Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is cost.
High quality epoxy primer and the following color and clear can add to the cost of the car. All car makers have bean counters running the show. Would you be willing to pay more?
I always spray thicker layers of epoxy primer down low and on anything facing forward. This adds to the flexibility in the paint. If you leave some of this in a cup it can dry to a rubbery texture. I won't list what I use because everyone has their own go-to products depending on where they live and the road conditions. Now it's not applied heavily, just enough to allow some give to the color and top coats.
I will say this though. When stripping any modern vehicles you can easily see that factories are using thicker layers of primer on the rockers and door lowers. On some vehicles you can scrape it off in larger pieces. The flexibility of this layer is what gives the top coat a lot of protection from chips.
Also, no amount of wax or paint protection will prevent rock chips.

If needed. I would pay more. Good thoughts!

Now case is ongoing and tesla needs to come forward with this really !

In the worst case you could take your car to a reputable shop and have this done. To respray the lowers without dent or rust repair is easy work. And it would not chip like this.

Are you sure about that? Sure you could have it repainted, but what makes you think the paint that a third party would use is some super strength sand, and stone, resistant variant?

Are you sure about that? Sure you could have it repainted, but what makes you think the paint that a third party would use is some super strength sand, and stone, resistant variant?

Because I've done it.
This was a problem on import cars many years ago. Even when there were no requirements for low VOC.
All quality resto rod projects also use these methods. And have been using them for many years. Nothing new here.
Yeah, I'm sure!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
On my drive to work today, i'd bet at least 90% of cars have protection in this area. I followed a 2000s era Honda Civic that had plastic protection in this area. It's not that hard Tesla... that civic wasn't $60,000.

I'll be at a service center Saturday and plan to bring this up with my car, to them.

I made a public video about this in English. Here are my comments. Feel free to share.

It doesn't happen to every cars. I have bought my car in December in Montreal and I put 4000km since in snow rain highway but not off road. I don't see any abnormal wear on it. My guess, there might be some cars better painted than others which is, of course, not acceptable.
Any how i intent to ppf mine and put some mud flaps.

We have harsh winters here with lots of snow and salt, and have had zero issues. I think the wear probably depends on several factors, most notably driving style (aggressive would kick up more stuff), and gravel / dirt / off-roading. I don't think these cars are made for anything but traditional roads that are paved. The fit and finish seem comparable to our BMW 335i. I don't think the manufacturer can be held liable for driving style or driving on rough roads which it's not made for. We have over 20,000 kms on the car.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It doesn't happen to every cars. I have bought my car in December in Montreal and I put 4000km since in snow rain highway but not off road. I don't see any abnormal wear on it. My guess, there might be some cars better painted than others which is, of course, not acceptable.
Any how i intent to ppf mine and put some mud flaps.

The paint problem is disturbingly part of the bigger picture that was caused by Tesla FAILING to adequately road test the M3 before unleashing it on its beta-testing customers. They can't fix paint with a software upgrade! They can't fix freezing door handles with a software upgrade! Inadequate road-testing is why I shied away from purchasing the Gen 1 M3. I am warily considering the MY, but I wonder if the company will be in business by 2022.

We have harsh winters here with lots of snow and salt, and have had zero issues. I think the wear probably depends on several factors, most notably driving style (aggressive would kick up more stuff), and gravel / dirt / off-roading. I don't think these cars are made for anything but traditional roads that are paved. The fit and finish seem comparable to our BMW 335i. I don't think the manufacturer can be held liable for driving style or driving on rough roads which it's not made for. We have over 20,000 kms on the car.
Well, if you have the performance model 3, you are probably not going to drive like somebody driving an Impala for instance.

The paint problem is disturbingly part of the bigger picture that was caused by Tesla FAILING to adequately road test the M3 before unleashing it on its beta-testing customers. They can't fix paint with a software upgrade! They can't fix freezing door handles with a software upgrade! Inadequate road-testing is why I shied away from purchasing the Gen 1 M3. I am warily considering the MY, but I wonder if the company will be in business by 2022.

I think there is an unusual amount of negativity over smaller issues with Tesla. If you glance any other car forum away from Tesla, there are numerous negative comments about various issues. I followed BMW forums for years. The big difference is that every minor issue is not a headline. Freezing handles are hardly an issue, minor at best. Paint once again not much of an issue probably for most. You will have a few outliers with every concern given unusual circumstances.

Reactions: M|S|W
I made a public video about this in English. Here are my comments. Feel free to share.

The side shirt is supposed to be cover by a clear bra from Tesla. Have you tried to buff the paint with a DA and a light cutting pad and compound and see if the spots goes away? Black paint is prone to show all imperfections and dirt. My cars is midnight silver metallic and I don't have that kind of paint wear but I noticed one chip on the door and fender that seems kind of odd to me for the car only having 7000 miles.

The side shirt is supposed to be cover by a clear bra from Tesla. Have you tried to buff the paint with a DA and a light cutting pad and compound and see if the spots goes away? Black paint is prone to show all imperfections and dirt. My cars is midnight silver metallic and I don't have that kind of paint wear but I noticed one chip on the door and fender that seems kind of odd to me for the car only having 7000 miles.

Where did you get this info about there supposedly being a clear bra?