Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only issue to deal with is reduced efficiency and range in very cold temps during winter. Especially if you have a lead foot and drive fast on the highway with the heater on. That said, there is also a bonus that with an EV you have nearly instant heat vs an ICE that requires the motor to heat up before heating the cabin. ICE cars also suffer from range loss in winter but people don’t complain/notice it as you can fill up at a gas station quickly. If the battery is very cold and you go directly to a supercharger you will have reduced rates of charge until the cells warm up. There are ways to deal with this such as preheating the car while connected to the home charger before leaving. In most cases you should plan for ~30% reduction in range in very cold winters.

The winters are a concern as I live in North Scotland so several months of average temps in the low single figures. I do notice a difference in mpg in the winter of maybe 5-10% max, but 30% is quite a hefty hit.

The main difference is from heating. An ICE car is only using waste heat to heat the cabin so it doesn’t really affect range.
An EV has to sacrifice battery energy that would otherwise go to powering the motors, hence the penalty.

In practice, if your commute is well below the maximum range then it doesn’t really make a difference.

My normal commute uses about 40% battery in the summer and 50% batter in the winter. A hefty penalty but one that is trivial on a daily basis.

Reactions: seadog
, just genuinely interested if any compromises need to be made to your driving style

You sound much like me. I just punch it if I want that sort of action. I'm sure it is slower if the battery is below, say, 70% but its never been enough that I have noticed (but I've never been doing that when a fraction of a second mattered ... sounds like that would work fine for you too).

Passing-speed is very quick. I don't know how that would compare, but if you are doing 50 and want to be at 80 it all starts, and then completes :), very quickly. In fact "Good luck lifting off before you get to 80 ..."

I'm sure the F30 would knock spots off it above the Ton, but at road legal speeds, plus a bit of wiggle room, its a blast.

The MS-P I had previously had extraordinary traction. Near me is a big roundabout, with lights, under the a Dual Carriageway; first exit - up sliproad - so 90-degrees Left but "eased" a bit by the size of the roundabout. Full power launch taking the first exit was absolutely fine. Never any drama. And I was at the top of the sliproad and disappearing before whatever Porker/etc. behind me had even got to the bottom.

I don't know if it is "better". It is certainly "different", in a way that I most definitely prefer.

The winters are a concern as I live in North Scotland so several months of average temps in the low single figures. I do notice a difference in mpg in the winter of maybe 5-10% max, but 30% is quite a hefty hit.

Long journey should be OK. Once the battery is warm (especially if you pre-condition) and if 5C-ish IME that only costs about 10% range.

My February overall average is horrific, but my individual long-journey is 10%-ish. And when not on long journey I don't care as I have range enough, every day, by plugging in over night.

Travelling salesman IS a problem in Winter. If you stop for an hour the battery will be cold, so you get the full set-off-energy-penalty every time.

Temperature below 0C will also have an effect, but being a Soft Southerner I don't venture far on those days :)

Never driven one but a couple of questions (probably daft ones). Acceleration from standstill is obviously impressive, in an ICE you would need to use launch control and it's not recommended on a regular basis due to stresses it places on the car components. Apart from going through tyres at a quick rate are you doing any other potential damage to a Tesla with full acceleration starts? Also you would never do this in an ICE until the car was up to operating temperature, I take it this does not apply to an ICE and no issues from cold or is this bad for the motor or battery?

My current car has launch control and I've never used it once so I'm not some kind of lunatic driver just interested to know the answers.

Take a look at this video on voltage sag. He goes on a bit but might answer some of your questions. He’s also got a few different videos on his YouTube channel. Worth a look

My normal daily commute to work is 10 minutes driving in the morning (5 town, 5 main road), similar trip back at lunchtime, then back to work again after lunch, then home at night. Obviously have other trips at the weekend and the odd long trip, do around 9K per year. The 335D is a great car but I don't think the majority of my driving suits diesel, mostly short trips with a cold engine is not ideal for mpg or dpf (not that I've had any problems with it, the longer runs probably clear it out). Around town in the cold low 30's or a long trip cruising 45-50 without a problem. I thought my commute would be ideal for EV, charging every 2 to 3 nights or so.

Ordered a couple of weeks ago while it was still March expected date. Not had a chance to test drive or even view yet.

The Golf cenario above was exactly what I was worried about, when you're only recommended to charge to around 80%, it would be annoying if performance dropped continually after 70%, when your planning an overtake you don't want to have to take into consideration the battery percentage.

Maybe if you are located near another member they could let you have a look and sit in for a test drive

Maybe if you are located near another member they could let you have a look and sit in for a test drive

Planning to go to Edinburgh this weekend to at least view one up close and personal, they have a 3 Performance is the colour I ordered on display. Sadly, no test drives available on the weekends unless you book around a month in advance. I believe it's a 15 minute test drive you get? Limited benefit since their Showroom is in the city centre, you wont get very far through the traffic before you have to return and not really the kind of driving I would normally have to do.

Planning to go to Edinburgh this weekend to at least view one up close and personal, they have a 3 Performance is the colour I ordered on display. Sadly, no test drives available on the weekends unless you book around a month in advance. I believe it's a 15 minute test drive you get? Limited benefit since their Showroom is in the city centre, you wont get very far through the traffic before you have to return and not really the kind of driving I would normally have to do.

Sadly near Glasgow Airport or I would of gladly shown you around mine (not performance but stealth so very similar)

Saw that video the other day, you have to remember that's against a £100K+ monster of a car with teen real world mpg, not really surprising the Tesla got beat. Also saw a similar video against a 911 that it matched pretty well.

One of the big differences is you wake up every morning with a “full tank” if you home charge. Second, don’t use the heater when possible and just use the seat warmers. I live in Switzerland and drive fairly long distances and manage just fine.

Saw that video the other day, you have to remember that's against a £100K+ monster of a car with teen real world mpg, not really surprising the Tesla got beat.

The point was, based upon the numbers, the Model 3 should have thrashed it, but it didn't, in fact quite the opposite. Also, how much quicker they expect the Model S to be.

Last edited:

The winter range hit is quite variable. On a long journey the difference tends not to be anything like 30% ... maybe 10% or even less unless driving into howling gales. However, if you have several really short runs with stops for a while in between each then you do find the total consumption has been much faster. What people tend to do is see the their short journey uses x% and then extrapolate that to assume the range of the car in total has been reduced by a huge percentage... usually it hasn't. It's always a good policy to have the car plugged in whenever possible so that you can switch the heating on before you set off. Not only does that give you a comfortable car but it means you have a slightly warmer battery and you don't waste battery on that heating so you save range (it uses "shore power" for heating if you are plugged in).

Reactions: Vadervonham
As you say top end speed is irrelevant just want a capable car at normal speeds, and I'm sure this will be more than capable even at low battery percentage. I never drive abroad so autobahn speeds make no difference.

Check out youtube for performance drag races, there are plenty of them. I have sat and watched all of them in anticipation for my M3P, and with the exception of the Merc E63s and the 2020 RS6 you will pretty much beat everything that you will encounter on your daily drive. Unless there is a disproportionate amount of supercars where you live lol.

There’s a guy in the US who did some drag times in his P and he consistently achieved 0-60 in 3 seconds. He was aiming for 2.8 but finally achieved 2.9. Pretty cool for a car costing £56k

Reactions: pow216
Check out youtube for performance drag races, there are plenty of them. I have sat and watched all of them in anticipation for my M3P, and with the exception of the Merc E63s and the 2020 RS6 you will pretty much beat everything that you will encounter on your daily drive. Unless there is a disproportionate amount of supercars where you live lol.

There’s a guy in the US who did some drag times in his P and he consistently achieved 0-60 in 3 seconds. He was aiming for 2.8 but finally achieved 2.9. Pretty cool for a car costing £56k

I think you will find that in the real world of dodgy road surfaces and people failing to get the power down in their ICE car the M3 Performance would be likely to get off the line so much better that even the odd supercar would be embarrassed! Many (most?) people don't get particularly clean starts in the "traffic lights grand prix" whereas the Tesla is so easy to get a perfect getaway.

I think you will find that in the real world of dodgy road surfaces and people failing to get the power down in their ICE car the M3 Performance would be likely to get off the line so much better that even the odd supercar would be embarrassed! Many (most?) people don't get particularly clean starts in the "traffic lights grand prix" whereas the Tesla is so easy to get a perfect getaway.

Even better lol, I literally have never been more excited for a car.

Reactions: Adopado

we live near the shop in Edinburgh, m3 performance in black (currently with winter boots on). Give me a shout if you want to have a look etc