Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model 3 Performance Faster Than Advertised – 0-60 MPH in 3.18 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

It seems there may be a bit more performance than advertised for the Tesla Model 3 Performance version.

YouTuber Erik Strait posted a video testing the 0-60 mph time of the car, which Tesla says is 3.5 seconds. Strait, however, was able to repeatedly record a time of 3.3 seconds to 60 mph. Then, with a 99 percent charge, he hit 3.18 seconds.

The Model 3 Performance used in the test sported the 20″ Performance Wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Check out the video below.

[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TJDidF-fw” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
I question whether more traction would help the Model 3. When slip start is enabled there is no spinning or chirping of the tires. This tells me that the software limits the amount of torque the motors can put out from a standstill, and no amount of additional traction will yield quicker 0-60 times without some software modifications to allow for more output from the motors.
Lack of spinning tires is the result of software programming with a Tesla. They choose to not allow the wheels to spin faster than they should given the torque applied.
But when more traction/friction is available because of sticker/wider tires, the software can adjust when it recognizes less wheel slip and deliver more power to the wheels up to the point where the wheel rpm is not radically different from the calculated. At least this is my limited understanding. I'm sure someone with more engineering background can explain this better than me.

This is the cheapest alternative I've found . . .

2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - $62,495

Good find, but realistically MSRP goes up 10K more to click the check boxes.

I don’t believe it will be faster than the P3 in day to day use.

I think a P3 with 3 car seats installed and loaded down with crap from a Costco trip smokes this thing.

Autopilot also frees up both hands for double middle fingers as you whiz by archaic auto.

• Funny
Reactions: GWord and P85_DA
Lack of spinning tires is the result of software programming with a Tesla. They choose to not allow the wheels to spin faster than they should given the torque applied.
But when more traction/friction is available because of sticker/wider tires, the software can adjust when it recognizes less wheel slip and deliver more power to the wheels up to the point where the wheel rpm is not radically different from the calculated. At least this is my limited understanding. I'm sure someone with more engineering background can explain this better than me.
Under non-slip conditions the wheel acceleration (rate of change of rpm) should be relatively constant. When the wheel starts to slip I imagine this rate would increase rapidly. Seems like they would create a closed feedback loop that backs off the throttle whenever the slip condition is detected.

Even if more power is available (due to SOC or whatever), if the tires can’t hack it then the software limited could kick in. The software loop might run say, 100 times a second, so it could be difficult for the driver to tell any slip was occurring.

Just educated guesses...

Maximum traction occurs at ~10% wheel slip. With 4 wheels speed sensors and the SRS/ stability control accelerometer, the car can quickly determine where on the slip curve the tires are and adjust power accordingly. The 3 also has the advantage of direct motor speed feedback (for rear wheels), whereas the AC induction motor is more of an inferred speed due to the variable rotor slip.

Reactions: Brando and MP3Mike
Maximum traction occurs at ~10% wheel slip. With 4 wheels speed sensors and the SRS/ stability control accelerometer, the car can quickly determine where on the slip curve the tires are and adjust power accordingly. The 3 also has the advantage of direct motor speed feedback (for rear wheels), whereas the AC induction motor is more of an inferred speed due to the variable rotor slip.
Thanks Mongo!

I think I hate you:eek:. You just had to show me how slow my turbo SPG 900 '89 Saab actually is. I can't even count how many cars beat the 8.5 second time to 60 mph. Still feels fast to me, so sad - eh? side note: I discovered that over 50 mph letting the turbo work was faster than any down shifting. Gears are so last century. Bring on the future - electrification.

It is downhill, roughly 2m of drop. Also, the time increases by .1 sec after the battery drops a couple of percent, and another .1 sec when the battery is around 70%. So real world 0-60 mph on a battery with 60-90% charge and on level ground is likely around 3.4 sec. Still pretty good.
When in “the real world” would you need 3.18sec 0-60? When you describe that instance, would it not be possible to ensure you are on a full charge?

I question whether more traction would help the Model 3. When slip start is enabled there is no spinning or chirping of the tires. This tells me that the software limits the amount of torque the motors can put out from a standstill, and no amount of additional traction will yield quicker 0-60 times without some software modifications to allow for more output from the motors.

The car is checking for wheel spin hundreds of times a seconds and instantaneously adjusting throttle to maximize acceleration and minimize/eliminate spin. If you have hard all season tires your rubber won't have as much surface tension and it will take less power to make the wheels start spinning. I confidentially believe you'll see a .2-.3 0-60 improvement by changing 18" Aero tires from their all seasons to performance tires. I'm sure someone will report before and after soon, surely someone with 18" Aeros wants proper performance tires :)