Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it doesn't sound like they have started building the performance models for Q1 yet? I don't know how they work, just know I ordered in December, but have not heard a word from Tesla. I just hope they hit the March delivery timeline!

Pretty sure most of us won’t start seeing vins until last week of February. I believe I remember seeing somewhere that transit times to east coast after production is about two weeks. By that assumption i wouldn’t expect any performance 3’s to roll off the line prior to end of February.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Pretty sure most of us won’t start seeing vins until last week of February. I believe I remember seeing somewhere that transit times to east coast after production is about two weeks. By that assumption i wouldn’t expect any performance 3’s to roll off the line prior to end of February.

My SA told me not to expect a VIN until 3 weeks before delivery, and to expect the car mid-to-late March. Puts VINs just where you say, very late February or early March.

Tim

Reactions: Ralbright
It's a battery powered car. Not all that different from an RC car, electric leaf blower, etc. They all have degrading performance as battery voltage diminishes. The only way to "prevent" this would be to artificially cap the peak performance to "hide" the degradation.

Same thing will happen to a LR, it's just not going to be as dramatic a loss, as the peak performance is lower. This is one of the areas an ICE car still has advantages, no power difference at a full tank vs. an eighth of a tank.

The car's software is designed to protect the battery, so naturally performance will degrade with charge level, temperatures, etc. Even with degraded performance, the instant torque and lack of shifting make up for some of the loss.

To me, the extra half a second at peak performance is a fun trick for your friends, without much real world application unless you drag race. I'm going performance for the extra frills including the lowered stance, uberturbine wheels, upgraded brakes, etc.

Tim

Looks like the LR 2021 performs way better than the Performance in a 90 - 10% SoC cold 0 - 100km/h weather test. The LR is actually faster than the Performance at a lower state of charge. This was just uploaded today.

However in EU, the LR has the LG battery that performs better in cold weather, where as the Performance has the Panasonic battery. Do we know if that’s the case in the US as well?

Looks like the LR 2021 performs way better than the Performance in a 90 - 10% SoC cold 0 - 100km/h weather test. The LR is actually faster than the Performance at a lower state of charge. This was just uploaded today.

Unfortunately there is no useful comparison data in his test. Battery performance is *greatly* dependent upon temperature, especially when low temperatures are combined with lower SOC's. In addition, there are sophisticated software limits based upon temperatures, resistances, traction predictions, etc. that we don't know about.

This guy tested 3 cars down to 10% SOC somewhere in the middle of Siberia in vastly different weather conditions and just said "Oh, don't worry that the other car had a battery temperature of 28.5C and this car is at 8.5C, I don't think it will make much of a difference."
Yeah dude, it makes a difference. It makes all the difference.

Also note that when you crank up the cabin heat in a <2021 it heats the battery. But in a 2021+ it chills the battery. So if you really need to maximize performance in the snow, wear a heavy jacket and blast the AC to keep the battery warm. ;)