Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have thin paint on front and rear bumpers where you can see through to the primer. They said it is within spec and won't correct it. I am still going back and forth with service to see if they will correct it without the need to go through the hassle of arbitration or push through the courts for something that piddly. They already fixed several other paint issues with too many and too large of trash under the paint, etc. Still not perfect, but you're not going to get perfect paint on a Tesla.

Wow, that sucks.

It's not terrible, especially from a distance. But doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies when you took delivery of the $1500 white paint that went free a week or so later.

upload_2019-9-3_9-18-32.png

upload_2019-9-3_9-20-54.png

upload_2019-9-3_9-23-6.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
It is from factory. We have same in our group on brand new cars.

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

Factories are largely automated. Seems odd that a minority percentage of the cars produced in that controlled environment would have missing paint, whereas the majority did not. Granted, if a production problem occurred (clogged spray gun, etc.), you could see some of this if QC at Tesla sucked the big one . Once a painting robot is programmed, every car going through it should be painted the same (good, bad or ugly), no? It's not like Tesla has a bunch of people hand spraying these cars, after all. If they had, then yeah, I could see this situation arising more readily than in a highly automated process.

Reactions: Cintoman
Factories are largely automated. Seems odd that a minority percentage of the cars produced in that controlled environment would have missing paint, whereas the majority did not. Granted, if a production problem occurred (clogged spray gun, etc.), you could see some of this if QC at Tesla sucked the big one . Once a painting robot is programmed, every car going through it should be painted the same (good, bad or ugly), no? It's not like Tesla has a bunch of people hand spraying these cars, after all. If they had, then yeah, I could see this situation arising more readily than in a highly automated process.

As far i have seen. They change the robot programs. :eek: I do have clue on timeframe and they start on january 2019 to feb 2019 and then again in april 2019 and again in june 2019.

I have witnessed from vin starting 207.xxx > 235.xxx same bad paint program.

And in vin 364.xxx better than 207.xxx but still missing areas....

Listen my latest inspection.

Reactions: super20g
As far i have seen. They change the robot programs. :eek: I do have clue on timeframe and they start on january 2019 to feb 2019 and then again in april 2019 and again in june 2019.

I have witnessed from vin starting 207.xxx > 235.xxx same bad paint program.

And in vin 364.xxx better than 207.xxx but still missing areas....

Listen my latest inspection.

Thanks. My VIN is 391xxx and my MSM paint is flawless.

Reactions: Johnii__82
I'm planning on taking the Tesla factory tour in a few months. Does anyone know if the painting area is part of the tour ?? I would really like to see what actually happens there...

It's not like Tesla has a bunch of people hand spraying these cars, after all.

AMMONYC has a YouTube video where they visit the Acura NSX paint facility in Ohio. They inspect the panels after the automated painting and manually paint any spots that are missed. I guess Tesla doesn't do this, as evidenced by my own Model 3 ??