Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, does Texas require rail transport from Fremont?
I believe so. See the link below. Its 2 years old so I don't know if theyve changed shipping providers but I'd assume there really haven't been too many new rail lines built in the last 2 years. My understanding is truck only shipment is reserved for the west coast states but perhaps someone with more knowledge can add on

My date changed today. Pushed back from August 14th to September 11th.

Ordered on June 16th, June to August.
June 17th: August 12th to September 16
June 27th: July 30 to September 3rd
July 12th: August 14th to September 11th
So the song goes....

So we keep waiting
Waiting on the EDD to change
We keep on waiting
It's hard to beat the system
When we're standing at a distance
So we keep waiting on (waiting)

Seems like I'm the only one here that is still sitting at the Jun-Aug window. I reached out to my SA a number of times to check if there was a problem with my order. The only answers I ever get are vague -

We'll let you know when your VIN is assigned.

Maybe I'll get lucky and receive it last month the 'Jun' part of my Jun-Aug window, LOL
Yes this waiting game is tough. I haven't been able to talk to anyone. I guess I don't really need to lol but I just want an actual person to tell me everything is fine :cool:

Reactions: julit0
Seems like I'm the only one here that is still sitting at the Jun-Aug window. I reached out to my SA a number of times to check if there was a problem with my order. The only answers I ever get are vague -

We'll let you know when your VIN is assigned.

Maybe I'll get lucky and receive it last month the 'Jun' part of my Jun-Aug window, LOL
You misunderstand. It’s June 2023 🤣

Which other EV offerings are those? A large part of what pushed me back into a Tesla is that there really ARE no competitors. Everything else that's worth the money is either untouchable for a year or more (Rivian, Ford), or aren't very competitive (Polestar)...
While shopping for a vehicle is clearly a personal and subjective process and, thus, nobody's opinion is invalid, this post is spot on. Alternatives to the Model 3 are either a) simply unavailable any time soon, b) if they do show up earlier than expected dealers are then adding $10-20k to MSRP at delivery because some people waiting in line are willing to pay that, c) very risky first gens still in unproven infancy (such as the Mercedes EQS), d) ugly enough that my own grandmother would be embarrassed to drive one (looking at you, Polestar!), and/or e) well over $100k (Plaid S, most Lucid Airs, etc). Again some of that is admittedly subjective, but that all seems to be the general consensus these days.

Honestly, the Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance is the only subjectively appropriate non-Tesla 'upgrade' to a M3P that could be delivered in a reasonable timeframe, but it costs $180,000! To put into perspective how comical this pricing is getting, for almost the same money you can either buy that car... OR A FERRARI! True story - a Ferrari Portafino is just over $200k and some of these EVs are now flirting with that same price point, that's how out of hand these car prices are getting.

A lot of us in this room did the research before we officially ordered a M3P and concluded that it is the only available EV model that offers strong performance/range and has been proven over time while costing a reasonably sane amount.

While shopping for a vehicle is clearly a personal and subjective process and, thus, nobody's opinion is invalid, this post is spot on. Alternatives to the Model 3 are either a) simply unavailable any time soon, b) if they do show up earlier than expected dealers are then adding $10-20k to MSRP at delivery because some people waiting in line are willing to pay that, c) very risky first gens still in unproven infancy (such as the Mercedes EQS), d) ugly enough that my own grandmother would be embarrassed to drive one (looking at you, Polestar!), and/or e) well over $100k (Plaid S, most Lucid Airs, etc). Again some of that is admittedly subjective, but that all seems to be the general consensus these days.

Honestly, the Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance is the only subjectively appropriate non-Tesla 'upgrade' to a M3P that could be delivered in a reasonable timeframe, but it costs $180,000! To put into perspective how comical this pricing is getting, for almost the same money you can either buy that car... OR A FERRARI! True story - a Ferrari Portafino is just over $200k and some of these EVs are now flirting with that same price point, that's how out of hand these car prices are getting.

A lot of us in this room did the research before we officially ordered a M3P and concluded that it is the only available EV model that offers strong performance/range and has been proven over time while costing a reasonably sane amount.
Yeah, definitely wasn't trying to be a Tesla fanboi or disparaging with my comment, by any means- more about I really don't think there are any electric cars out there for ~$65k or less that you can get inside of ~3 months. If anything lands at a dealership that hasn't already pre-sold, like a Mach E, you're going to be paying substantial dealer markup for it.

I would agree with both of you. And I am more at peace with my choice knowing that others have also done their research and determined that the M3 is still maybe the best EV option all things considered. As mentioned, I found myself in a position where my daily commuter needed more service than it made sense to pay for. Long commute so dependability and gas mileage are priorities. That's why I was thinking Accord hybrid. Seems to check all the boxes with comfort, Apple Car Play, dependability. But even at 43 to 48 mpg I would still be spending a lot on gas with Premium at $6.80/g.
New fully loaded Accord going for about $42K. And you can get them even now without a big mark-up. Until my car shows up I'm driving my truck to work at 17 mpg.
But not knowing how bad things are going to get or how much longer the powers that be are going to continue to do or not do things to push people to buy EVs, I started looking at EVs specifically. And landed on M3P for all the reasons above. I guess I justify the extra $30K based on M3P performance/power, good stock stereo?, comfortable seats, lower maintenance cost. And not continuing to postpone the inevitable transition to electric.

Yeah, definitely wasn't trying to be a Tesla fanboi or disparaging with my comment, by any means- more about I really don't think there are any electric cars out there for ~$65k or less that you can get inside of ~3 months. If anything lands at a dealership that hasn't already pre-sold, like a Mach E, you're going to be paying substantial dealer markup for it.
Hey guys,

I wanted to chime in on the last two posts....The one reason the Model 3 Performance is $65K is that its a fairly stripped car with few options. This was obviously deliberate by Tesla to offer the "world" an affordable EV ....of course the Model 3 has seen many price increases and even more features deleted (and a couple added). The VW also offers a vastly better dealer network and customer service than Teslas.

I want to use the 2022 GTI that I bought to get me through my wait for a M3P as a comparison. The total MSRP for my GTI Autobahn was $40,605, that includes shipping/destination charge.

For $40,605 it has the following that the Model 3 does not:

Heads Up Display
Drivers side virtual display
AC seats (as well as heated of course)
CarPlay & Android Auto
SiriusXM
Multi mode adaptive chassis control
Passenger lumbar support

Of course the GTI also has all the other features of most modern upper end cars these days...So, to get the items in a Tesla that my $40,605 VW has, we have to pony up for a Model S or X.

Hey guys,

I wanted to chime in on the last two posts....The one reason the Model 3 Performance is $65K is that its a fairly stripped car with few options. This was obviously deliberate by Tesla to offer the "world" an affordable EV ....of course the Model 3 has seen many price increases and even more features deleted (and a couple added). The VW also offers a vastly better dealer network and customer service than Teslas.

I want to use the 2022 GTI that I bought to get me through my wait for a M3P as a comparison. The total MSRP for my GTI Autobahn was $40,605, that includes shipping/destination charge.

For $40,605 it has the following that the Model 3 does not:

Heads Up Display
Drivers side virtual display
AC seats (as well as heated of course)
CarPlay & Android Auto
SiriusXM
Multi mode adaptive chassis control
Passenger lumbar support

Of course the GTI also has all the other features of most modern upper end cars these days...So, to get the items in a Tesla that my $40,605 VW has, we have to pony up for a Model S or X.
Well - we're talking EVs, not ICE cars. Trust me, if there's a fun car out there under $100k, I've probably owned it! :)

The Model 3 Performance is far from 'stripped out' - but I get where you're coming from.

The current-gen GTI and Golf R are an insanely good value. If not for the absolutely terrible steering wheel controls and the long-term reliability, we'd probably have a new Golf R in the garage. Heck, there's a solid chance we'll have one at some point this year, regardless of those issues.

Well - we're talking EVs, not ICE cars. Trust me, if there's a fun car out there under $100k, I've probably owned it! :)

The Model 3 Performance is far from 'stripped out' - but I get where you're coming from.

The current-gen GTI and Golf R are an insanely good value. If not for the absolutely terrible steering wheel controls and the long-term reliability, we'd probably have a new Golf R in the garage. Heck, there's a solid chance we'll have one at some point this year, regardless of those issues.
Oh, I totally understand, I'm just bringing up why the Model 3 is one of the more "affordable" EV's out there, its essentially bare bones whether EV or ICE.

Reactions: Flatbroke
New member here, just put in my order yesterday and received an updated delivery window today. I’m in the LA area, Santa Monica to be exact. Curious if anyone has put in an order in the past few days and what your expected delivery dates are.

OD - 7/12
M3P White w/ White interior, no other add ons.
Delivery window of Aug - Oct at the time of order. Updated today to 9/9 - 10/21

Actually the capacitive controls are fine, way overblown by online reviewers. What pissed off all the diehards is that the hottest hot hatch lost its old school feel. The long term reliability should be pretty decent I'd think, even though I won't have mine 4 months. Its a proven 2.0 used across many VW's and Audis. The DSG transmission is bullet proof. Build quality is second to none, phenomenal quality!!!!

New member here, just put in my order yesterday and received an updated delivery window today. I’m in the LA area, Santa Monica to be exact. Curious if anyone has put in an order in the past few days and what your expected delivery dates are.

OD - 7/12
M3P White w/ White interior, no other add ons.
Delivery window of Aug - Oct at the time of order. Updated today to 9/9 - 10/21
This is a great resource for checking order dates, VIN dates and numbers and a lot other info about orders. I know we have the Q3 order folks and some remaining Q2 orders - so I wanted to add this for the Q3 folks. There's also another link out that that presents some of this in a dashboard style format - that you may want to search this thread for. I'll try to find/post later today.

Wiki - Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet | Tesla Motors Club

Actually the capacitive controls are fine, way overblown by online reviewers. What pissed off all the diehards is that the hottest hot hatch lost its old school feel. The long term reliability should be pretty decent I'd think, even though I won't have mine 4 months. Its a proven 2.0 used across many VW's and Audis. The DSG transmission is bullet proof. Build quality is second to none, phenomenal quality!!!!
Yeah, I've driven a new GTI. It's definitely overblown, but the touch controls - especially for the volume - are still quite terrible. They're designed well enough so that you generally have a good idea of which steering wheel button you're 'pressing', but it's a far cry from physical buttons at this point. I bet when MK8.5 comes out, it will at least have a volume knob for the radio - like the Civic Type R when they refreshed it.

Long-term reliability on VW is a well-documented gamble, at best, even if you get a good example. It's the sheer brilliance of the engineering, combined with GM-level bean-counters that do it. Incredible evap tank design, hampered by a cheaper plastic material that degrades over time with heat - stuff like that. Definitely nothing you'll come across in 4 months, but don't let your honeymoon period with the car pull the wool over your eyes. 😄

I've had 3 cars with a combined ~100k miles or so with that engine, trust me - I know all about it... and two of those with the same DSG. My wife's MK7.5 DSG Golf R, once it had decent tires and suspension on it, was an absolute blast, and could manage 30+mpg on the highway all day long.

My RS3 was a similar example of engineering silliness - they put the intake air temperature sensor underneath the intake manifold, DIRECTLY above the exhaust manifold. More than once I'd go to take off after sitting at a light, only to be dumped into limp mode because it thinks the intake air temperature is too high. The DSG for that car also had a breather tube that was behind the driver's side headlight - after a good day of hard driving, you would pop your hood to find transmission fluid everywhere, as it expanded through the breather hose all over the engine bay. It's decisions like that which have soured VAG products for me substantially, but I still can't help but get excited by them, at times!

This is a great resource for checking order dates, VIN dates and numbers and a lot other info about orders. I know we have the Q3 order folks and some remaining Q2 orders - so I wanted to add this for the Q3 folks. There's also another link out that that presents some of this in a dashboard style format - that you may want to search this thread for. I'll try to find/post later today.

Wiki - Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet | Tesla Motors Club
i try to keep my signature up to date to avoid questions

Reactions: julit0 and unlock