Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 0-62

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening Guys,

I'm sure some lucky sods have received their model 3's now and im just wondering if anyone has tested (in an off road place of course ;) ) their cars 0-62, its stated as 3.2 seconds but whether thats achievable easily i dont know.

Does the level of charge also affect this time much?

Kind regards

JP

The 3.2 is actually 0-60 mph, not 62. So in theory it would be a few tenths slower to 62. Tests I've seen show that it's right on the money and not very sensitive to charge level or even occupant weight. I suspect the software is holding it back slightly as they have already tweaked it down from the original 3.5 sec 0-60 time it had at the US launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they tweak it further when say BMW release their next gen M3. One interesting thing I discovered recently is that the power level drops back to normal LR AWD spec somewhere around 60-70 mph. Still pretty impressive though. Basically full-on supercar quick to 60 and then just serious sports car quick to a ton plus.

so it reduces power once it hits 70mph? seems odd as thats when its needed to overcome wind drag etc.

It does look crazy quick off the line. I have a test drive in the next couple weeks and i'm looking forward to giving it a go.

The power tails off gradually, but by 70 mph it's the same output as a LR AWD. Still has plenty of power available though! It's just mega quick off the line with that initial extra power boost.

The model 3 performance acceleration includes role out, so the actual 0-60 on how the UK would measure it will be one or two tenths slower. Draggy doesn’t allow role out in its settings, hence why it tends to be slightly slower than Tesla’s claim. It’s also worth mentioning that they only use role out for the performance cars (I understand they do this for the S and X too), so that gap between the LR AWD and the performance model 3 isn’t actually as big as the figures suggest.

so it reduces power once it hits 70mph? seems odd as thats when its needed to overcome wind drag etc
You should read this more as the others (like the LRAWD) are limited below 70...

See:
6415CEAD-523B-4E15-8327-A2D9F711A313.jpeg
From here:
Model 3 AWD Power vs. Speed (with bonus P3D) : teslamotors

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Is this a joke?
Its a Joke! :)

"Off subject" - Just as a test regards batteries did you know that a Full AA battery bounces higher than a Dead one? Good quick way to see if a Battery is dead or not but you need a known dead battery to test with, Try it by dropping a full & dead battery on the negative end about 15cm above a hard surface together and you will be surprised!

Edit - it might be the other way around and the dead bounces higher!

The 3.2 is actually 0-60 mph, not 62. So in theory it would be a few tenths slower to 62. Tests I've seen show that it's right on the money and not very sensitive to charge level or even occupant weight. I suspect the software is holding it back slightly as they have already tweaked it down from the original 3.5 sec 0-60 time it had at the US launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they tweak it further when say BMW release their next gen M3. One interesting thing I discovered recently is that the power level drops back to normal LR AWD spec somewhere around 60-70 mph. Still pretty impressive though. Basically full-on supercar quick to 60 and then just serious sports car quick to a ton plus.

I clearly don't know much about Tesla as I don't own one and haven't even got one on order (yet) but could it be that this is true above 70 as this is the legal limit on public roads, unless you select track mode?

I think it is more about the LR AWD being the same as the performance but the power being software limited, as US owners who’ve taken their cars to drag strips have noticed that beyond 60-70 mph the acceleration is identical for the two specs. Whether the two cars are identical is still open for debate as while this was definitely the case for early cars as there was only one rear motor, the Tesla parts manual now has three rear motors with different model numbers, though no one outside Tesla knows why. Regardless of which Tesla you go for all of them are going to be faster than the majority of cars on the road.

Reactions: Peteski
I clearly don't know much about Tesla as I don't own one and haven't even got one on order (yet) but could it be that this is true above 70 as this is the legal limit on public roads, unless you select track mode?

I think Faucault is correct. It has nothing to do with speed limits, just the fact that EV power curves naturally tend to drop off at higher speeds. We see this fundamental characteristic on all Teslas and other EVs. The LR AWD is clearly software limited at low speed, but not at higher speed and since the hardware is to all intents and purposes identical to the Performance version, it therefore makes sense that they would converge on the same power curve once the software power limit is removed. This point just happens to be around 60-70 mph when comparing these two specific cars.