Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If choosing 18 inch wheels indeed lowers the price by $5k (not shown in the configuration yet) then it will be almost impossible to pass up on it for any LR AWD customer. 1.2 second improvement on 0-60 time for $2k would be money very well spent...

It's less than a 1 second improvement if you actually use the same testing method for both cars... (Tesla uses a different test for the P models than all the others to make them look better than they really are compared to the non-Ps- they have for years and it's pretty crappy of them)

Not that the difference isn't significant, it's just nearer 0.8-0.9 than 1.2

I took delivery of my LR AWD last month. I would love to pay an upgrade fee to turn mine into a "P3D-"! Do you guys think that would be something Tesla would do?

You’re the twenty billionth person that’s asked. I’d guess no. Why? Well, my suspicion is that that based on Elon saying that these are binned motors for the P3, it’s possible that there are many motors out there that can’t handle the increased power. And if Tesla starts doling our power upgrades for some LR AWD (with newer motors) and not others, there would be revolution in the streets.

I suspect that somewhere along the line all the motors from Tesla became P3 capable.

That’s just my guess. But you never know. Could wake up tomorrow and there’s an update that brings a performance upgrade to LR AWD owners for $x.

You’re the twenty billionth person that’s asked. I’d guess no. Why? Well, my suspicion is that that based on Elon saying that these are binned motors for the P3, it’s possible that there are many motors out there that can’t handle the increased power.

This has been debunked about twenty one billion times though using the parts catalog and owners actually posting pics of the PNs in their cars :)

This has been debunked about twenty one billion times though using the parts catalog and owners actually posting pics of the PNs in their cars :)

It has not been debunked. Like I said, it’s possible as manufacturing ramped up that the parts were able to become the same. That doesn’t mean they were actually the exact, non-binned same at launch.

It has not been debunked. Like I said, it’s possible as manufacturing ramped up that the parts were able to become the same. That doesn’t mean they were actually the exact, non-binned same at launch.

Except the PNs have always been the same, even from launch.

So when the service center orders a replacement DU for a P or an AWD, they order the same PN for either.

And have since day 1.

That's the opposite of how binning works- where you assign a different PN to the higher vs lower performing part.

See also the folks who ordered a P3D-, showed up to get an AWD delivered, and the service center "fixed" it with a software flash.

Except the PNs have always been the same, even from launch.

So when the service center orders a replacement DU for a P or an AWD, they order the same PN for either.

And have since day 1.

That's the opposite of how binning works- where you assign a different PN to the higher vs lower performing part.

See also the folks who ordered a P3D-, showed up to get an AWD delivered, and the service center "fixed" it with a software flash.

I do remember that. I don’t remember how early that was in the process.

Heh. I have no real idea of course. I just don’t know why Elon would bring it up if it weren’t true.

Then again...

Elon often claims things up front, then when they get to the actual details/work/engineering he finds out he was wrong.

See also his claiming the new base paint would be a new simple white- until he was told that was dumb and it's now pearl white.

Or how he was going to change the Y substantially from the 3 until he was told that was dumb and now it's mostly a slightly taller and squared off 3 sharing a ton of parts

In this case he probably thought the binning would be a thing when he said it- then it turns out the actually engineering was such that all motors met P standards- thus only 1 PN for the same drive unit in either type of car.

Looks like they brought back the sleeper (P3D-) option stated 18 inch wheels avail on special request.
I called and confirmed you loose: 20 inch wheels/performance brakes/alum pedals/carbon spoiler/susp upgrade.
Confirmed you can subtract $5000.00 from build if choosing this option.

You can now get a brand new performance sleeper for $49,990 before any rebates.
This is the config I bought very early in the P3D days and love it. I wanted it because I wanted the performance but snow tire choice and range were big concerns for me as I commute from the Bay to Tahoe every week. Sure the 20s or 21s will give better handling in more challenging circumstances and probably look cooler.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Elon often claims things up front, then when they get to the actual details/work/engineering he finds out he was wrong.

See also his claiming the new base paint would be a new simple white- until he was told that was dumb and it's now pearl white.

Or how he was going to change the Y substantially from the 3 until he was told that was dumb and now it's mostly a slightly taller and squared off 3 sharing a ton of parts

In this case he probably thought the binning would be a thing when he said it- then it turns out the actually engineering was such that all motors met P standards- thus only 1 PN for the same drive unit in either type of car.

Yes, that’s what my ending “Then again...” was about.

Ok. Now even I'm starting to get buyer's remorse.
$50k for a Performance with pearl white paint and AP. Wow.

Makes an AWD unlock more likely though, given how small the difference that's clearly only SW is today.

They could now charge LESS than 5k for such an unlock for current owners and still not be undercutting the "new car" price diff from AWD to P3D-

"In this case he probably thought the binning would be a thing when he said it- then it turns out the actually engineering was such that all motors met P standards- thus only 1 PN for the same drive unit in either type of car."

^ I think that's pretty much on the money. Elon also likes to make bold claims to hype things up, often before he has the full details on the eventual outcome. He probably wanted P owners to feel special and let them know it when the reality from his team was that fully streamlining motors to be 1 PN made for an efficient assembly line and parts replacement. Reducing complexity at every instance possible becomes critical when you have a car with 10,000 parts. Just look at how Ludicrous mode is included on every single P model S. That means every single motor is capable of it, and probably has been all along. I'm sure they replicated that with the model 3, except they just haven't offered an upgrade path for AWD owners yet, as at this point it seems like they really should as they stand to make easy money out of it. It will be interesting to see what Tesla changes in the next configuration shakeup.