Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we live near the shop in Edinburgh, m3 performance in black (currently with winter boots on). Give me a shout if you want to have a look etc

Thanks very much for the kind offer. Very different car "showroom" experience, right in among the designer clothes shops with no customer parking. Probably great for passing foot traffic, but you would think rates etc. would be very expensive in that location.

With the Tesla performance models, it's not the acceleration - it's the jerk, i.e., the rate of change of acceleration. The human body doesn't notice how fast you are going (like in an airplane) only how quickly you change speed. And it really notices when you suddenly start changing speed.

In a Tesla P model, one moment you are at a standstill, and the next you are at full acceleration. All EV's have this advantage over ICE's but the Tesla P's the more so. You can approximate this on an ICE with a sophisticated launch control system. With the Tesla P model - you can do it at anytime. I never did notice a substantial difference on my P100D doing the whole battery warming / launch control bit, though I've heard the M3P reluctance motors don't like doing this as much (never driven one).

OTOH it's so effective even without launch control - that it's almost boring. On the rare occasion I got it right only my manual performance ICE - it was an event.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Adopado