Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry guys. I met Warren at his shop, but we were waiting on an engineer to measure and look at the exact specs. It's Sunday, so like myself it's a time for family. I'll schedule some time next week or the following to meet Warren and his engineers again. I do have a scheduled appointment with a Tesla service center to resolve some rock chips and other imperfections on the interior of the car. They want the car for five days. So I may not have it for most of next week. I also need to make or order some jack pads. If I had these - I would have already removed the wheel and really check the rotor and caliper specs.

Warren - thank you for your time. You vast knowledge and experience on performance brakes is amazing!

-b0n3z

Last edited:
The Model S caliper fitting is great news!

For those of you that may not know, we have just released a lightweight, curved vane 2 piece rear rotor kit for the standard Long Range Model 3 already in production!

MPP Page Mill 2 Piece Rear Rotor Kit

We have also shown that our 365mm big brake upgrade for the standard Model 3 Front 4 piston caliper is more than suitable enough for track use - which is nice as it means you don't need to spend the money on new calipers.

MPP Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit

I have to give full credit to Warren for finding that the Model S caliper fits, that will be a great upgrade for people that can get their hands on used Model S calipers and will allow the use of thicker brake pads!

The Model S caliper fitting is great news! For those of you that may not know, we have just released a lightweight, curved vane 2 piece rear rotor kit for the standard Long Range Model 3 already in production!

We have also shown that our 365mm big brake upgrade for the standard Model 3 Front 4 piston caliper is more than suitable enough for track use - which is nice as it means you don't need to spend the money on new calipers.
I have to give full credit to Warren for finding that the Model S caliper fits, that will be a great upgrade for people that can get their hands on used Model S calipers and will allow the use of thicker brake pads!

They are 2 piece rotors, but not with an aluminum hat.
So there are significant weight savings to be had with upgraded curved vane discs in the future.

Well done... :cool:

BBK-Main-Image2.jpg

The Model S caliper fitting is great news!

For those of you that may not know, we have just released a lightweight, curved vane 2 piece rear rotor kit for the standard Long Range Model 3 already in production!

Sasha,
If you made the front kit 355mm would it be able to fit under the aero 18" wheels and still provide track worthy stopping? I want to beat able to rock my aeros without having to switch rotors constantly. I assume this is not possible otherwise you guys would have done it already.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Sasha,
If you made the front kit 355mm would it be able to fit under the aero 18" wheels and still provide track worthy stopping? I want to beat able to rock my aeros without having to switch rotors constantly. I assume this is not possible otherwise you guys would have done it already.

We wouldn't recommend anything less than our 365mm kit for the track. If you are a new driver you may get away with smaller rotors at first, but you will grow out of them. We must accept the need for 19" wheels if your goal is lapping on the track, it is a heavy and powerful car. Spirited driving and Autocross, you can get away with our 320mm kit and pads.

Edit: you meant would we make a kit 10mm smaller in diameter, the answer is no, it is a design limitation with the brackets rather than a wheel fitment issue.

• Informative
Reactions: roguenode
Sasha,

I agree! I actually don't even mind swapping wheels – 18" wheels for the snow / winter, and then swap to 20" wheels for the track, etc. But I definitely don't want to swap rotors every time I want to go snowboarding, the track, etc.

-Shane

We wouldn't recommend anything less than our 365mm kit for the track. If you are a new driver you may get away with smaller rotors at first, but you will grow out of them. We must accept the need for 19" wheels if your goal is lapping on the track, it is a heavy and powerful car. Spirited driving and Autocross, you can get away with our 320mm kit and pads.

Edit: you meant would we make a kit 10mm smaller in diameter, the answer is no, it is a design limitation with the brackets rather than a wheel fitment issue.

Is this 19" minimum wheel fitment a limitation of the Tesla 18" wheels or for any 18" wheel? There's a group buy for Titan 7 Forged Wheels. Those wheels were made to maximize the brake size as the "spokes" are set back. This YouTube short explains the details:
(see the 6:50 mark where the share of the "box" behind the spokes is discussed). Would those wheels in 18" fit the big brake brackets?

Is this 19" minimum wheel fitment a limitation of the Tesla 18" wheels or for any 18" wheel? There's a group buy for Titan 7 Forged Wheels. Those wheels were made to maximize the brake size as the "spokes" are set back. This YouTube short explains the details:
(see the 6:50 mark where the share of the "box" behind the spokes is discussed). Would those wheels in 18" fit the big brake brackets?

Limitation of the Tesla 18" Aero Wheels. It is possible there is an 18" racing wheel out there that can accommodate our MPP 365mm BBK. But without knowing exactly what wheel, we don't want to steer anyone wrong. Imagine the disappointment when your new expensive wheels don't fit! We will make a printable template so everyone can check for themselves!

If there was demand for a real aero 19" wheel we would build one. I don't think its there yet - but I know personally that is what I want. a 19" aero wheel that fits our brakes, has equal aero performance to the 18 and less weight.

There are many affordable 19" snow tire options as well, however for those that want to stick with 18's our 1mm thicker/curved vane front 2pc rotor is a good solution!

Reactions: Petra and MP3Mike
If there was demand for a real aero 19" wheel we would build one. I don't think its there yet - but I know personally that is what I want. a 19" aero wheel that fits our brakes, has equal aero performance to the 18 and less weight.

There are many affordable 19" snow tire options as well, however for those that want to stick with 18's our 1mm thicker/curved vane front 2pc rotor is a good solution!

I was bummed when I realized I could not use snow tires on aero's for the winter, especially to counter range reduction in cold and snow. Seems like an oversight on Tesla's part, given there is no indication of this on the product page.

I was bummed when I realized I could not use snow tires on aero's for the winter, especially to counter range reduction in cold and snow. Seems like an oversight on Tesla's part, given there is no indication of this on the product page.
Wait what? I'm totally planning on putting snow tires on my 18" aeros. Just cause Tesla doesn't provide an 18" snow tire kit, why couldn't I just order https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...tireModel=Blizzak+LM001&partnum=345VR8LM001XL and put them on?

I wouldn't leave the aero covers ON, I would just use the actual wheels themselves as winter / snow wheels (if I could).

-Shane

I agree. In general you want to leave the outboard (wheel spoke side) as widely open as possible to help inducing cool air for more efficient cooling; especially all Tesla models (S or M3) have a very tight clearance between rotor and dust shield on inboard.

Usually with good help of cooling air (natural or ducted) it can work more effectively than trying to upgrade on brake components - Remember no matter how effective the brake parts (rotor or pads) are w/o adequate cooling/ventilation the brake performance will suffer due to the poor heat dissipation.

I agree. In general you want to leave the outboard (wheel spoke side) as widely open as possible to help inducing cool air for more efficient cooling; especially all Tesla models (S or M3) have a very tight clearance between rotor and dust shield on inboard.

Usually with good help of cooling air (natural or ducted) it can work more effectively than trying to upgrade on brake components - Remember no matter how effective the brake parts (rotor or pads) are w/o adequate cooling/ventilation the brake performance will suffer due to the poor heat dissipation.

Our goal is to build a trackable brake kit (front and rear) that will fit under stock 18" wheel (wheel cover removed); as 18" is the most common size in track community for choice and availability on cost (initial and replacement) in wheel and tire. And for those who live in cold weather area it can eliminate the need of switching the wheel & tire.

One of our recent brake projects is to build a 380/380mm complete 6/4 pot caliper kit that will fit under 18" wheels (Forgeline) for the latest super muscle car - Mustang GT350; even it comes with stock 19" light weight carbon wheels with 394/380mm rotors. This set up is only for serious track racers only but it can give you some idea of what I am talking about.

Warren,
Are you thinking of keeping the factory calipers(Non Performance+) or trying the model S calipers or maybe even something else?

Just curious...