Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smaller and Lighter wheels make you faster, more efficient, and offer better road hazard protection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 4 people in my M3P it is definitely slower. Is anyone out there claiming their M3P accelerates the same with or without 4 passengers?
the difference is negatable on 0-60mph times. And you're also talking about an absurd amount of weight.

get whatever lightweight parts you want to, go to the drag strip, run a few runs in the OEM configuration then install the parts and do it again.

even when you cut an entire car apart, it doesn't make that much of a difference. boostedboiz removed 900 pounds from a plaid by even cutting off the body, and used a driver that weighed 80 pounds iirc (short dude) and still only got 0.02 faster in the 1/4 than Roy's plaid that is much heavier.

Because if they are, simply use draggy, then put 4 people in the car and record it. If you get the same 0-60, I will stop posting.
With 4 people in my M3P it is definitely slower.
I love that you told other people to go "simply" get a draggy but then 5 minutes later definitively stated your car was slower with no quantitative proof. That pretty much summarizes this thread.

So are you suggesting that if you have 4 people in the car or only you there is no difference? Answer the question directly, don't hide from it.
Why stop at 4 people/1000 pounds? Why not ask him to add 8,000 pounds on a trailer and ask for identical results.

Add 1 person and see what happens. There will be no difference in 0-60's

That's an M3P, it does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

They didn't even use a Dragy, and they were on the street. Then they simply relied on the display that was being recorded. It's probably the worst potential testing environment you could use as a basis for measuring this, other than just having someone eyeball it and use a stop watch.
As much as it pains me I have to agree with SAM1 on this, I do agree with him here. Their way of measuring 0-60 MPH is totally invalid there. I have no doubt that their car is ridiculously quick but that video unfortunately does not prove it. If they had used a Dragy for those runs it would have proved it.

It is interesting how this topic died right as you got to that 3.01 natural 0-60, @mpgxsvcd ;) .

My wife shot it down but a friend and I were spitballing about replacing the entire roof and rear glass with a single custom molding of carbon fiber… it should only cost maybe $500 to do two iterations (one practice and one real), and save a good 50-60lb off the roof.
If anyone weighs 100 lbs and wants to drive my car at the track then they are welcome to give it a go. My prediction is that it will go 2.92-2.93 with a 100 lb driver.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Good data in this thread.

If you searched the internet for "sprung vs unsprung weight" you would find lots of information to back your findings.

Unsprung = What you call rotational
Sprung = What you call static

There are rules of thumb like 1lb removed from unsprung weight = 4lbs or more of sprung weight. You say 3 lbs and that is real data for a Tesla, which is awesome.

There are rules of thumb with respect to power to the ground but the numbers I recall apply to motorcycles.

I had a hot hatch that I removed 6.25lbs per corner. No hard data but it spun up faster (170 raging HP), handling/braking was better, but also I think the lack of unsprung mass made the car harsher over bumps.
"Unsprung weight" does not have to be rotational mass. There are suspension components that are unsprung but also not rotational. There are also rotational components like shafts and gears that are sprung.

Unsprung Mass has the same affect on straight-line acceleration as static mass unless the unsprung mass also happens to be rotational mass.

Reactions: Lindenwood
the difference is negatable on 0-60mph times. And you're also talking about an absurd amount of weight.

get whatever lightweight parts you want to, go to the drag strip, run a few runs in the OEM configuration then install the parts and do it again.

even when you cut an entire car apart, it doesn't make that much of a difference. boostedboiz removed 900 pounds from a plaid by even cutting off the body, and used a driver that weighed 80 pounds iirc (short dude) and still only got 0.02 faster in the 1/4 than Roy's plaid that is much heavier.
Plaid is a totally different vehicle than the Model 3. Plaid is traction limited. Model 3 isn't until you get down to about 2.90 for 0-60 mph on standard summer tires.

I have come up with a solution that will work fine for me. In March I am going to take delivery of a new Model S Plaid, with track pack upgrade.

I came into this "discussion" not knowing much at all about Tesla computer management. Since then, many here have schooled me significantly, sufficiently enough that now I must now state "I stand corrected" that it appears not to be clearly, simply, and only power to weight, but that there is most definitely some computer regulation.

I do really enjoy the model 3 P, but I want more unnannied acceleration than it is able to deliver, so my solution is to buy the S Plaid. If a similarly performing smaller and more nimble model 3 "plaid" arrives I would love one of those, but that is not immediatly deliverable at the moment, nor is the Roadster which I will be getting in line for. The S Plaid is a BEAST and is available now, and it is most certainly not nannied in any way.

I have come up with a solution that will work fine for me. In March I am going to take delivery of a new Model S Plaid, with track pack upgrade.

I came into this "discussion" not knowing much at all about Tesla computer management. Since then, many here have schooled me significantly, sufficiently enough that now I must now state "I stand corrected" that it appears not to be clearly, simply, and only power to weight, but that there is most definitely some computer regulation.

I do really enjoy the model 3 P, but I want more unnannied acceleration than it is able to deliver, so my solution is to buy the S Plaid. If a similarly performing smaller and more nimble model 3 "plaid" arrives I would love one of those, but that is not immediatly deliverable at the moment, nor is the Roadster which I will be getting in line for. The S Plaid is a BEAST and is available now, and it is most certainly not nannied in any way.
Be careful jumping into the Plaid. It certainly can be modified to be much faster but that platform is much more complex than the Model 3. I have seen several people spend a lot of money and effort to make their Plaid quicker in a straight line and it actually made it slower. Traction is everything with the Plaid. You can take all of the weight out you want. If you don't improve traction you won't go quicker. That isn't the case with the Model 3 Performance. Taking weight out is pretty effective until you get deep into the 2.9s for a true 0-60 mph.

The first time I went "full send" for a full throttle run with the Plaid I thought to myself, "This is fast enough to possibly give me a concussion" for real, not exaggerating.
But then the "Y" chromosome took over....
At least for the time being, I'm thinking the stock Plaid is "fast enough." I don't need to be the fastest, the stock acceleration is sufficient for me :0)
I'll be buying some new 20" wheels that are large enough to fit the ceramic brakes, but 1" smaller than the 21s because I prefer a bit more sidewall because this will be my daily driver and I don't want to dent the rims every time I fail to see a pothole.

Right, which is why Plaid has track mode, because it has no nannies.
And why you have to add a track package to unlock top speed from the computer.
Exactly, the car would be undriveable if everything was disabled (track mode or not). Hell, even the model 3 was so dangerous in dyno mode that Tesla disabled it after the first guy wrecked a few days after releasing it. Imagine that same situation with more than double the HP.

Reactions: gearchruncher