Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Glowing Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
61D47DB9-670C-4ED2-AB20-72C9A5C23EEB.jpeg
4B3E0F91-E147-4BCD-9C0B-BBA33C8E8AAD.jpeg
Hi,
I have a model 3 performance with the factory brake equipment. I was driving spiritedly through a canyon road and I felt my brakes slowly fading, and I got a message saying brake temperature high, braking performance reduced, so I eased off the brakes. I pulled over to check the rotors, and they were glowing orange! Now, even though this surprised me, I know brakes heat up an intense amount as there is another car I have for track use. Although it has carbon ceramic brakes and does not glow.

I immediately drove at speed to cool the brakes for a couple miles and then parked again to check the brake pads. They were all good. My only concern is that the outer ring of the rotor (not the face, on the edge) had some corrosion on it due to the heat. I’ve had this happened on a Civic Type R I used to own.

I just wanted to ask people who do autocross or track events know if this is ok, and if there’s a way to clean. I don’t care about the aesthetics. Just want tips on what to look out for. I know when hot, you shouldn’t apply the parking brake as it can stick to the rotor.

The OE pads and rotors are not great for that sort of treatment. The temperature warning can come up within a couple of laps of a short circuit if it includes a few big stops.The pads and rotors will be glazed now as well, most probably.

If you're going to do this often. I suggest looking at aftermarket track pads and maybe larger rotors.

I actually did put in park by accident because I didn’t know they were glowing. I assumed brake fluid was hot. As I soon as I saw. I immediately drove off to cool. I was very hard on the brakes in the canyon. It has some very slow corners. I’ve read others doing full track days experience this same thing.

I’m not going to be doing this often on public roads. I needed to break in the brake pads as I heard there is an initial layer that needs to broken down. I have a track day coming up this weekend, but it’s going to rain and the car I normally track is RWD and it’s not insured for track. So I though I might keep this as my alternate choice if it is going to rain too much.

Were you driving with full regen mode on? This seems never happen to us even on the track, because regen takes away so much load off the rotors. The only case I hear before of this warning was someone running without track mode on Nurburgring.

Holy crap, that's pretty impressive/scary. How does one use THAT much braking in a car with 0.2g of regen lol I mostly use regen on my canyon runs and sometimes a tiny bit of braking for the hairpin turns, but never enough to get brakes very hot. Tell me you have some video?

Reactions: Renesh0241
No I don’t have video. My dash cam file was corrupted. I have a 128gb usb drive. But found it can’t handle fat32 when it fills up. The speed slows down and gives me an error message. I actually think I might need to bleed the brakes. I’m having Tesla service check it out. I want to change the fluid to Castrol SRF later. I heard it’s much better.