strength mudguards from that Quebec shop, antirouillebolduc.com.

Sorry but that's not the way in here how things works in Finland. I do not need to buy anything to protect my model 3. That is Teslas obligation to make sure that the paint withstands normal use in tarmac etc roads. Off road is a different thing.

Sorry but that's not the way in here how things works in Finland. I do not need to buy anything to protect my model 3. That is Teslas obligation to make sure that the paint withstands normal use in tarmac etc roads. Off road is a different thing.
Of course, that’s fine. You do it the Finnish way. My comment wasn’t meant to be critical. It was rhetorical. I was thinking Tesla should PPF the rockers in countries where they sand the roads in Winter. Notice all the damage seems more common in Northern countries like Canada and Finland. And if you’ve owned a black car, you know that dirt and any imperfections show up more on black.

Salt is more environmentally friendly (esp in coastal areas where large amounts aren't required) and far superior than sand at temps a little below freezing but for 15°C and below it starts becoming ineffective, necessitating sand or a mix of the 2.

While it's unfortunate Tesla didn't see this coming (presuming that's the case), it's also kind in strange that no one questioned it before it was too late and/or when damage was first able to be noticed. Tesla definitely needs to understand the environments in which their vehicles are sold but no one vehicle is perfect for all environments and traditionally, owners have been tasked with ensuring measures are taken to protect and preserve if that's important to them.

I have no such damage (black paint) but makes me consider at least the Carbon Fiber Splash Guards just to be on the safe side. Personally, I think the onus is on me to understand whether that's something I need or not.

There's also a lot of material/debris on the roads in the spring that's potentially damaging. Perhaps some tire tread types and/or wheel configurations are also contributing factors?

Reactions: TonyJag and MP3Mike
Rust !

Attachments

• IMG_20190430_095717.jpg
    IMG_20190430_095717.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 1,243
How does Tesla protect the paint from rocks in Finland, is it a special coating or like a force field?? What about wax......is that included in Finland....man I got to check this place out.

Very common on all vehicles. Clear wrapping those areas helps and also not driving in snow ect. My old daily I even wrapped those areas.... It still penetrated through. It caused by the newer paint thats used on vehicles now due to the environment. It's water based paint.

How does Tesla protect the paint from rocks in Finland, is it a special coating or like a force field?? What about wax......is that included in Finland....man I got to check this place out.

Many cars are protected with small splash guards alleready at the factory. Also in most cars (e.g. in Model S) the lower part of the body has a lower plastic trim, which protects the areas, which are most hit by small rocks. Model 3 does not have either of those. The fact that Model S has the lower plastic trim, but Model 3 does not have, shows, that it was a deliberate cost cutting decision to leave it off from Model 3.

Many cars are protected with small splash guards alleready at the factory. Also in most cars (e.g. in Model S) the lower part of the body has a lower plastic trim, which protects the areas, which are most hit by small rocks. Model 3 does not have either of those. The fact that Model S has the lower plastic trim, but Model 3 does not have, shows, that it was a deliberate cost cutting decision to leave it off from Model 3.
That is a big difference from someone claiming that a company is "obligated" to protect your paint. Finland isn't the only place that gets snow.

But it is of course a debatable question, whether customer should know, that if car does not have either plastic trim, that protects the area most hit by debris, or any splash guards, it is evident, that paint very fast gets dents from road debris

But it is of course a debatable question, whether customer should know, that if car does not have either plastic trim, that protects the area most hit by debris, or any splash guards, it is evident, that paint very fast gets dents from road debris

It doesn't protect the vehicle. Its a rocker panel that's plastic. It's also painted and gets rock chips too.... The only way to protect it is with mud flaps or wrapping it....

With nothing. It just painted. Car should withstand normal use in tarmac.

Our roads are full of salt, dirt, rocks etc on winter time. We have a lot dirt roads also in Finland. Not all are in tarmac. How should we know that the paint won't withstand normal use? One our friend drove 12 km of dirt road to summer cottage and car was damaged.

This has to be fixed by tesla under warranty or they will have a lot of problems facing in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Check my video and debris is over 25 cm heigh of the car.

This video is from California.. It is not looking so good.

With nothing. It just painted. Car should withstand normal use in tarmac.

Our roads are full of salt, dirt, rocks etc on winter time. We have a lot dirt roads also in Finland. Not all are in tarmac. How should we know that the paint won't withstand normal use? One our friend drove 12 km of dirt road to summer cottage and car was damaged.

This has to be fixed by tesla under warranty or they will have a lot of problems facing in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Check my video and debris is over 25 cm heigh of the car.

This video is from California.. It is not looking so good.

LOL Man your entitled attitude kills me. You act like Finland, Norway and Sweden are the only areas of the world that see snow. Guess what, our roads are also full of salt, dirt, rocks, etc in the winter. That's what they do when it snows. A car company is not going to vary which paint they put on a vehicle based on where it will be bought. That is not feasible. If your driving on dirt roads a lot, I would expect you to drive a vehicle that is suited to that type of environment. What you do with the car is not the manufactures responsibility. If this vehicle doesn't fit your needs, then don't purchase it. I for one don't expect to be rally racing my Model 3 Performance, it isn't made for that, hence the lack of off road tires.

Very common on all vehicles. Clear wrapping those areas helps and also not driving in snow ect. My old daily I even wrapped those areas.... It still penetrated through. It caused by the newer paint thats used on vehicles now due to the environment. It's water based paint.
YEP!! Welcome to the reality of environmental regulations. That's why we PPF.

YEP!! Welcome to the reality of environmental regulations. That's why we PPF.
Yes i understand your point of view as i said things works quite different in here than in there USA.... And i said as consumer in Finland i do not need to put anything extra to the paint nor the protection of it.

Then why does the BMW, Skoda, Porcshe paint etc withstand normal use? Sorry to take this point.

I am 100% tesla guy ( also a tuber for tesla m3 in finland ) but i can't withstand this way how they threat customers.