Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attention to Tesla Model 3 owners - there are hundreds of Model 3 owners worldwide who are not happy with the paint of Model 3. There are many Model 3 Teslas in Canada that have a rust problem already and Finland Model 3 owners at least 20 people have noticed their paint wearing off in 1 month of usage & driving in normal clean roads. #TeslaPaintIssues #TeslaQualityIssues

This is not normal wear and tear, it is clear that this is a production issue. That’s why we are filing a group complaint against Tesla. Public complaint: Consumer advocacy service Twitter RT if you can? J Savolainen on Twitter

If you are a Tesla Model 3 owner who has a legitimate reason to file a complaint against Tesla, please sign our group complaint and join our Facebook group to get more info about the issue.
/

Also you can update your details to the Google Sheets document which you can find here:
Global Tesla model 3 paint problems

I think you should add whether the car is an AWD and whether the owner had snow tires, to your spreadsheet.

Attention to Tesla Model 3 owners - there are hundreds of Model 3 owners worldwide who are not happy with the paint of Model 3. There are many Model 3 Teslas in Canada that have a rust problem already and Finland Model 3 owners at least 20 people have noticed their paint wearing off in 1 month of usage & driving in normal clean roads. #TeslaPaintIssues #TeslaQualityIssues

This is not normal wear and tear, it is clear that this is a production issue. That’s why we are filing a group complaint against Tesla. Public complaint: Consumer advocacy service Twitter RT if you can? J Savolainen on Twitter

If you are a Tesla Model 3 owner who has a legitimate reason to file a complaint against Tesla, please sign our group complaint and join our Facebook group to get more info about the issue.
/

Also you can update your details to the Google Sheets document which you can find here:
Global Tesla model 3 paint problems

Reactions: Johnii__82
One could argue that if they knew this during the power train design, why wasn't this effect then countered in the chassis protection design. I find this argument deeply flawed.

Due to cost cutting in the Model 3 production, they've now cut too deep and have to fix the issues that they've created in their path to profitability. Unfortunately this for me means that I'll be cancelling my P3D order and will wait until Model Y to see if Tesla is still around and if their build quality has improved.
There is no evidence that this is linked to supposed cost cuts.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and works
Well, Igot my model 3 less than 2 weeks ago but at the moment, the odometer shows 2709 km.

I live in a small village and have a 3km run of unpaved road to get to home.

Right now I have no damage at all on the car. So yeah, it struck me that maybe the aero cover might be helping.

That and of course the strong discipline of repressing my impulsion of doing a 3km rally style driving to end the day when I get home hehehe.
You need to install PPF stat

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
It’s a shame that Tesla is so slow to resolve this problem. However, if I were in the market for a new vehicle, this issue wouldn’t stop me from buying the car. I’d just buy it, put on the $200 worth of PPF or mudguards, and submit a bill to Tesla, and wait for their response. That can take time, but during that time I would enjoy driving the car.
Exactly. This isn’t a hard problem to own and fix. It’s just easier to blame someone else and cry about how your $60k car should include everything you can possibly think of.

That was good choice. If i would have known that my car will broke down in 1 month or in 1200 miles i would have done it. But Tesla failed to tell anything about these issues. What a big joke.

Good wrap up here: J Savolainen on Twitter

Attached a picture from Canada. RUST on on 25.000 km. We all who live nordics will face this.( Norway, Sweden, Finland ) Also Estonia, Poland, Germany etc. Disaster is coming!

View attachment 413630
FUD

I think that a 60k $ car with a peeling paint after a few month of ownership is a good enough reason to cry.
If the paint is truly peeling, there is zero chance Tesla doesn’t cover that. Expecting them to cover all the gravel and salt Europe throws down on their roads is another issue. For those people they need to spend a few $$$ and put PPF on.

Don’t conflate the chipping with the peeling.

If the paint is truly peeling, there is zero chance Tesla doesn’t cover that. Expecting them to cover all the gravel and salt Europe throws down on their roads is another issue. For those people they need to spend a few $$$ and put PPF on.

Don’t conflate the chipping with the peeling.
Well, in Canada you have the same issue. You can see cars with a lot of paint damages and some with none. (I am one of the lucky one). Wether it is peeling or the rockers starting to rust due to chips, there is definetly an issue.
When I talked to the company who ppfed my car, they explained me that they were aware that some cars had bad paint. It was mostly batches of cars. Some other batches had different issues but it was always coming by batches.

Also I owned an 15k $ Impala during 8 years without rust.

You need to install PPF stat
Called 2 shops, called one of them twice (3 calls total) to get PPF : the both answered and said they were out of the shop to provide proper quotes... and did not called back (sight). Of course I will get PPF, but I have the feeling that it is going to be a pain, time consuming wise.

Meanwhile, I got the mud flap from Antirouille Bolduc (northern ones). They do protect well but man what a drag! I get 15-20 more Wh/km consumption with these. Even at around 100-105 km/h.

It is a weird feeling : at the same time that I have a little pinch to the heart for knowing that the paint can be an issue, I'm also amazed by how much work has been done on the efficiency of that car.

There is no evidence that this is linked to supposed cost cuts.

Unless you have evidence to collaborate your statement, then you are just slinging your opinion around. Restating your opinion over and over again does not make it a fact.

Whereas we know that Tesla has had to cut production costs, we know that the paint booth has been the bane of Tesla's existence for the longest of time and we know that there is a non-significant percentage of owners that have quality issues relating to paint. Based on these facts the conclusion can be derived that it is quite possible if not probable that due to need to save money in making these cars Tesla has made few wrong decisions.

Do remember that if Tesla upon hearing these issues would not have blatantly denied the owners reporting this warranty service, we would not be in this soup. If they had, like a respectable manufacturer that they strive to be, carried their responsibility by stating that they need time to properly investigating the issue and then decide to carry out repairs where needed as well as properly fix the production line or issue PPF / flaps to the affected areas, we'd be fine. But no. They decided initially to go "not our problem" and hence, *sugar* has hit the fan.

I hope that you are happy with your purchase and are not experiencing these issues. I don't see though how that gives you the right to run your mouth off to folks who are quite a few € out of pocket and have a car that can potentially rust through within a year if nothing is done.

• Disagree
Reactions: duanra and MP3Mike
Unless you have evidence to collaborate your statement, then you are just slinging your opinion around. Restating your opinion over and over again does not make it a fact.

Whereas we know that Tesla has had to cut production costs, we know that the paint booth has been the bane of Tesla's existence for the longest of time and we know that there is a non-significant percentage of owners that have quality issues relating to paint. Based on these facts the conclusion can be derived that it is quite possible if not probable that due to need to save money in making these cars Tesla has made few wrong decisions.

Do remember that if Tesla upon hearing these issues would not have blatantly denied the owners reporting this warranty service, we would not be in this soup. If they had, like a respectable manufacturer that they strive to be, carried their responsibility by stating that they need time to properly investigating the issue and then decide to carry out repairs where needed as well as properly fix the production line or issue PPF / flaps to the affected areas, we'd be fine. But no. They decided initially to go "not our problem" and hence, *sugar* has hit the fan.

I hope that you are happy with your purchase and are not experiencing these issues. I don't see though how that gives you the right to run your mouth off to folks who are quite a few € out of pocket and have a car that can potentially rust through within a year if nothing is done.
Lol, oh that’s rich.

So your lack of evidence somehow compels me to produce it? You made a statement, support it.

BTW, you can not prove a negative.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My august car went through the worst winter the Midwest US has seen in over a decade. No issues. 16k miles.
NOT FUD TRUE happening. I have 94,000 $ car model 3 performance which paint is completely from *****. There are hundreds in Canada who has the same issues.

Check.

I don't believe you are even an owner.

My august car went through the worst winter the Midwest US has seen in over a decade. No issues. 16k miles.

I don't believe you are even an owner.

Here i am. You can check from linkedIN.
IMG_20190329_131319__01.jpg
Screenshot_20190605-201425__01.jpg

Reactions: ricohman
My august car went through the worst winter the Midwest US has seen in over a decade. No issues.

I don't understand the claim that Tesla is not fixing paint defects. This is the confusing part.
People are conflating paint issues.

Peeling is one thing and I’m 100% confident that will get fixed.

The rock chips/sand blasting is another. I think if you drive the car in those environments, protect it. I don’t but I still protected mine.