Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I agree. Mud guards are the better DIY way to go. I tried both the molded Chinese ones and the group buy with Tsolutions.
I have those from Antirouille Bolduc on, they’re large and sturdy, designed specifically for the Model 3.
As for PPF it’s only good if extending behind the rocker’s plastic trim.
Got my rockers paint repaired and since I don’t trust the work - I suspect paint will bubble from rust trapped underneath - I applied lots of layers of Superwrap’s Liquid Shield spray. I’ll see how well it protects until I feel confident enough about the quality of the paint job to have PPF installed.

Now we have more info when the paint durability has been cutted @ Fremont.

It is before 16.12.2019.

This is looking so fricking bad. Found this yesterday. There will be a lot of rust buckets moving around.. :( Tesla did not bother to give heads up...

10.000 km. Looks more like 200.000 km. :(

I've been following your posts and have to agree with you that the paint is pretty horrible and exceptionally soft on the Model 3. However, looking at your video, it really does look like you have some very severe issues all over your car, not just on the bottom of the doors and rocker panels (which would be due to road debris being kicked up by the tires). I'm not sure how you're washing your car, but there are many many areas in your video that human hands wouldn't really contact/touch, but are very badly scratched on your car. I can understand certain areas having more scratches, like near the door handles, etc. But you have other areas that are very badly scratched. Almost looks like you washed your car with a washmit full of sand/debris.

I've had my 2018 Deep Blue Metallic Model 3 (August 2018 build date) for exactly 1 year. I have about 7,000 miles on it (about 11,200 km), and about 1 month after I got the car, I had the entire front end (full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover and mirror covers) protected with PPF. So I know there are no chips in those areas thanks to the PPF. However, I was starting to notice some minor chips on the rocker panels and just ahead of the rear wheels (the dog leg area). So I touched up the few areas with Tesla's matching paint kit, then I decided to install PPF on the entire rocker panels and the bottom sections of the doors (from the horizontal crease in the doors down). I also installed some black rubber mud flaps to further protect the bottom area of the car. Even though I don't like having mudflaps on my cars, they do look good. Finally, I also had my entire car ceramic coated (with CeramicPro).

However, in my regular maintenance and washing of my car, I don't have nearly anything remotely close to the scratches you have on your car. My paint surfaces do have some very minor scratches because the paint is so soft, but it's very acceptable to me and very very minor. I do take great care in washing my car (which I do weekly), by doing it myself, using 3 buckets, and NEVER taking it to a automatic car wash.

Solid (non-metallic) Black paint is a difficult color to maintain, and it more easily shows scratches than metallic paint colors. And it does look like the black paint is really a very bad color on the Model 3. However, I am questioning how many many scratches you have on all the areas that human hands wouldn't normally be prone to touching. Which would tend to imply that many of these scratches could be due to improper washing.

--Cintoman

I've been following your posts and have to agree with you that the paint is pretty horrible and exceptionally soft on the Model 3. However, looking at your video, it really does look like you have some very severe issues all over your car, not just on the bottom of the doors and rocker panels (which would be due to road debris being kicked up by the tires). I'm not sure how you're washing your car, but there are many many areas in your video that human hands wouldn't really contact/touch, but are very badly scratched on your car. I can understand certain areas having more scratches, like near the door handles, etc. But you have other areas that are very badly scratched. Almost looks like you washed your car with a washmit full of sand/debris.

I've had my 2018 Deep Blue Metallic Model 3 (August 2018 build date) for exactly 1 year. I have about 7,000 miles on it (about 11,200 km), and about 1 month after I got the car, I had the entire front end (full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover and mirror covers) protected with PPF. So I know there are no chips in those areas thanks to the PPF. However, I was starting to notice some minor chips on the rocker panels and just ahead of the rear wheels (the dog leg area). So I touched up the few areas with Tesla's matching paint kit, then I decided to install PPF on the entire rocker panels and the bottom sections of the doors (from the horizontal crease in the doors down). I also installed some black rubber mud flaps to further protect the bottom area of the car. Even though I don't like having mudflaps on my cars, they do look good. Finally, I also had my entire car ceramic coated (with CeramicPro).

However, in my regular maintenance and washing of my car, I don't have nearly anything remotely close to the scratches you have on your car. My paint surfaces do have some very minor scratches because the paint is so soft, but it's very acceptable to me and very very minor. I do take great care in washing my car (which I do weekly), by doing it myself, using 3 buckets, and NEVER taking it to a automatic car wash.

Solid (non-metallic) Black paint is a difficult color to maintain, and it more easily shows scratches than metallic paint colors. And it does look like the black paint is really a very bad color on the Model 3. However, I am questioning how many many scratches you have on all the areas that human hands wouldn't normally be prone to touching. Which would tend to imply that many of these scratches could be due to improper washing.

--Cintoman

That's what I was thinking. Looks like he washes his car with soap in socks. My neighbor has 2 model 3s. Neither of his cars look like this. Looks like he drives down allot of either dirty roads or dirt roads. Mud flaps would of solved allot of his issues IMO

That's what I was thinking. Looks like he washes his car with soap in socks. My neighbor has 2 model 3s. Neither of his cars look like this. Looks like he drives down allot of either dirty roads or dirt roads. Mud flaps would of solved allot of his issues IMO

Hey guys. I have only used pressure washer ! Never by hand.

My car has been only washed pros since 29.3.2019 :eek: i have seen with my own eyes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cintoman and jebinc
My 10 year old Mitsubishi that cost 1/6th as much when new looks better than that!

Yes this is crazy thing... that paint is durable to even gently wash it. :eek:

It seems other people have the issues too.

Blue Model 3's Clear coat - easy swirl marks and bird poop damage | Tesla

Slightly tells that something happened @ Fremont paint shop before Tesla Model 3 ramp up....
upload_2019-9-24_13-24-56.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person

What is "improper washing" ? Some of you people still don't get it. Let me make this clear once more: here in Finland Tesla Model 3 IS THE ONLY CAR that has problems like this. Now, please repeat that until understood. Also, other brands would fix these kinds of issues without asking instead of claiming it's "normal". The paint of my 10 years old cheap car is still like new after all these winters and automatic washing with brushes. It's laughable that customers would need to apply all kinds of protection and mudflaps to a new, expensive car. And still it will be a question mark.

Also, other brands would fix these kinds of issues without asking instead of claiming it's "normal".

You mean like how Toyota has fixed the peeling paint problem on their cars for the past 13 years? Oh wait, they haven't fixed that yet because they are still trying to figure out how. But they have finally announced that they are working on developing a fix for ~2 million cars dating back to 2007. The issue? The paint peels off of the cars. And not just in the high wear areas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/vehicles-defects-paint-toyota-1.4814545

Attachments

• T-CP-ZKG-A110-D.pdf
    900.8 KB · Views: 47

As much as that car has issues with paint, there’s ZERO doubt that much of it is poor washing/handling technique. When he pans around the car you can see just how trashed the plastic charging port covers are in the back, too.

What is "improper washing" ? Some of you people still don't get it. Let me make this clear once more: here in Finland Tesla Model 3 IS THE ONLY CAR that has problems like this. Now, please repeat that until understood. Also, other brands would fix these kinds of issues without asking instead of claiming it's "normal". The paint of my 10 years old cheap car is still like new after all these winters and automatic washing with brushes. It's laughable that customers would need to apply all kinds of protection and mudflaps to a new, expensive car. And still it will be a question mark.
Yes, there are a lot of "defend Tesla at all costs; Elon is a God..." folks frequenting these forums; "Telsa haters" as well - Both "extremes" are well represented here I have found...

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
Just regular what pros do:

1. Wash of bad particles by pressure washer.
2. Apply foam & use microscope cloth ( 2 buckets strategy )
3. Pressure wash
4. Clean with new microscope cloth.

It has been washed like that 4 times in past 6 months by professional detailers.

Outcome in the video. Paint is too soft to even touch. :(

And the charging cover? Can you explain the state of that matching the paint in terms of scratches and damage? Or the other damage to the car that you gloss over?

Look, there’s no question that black paint is a pain in the ass to look after. But some of your damage is self-inflicted - of that I’m 100000% sure.

And the charging cover? Can you explain the state of that matching the paint in terms of scratches and damage? Or the other damage to the car that you gloss over?

Look, there’s no question that black paint is a pain in the ass to look after. But some of your damage is self-inflicted - of that I’m 100000% sure.

You mean this area ? Finnish Chamber of commerce, Goods inspector found out that tesla has painted it again with problems on ... the factory :(

What a Goods Inspector Does - Kauppakamari

Report available here:

TavarantarkastuskertomusTesla_YLG_880_maalipinta.pdf

Screenshot_20190924-193007.jpg