Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are certain that their piston sizes are indeed different, until further proof with a physical check*, I would think they should probably have the same piston sizes based on the fact that the rear rotor size and caliper are the same on both models, being now the performance model has an oversize rotor of 355mm (vs. std 320mm), any further increase on the piston size would put too much bias towards the front.

Model S front is a 4 pot caliper with 40/44mm pistons and is the same as:
Aston Martin DB9
Audi TTRS
CamaroSS (G5)
CTS-V (V1)
Mustang GT500
Viper (G3/4/5)
Brembo's GT40 (aftermarket)​
Another mid range popular motorsports cars with 4 pot calipers are:
EVO 8/9/10 & Subie STi both are 40/46mm

*Anyone here has done this?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
It's really crazy to see the rear caliper look like a two piston caliper. It just looks heftier than needs to be for single sliding caliper design.

I keep getting excited for my performance model car but I decided not to go with the PUP but everyday question wether or not that is a good or bad move. Feel frickin crazy over here. ‍♂️

A474B307-F19F-4703-8E40-F29DBF2E5FA2.jpeg
2E82F414-D02B-4F7A-A49F-E8E1630B85AF.jpeg

Well crap, guys. Looks like 18's aren't going to fit over Performance brakes. Somebody (Alighieri256) just recently posted in another forum that the rear clearance between the caliper and wheel is 0.955" (a quarter). 19's will fit, but no 18's. Interesting enough, the fronts have a bit more gap and might BARELY clear 18's. Crazy that it is the rear that are the problem.

View attachment 320794 View attachment 320795

Can you please clarify if the wheel size showing in the pictures with "quarter" clearance is a 18" or 19" wheel.

Tks

It is neither. My understanding is that would be the 20" wheel that comes as part of the Performance Upgrade Package that includes the upgraded rotors and calipers.

Thank you.

The performance brake package has 355*/335mm rotors (w/red calipers) while 355mm rotor kit in genera requires 18" wheels to fit, and since it still shows 1" clearance (2" total for both sides), so most likely they are 20" wheels.

I assume the majority of M3 owners will have 18", which is also preferred by most track goers for availability and lower cost on tire replacement, thus a well built stock size light weight high performance 2pc rotors, and track pads shall be the prime consideration before BBK that requires 19/20" wheels.

* Same as model S front.

Unless you are certain that their piston sizes are indeed different, until further proof with a physical check*, I would think they should probably have the same piston sizes based on the fact that the rear rotor size and caliper are the same on both models, being now the performance model has an oversize rotor of 355mm (vs. std 320mm), any further increase on the piston size would put too much bias towards the front.

Model S front is a 4 pot caliper with 40/44mm pistons and is the same as:
Aston Martin DB9
Audi TTRS
CamaroSS (G5)
CTS-V (V1)
Mustang GT500
Viper (G3/4/5)
Brembo's GT40 (aftermarket)​
Another mid range popular motorsports cars with 4 pot calipers are:
EVO 8/9/10 & Subie STi both are 40/46mm

*Anyone here has done this?

The new STi has 6 piston front brakes.

My IS-F had 6 pistons calipers with 360mm rotors and 18" wheels fitted just fine.

I called into the 888-51TESLA number today with a couple of questions and I asked if the 19" sport wheels would fit over the Performance upgrade brakes. I don't think I believe it, but I was told that while they will fit the clearances are too tight for Tesla to officially approve.

Who knows.

The new STi has 6 piston front brakes.

My IS-F had 6 pistons calipers with 360mm rotors and 18" wheels fitted just fine.

6 piston caliper does'nt necessary mean has a larger TOTAL piston area than a 4 piston caliper, which (area) is what the hydraulic force is applied.

It's generally true that a 6 piston caliper uses larger (wider and deeper) pad than a 4 piston caliper, for delivering a more evenly distributed brake force. Being the pad area is larger, it requires "less" hydraulic pressure for the same amount of work comparing to a 4 pistons caliper, therefor it's more efficient and also can extend the pad and rotor life due to lower operating temperature.

Above statement is based on the assumption that a brake is pushing to near or over it's threshold (eg. track applications), for street driving you may not feel the difference (4 or 6 pistons).