Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the "new Tesla vision thing"?
Previous car models (and all other brands right now) use a radar signal to measure the distance and relative speed to obstacles and other cars in front of your car. Tesla has now decided to migrate to a camera-based system that uses artificial intelligence to calculate that distance and speed, much in the same way we humans do it. They call it Tesla vision.

I have been wondering how it compares to a radar system, in particular in low-visibility situations (rain, snow, smoke, etc). It must be "good enough" that they decided to switch, and it will potentially continue to improve as the technologies involved improve. There is no choice, though, for end users. All Model 3 cars now come with Tesla vision.

Previous car models (and all other brands right now) use a radar signal to measure the distance and relative speed to obstacles and other cars in front of your car. Tesla has now decided to migrate to a camera-based system that uses artificial intelligence to calculate that distance and speed, much in the same way we humans do it. They call it Tesla vision.

I have been wondering how it compares to a radar system, in particular in low-visibility situations (rain, snow, smoke, etc). It must be "good enough" that they decided to switch, and it will potentially continue to improve as the technologies involved improve. There is no choice, though, for end users. All Model 3 cars now come with Tesla vision.
It's not good. I have 2 cars without radar and had one with.

The vision cars have so much more phantom braking, and in general suck in comparison.

Reactions: Extant
May be selling mine if anyone is interested. Love the vehicle but a personal event took place and need to make a change.

White on white. Picked it up at Tesla (100 miles away/Aug 13th), Tinted windows and took it on one road trip, 150 miles each way. Has not seen rain, never even been washed yet. Garaged, Perfect condition.
I’m in Kentucky. 500ish miles on odometer.
DM me if interested. I’d like to get about what I paid for it (obvs I’m out sales tax)
There’s no lien on the vehicle.

Attachments

• AC9EBE28-C308-41DD-9E97-23FC7A75BFC9.jpeg
    AC9EBE28-C308-41DD-9E97-23FC7A75BFC9.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 96
  • ABD332BF-CE46-4D32-A6BF-0FBA245543B4.jpeg
    ABD332BF-CE46-4D32-A6BF-0FBA245543B4.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It's not good. I have 2 cars without radar and had one with.

The vision cars have so much more phantom braking, and in general suck in comparison.
Oh, man! Thanks for letting me know. Definitely not what I was hoping for.

I guess it came down to cost, two cameras (which were already there) plus a Tensor-type GPU are much cheaper than a radar unit. Our only hope is that the software gets better quick...

Yeah, me too. Some people have reported that the dates got really close once they made their final payment, but mine stayed right where they were.

The average time between VIN and delivery is 10 days, though, and some people have also said they got calls telling them their car got there early and asked them to reschedule for an earlier date. But averages are just averages, and half the people are above, and the other half are below...

Center Cap Set
Tesla Pucks

Those are the links to what I purchased and took with me to the tire shop. They did not have the pucks so thankfully that I had them because they were going find alternate methods to jack the car up. Paid $65 to have the wheels swapped.
No issues with brake caliper clearance and the 18s? I am seriously considering swapping to 19 or 18 when my tires are worn out, just for a bit of ride/noise enhancement and potential weight savings.

View attachment 703404

Man I love this car! Best purchase I've made in a very long time. And just such an easy delivery process, no more long hours sitting at a dealer waiting to be ripped off. So happy.

Hope all you guys and gals get your cars soon!!
Congrats! How did you find you existing inventory car? I'm feverishly looking every day, but no luck yet. Great looking car, by the way.

Picking up mine tomorrow morning! So excited! I was able to stop by my dealer and see my car tonight on my way home from work. My date of order was 7/22 and pick up 8/31, seems a little longer than average for a performance. At first glance it seemed like it was in perfect shape. One more sleep to go! This was a sneak preview as they were still detailing it in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 75
No issues with brake caliper clearance and the 18s? I am seriously considering swapping to 19 or 18 when my tires are worn out, just for a bit of ride/noise enhancement and potential weight savings.
Yeah no issues thus far. I’m currently at 280 miles of range fully charged to 90% that number seems to be increasing. I adjusted the avatar to think the car is on 18” non aero cover wheels so I’m sure it’ll be week until it’s fully calibrated