Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS just wondering why did you go with a lease? And are you looking to purchase after the lease is over since there's that possibility now?

I have car ADD and keep jumping to a new vehicle every 2.5-4 years, ha ha. See my signature for the list of new cars that I've gone through to date.

I used to buy my cars with cash then sell when it's time to jump (most economical), but as my cars got more expensive, selling them got more difficult and risky as some potential buyers were kind of shady and it's scary doing large-ish financial transactions with some of these folks. I ended up switching to leasing after I sold my BMW M3.

Leasing is more expensive, but I like the certainty of knowing exactly how much I'm going lose and when I'll be doing my next upgrade. I see it as paying for the convenience of not having to deal with the selling & uncertainty.

In the case of my last car (2018 Porsche 911), the residual was way lower than the market value so I did a quick and easy flip to my local exotic car dealer at lease end. I don't intend to keep this car past 3 years but I'm excited to see that there may be a buyout option that I could potentially leverage at lease end when I move on to whatever is next.

My SA got back to me and he did not sound overly optimistic that I would be getting my car any time soon. He did state that they would roll the free supercharging offer over into a 2021 delivery for me. There was a similar spec demo (white interior instead of black) that he removed FSD from and matched it to me. It has a few hundred miles on it, which in the grand scheme of things isn't all that much. I'm glad to finally get this resolved.

Sadly I had an actual appointment booked (day and time), which was removed without explanation from my SA. Now it just says "we'll reach out to you to schedule delivery..."
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you call the person assigned to your order and find out if it's for sure cancelled? This is the second Tesla purchase for us and both times we've had someone assigned to our order from the very beginning. We have their direct phone number and email and they are pretty quick getting back to us if they are unable to answer the phone immediately. Don't get me wrong, they are crazy busy, but we've actually had excellent experiences dealing with them.
I feel really bad for everyone who ordered before us and are still waiting. We really weren't expecting our until March! But like I said, perhaps someone couldn't make their delivery and it was the same order as us.

I was told that they do a guesstimate of how many cars of particular specs (different exterior, interior colour combinations, different models etc) and send a batch through to a location, so even if you ordered early, it's still about matching with your exact specs in that location. Let's say there were only two cars you match with, but three people ordered them, the then you might be the one who has to wait till the next batch arrives.

I also heard that the there were WAY more performance models ordered than Tesla was expecting for this quarter.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you call the person assigned to your order and find out if it's for sure cancelled? This is the second Tesla purchase for us and both times we've had someone assigned to our order from the very beginning. We have their direct phone number and email and they are pretty quick getting back to us if they are unable to answer the phone immediately. Don't get me wrong, they are crazy busy, but we've actually had excellent experiences dealing with them.
I feel really bad for everyone who ordered before us and are still waiting. We really weren't expecting our until March! But like I said, perhaps someone couldn't make their delivery and it was the same order as us.

I was told that they do a guesstimate of how many cars of particular specs (different exterior, interior colour combinations, different models etc) and send a batch through to a location, so even if you ordered early, it's still about matching with your exact specs in that location. Let's say there were only two cars you match with, but three people ordered them, the then you might be the one who has to wait till the next batch arrives.

I also heard that the there were WAY more performance models ordered than Tesla was expecting for this quarter.
Makes sense! Yes, they are looking into it now (apparently)

My SA got back to me and he did not sound overly optimistic that I would be getting my car any time soon. He did state that they would roll the free supercharging offer over into a 2021 delivery for me. There was a similar spec demo (white interior instead of black) that he removed FSD from and matched it to me. It has a few hundred miles on it, which in the grand scheme of things isn't all that much. I'm glad to finally get this resolved.

Does the SA have that authority? I told mine that if I cannot get the car today (which I am not), I cant pick it up until next year. He said no supercharging for free, nothing he can do about it...

I have car ADD and keep jumping to a new vehicle every 2.5-4 years, ha ha. See my signature for the list of new cars that I've gone through to date.

I used to buy my cars with cash then sell when it's time to jump (most economical), but as my cars got more expensive, selling them got more difficult and risky as some potential buyers were kind of shady and it's scary doing large-ish financial transactions with some of these folks. I ended up switching to leasing after I sold my BMW M3.

Leasing is more expensive, but I like the certainty of knowing exactly how much I'm going lose and when I'll be doing my next upgrade. I see it as paying for the convenience of not having to deal with the selling & uncertainty.

In the case of my last car (2018 Porsche 911), the residual was way lower than the market value so I did a quick and easy flip to my local exotic car dealer at lease end. I don't intend to keep this car past 3 years but I'm excited to see that there may be a buyout option that I could potentially leverage at lease end when I move on to whatever is next.

Is there a buyout option now? The reason I didnt consider a lease is that if I want to exit before the 3 years, I would have to just buy out the remaining payments instead of sell the car. Also lease rates are very high compared to other cars and no buyout- so no equity position. seeing they hold their value pretty decent I figured buying I would come out ahead. But if we can sell the car at lease end that changes everything.

BTW fellow 911 owner here, adding a M3P :) I have a 15 C2S, went to test drive a LR-AWD and even that made my 911 feel slow. Cant wait to try the Performance.

Does the SA have that authority? I told mine that if I cannot get the car today (which I am not), I cant pick it up until next year. He said no supercharging for free, nothing he can do about it...

I'm not really sure, and was surprised it was even offered based on experiences I have read about on here. I had mentioned that I was likely going to cancel my order if I got delayed into the back half of Q1, so maybe that played into it?

I'm not really sure, and was surprised it was even offered based on experiences I have read about on here. I had mentioned that I was likely going to cancel my order if I got delayed into the back half of Q1, so maybe that played into it?

I said that too, they didnt give a crap haha. Selling too well in the Bay. Sometimes I wish they had traditional dealerships as the process is more well defined (although most of the time I do hate dealerships).

FYI - there is now a red/black M3P in inventory in the Bay Area. If anyone on the west coast is waiting, I’d act on it! The inventory cars have been getting snatched up pretty quickly.

I know! I nearly pulled the trigger on a Model Y Perf inventory car and then it got snatched up...Would do it if it wasn’t red. I like neutral black white grey.

Just got done checking my car (they did a home delivery on mine). Mostly pretty good, I've already scheduled a service appt for 9/30. 3 main issues, one of them will be a bigger repair, although not the end of the world.

1. The big one - looks like they banged the trunk lid into something while assembling the car. It's in the corner by the rear pillar. Dent and associated paint scrapes. Surprised no one fixed it - I'm guessing the trunk lid will need to be replaced, ultimately but maybe they can do something about the other 2 items.
  2. Both front seats, the lumbar support's 4-way switch only works in 3 ways (back direction on both is borked)
  3. Right rear window squeals on open/close
So far that's about it. Fit and finish isn't Porsche, but it's acceptable otherwise. Hadn't had a chance to do anything fun with it - it never rains in SoCal... except today where it's been raining for almost 14 hrs straight now!!!

Car came at half charge (167 miles). The Tesla store was sold out of 14-50 adapters for the mobile charger so mine isn't going to get here until 12/30. Using a plain socket right now... at 4 mpg, estimate is around 22 hrs to fill up. lol

There was already a SW update to install, so I'm doing that now - will continue playing with things later, but I'm just doinking around in the SW at this point and not expecting to find anything else.

-- Edit to add pictures -- 2 of the damage, 1 of the wet car in my garage!

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 49
If it means anything to the rest of the Bay Area folks, a friend of mine was in the same position last year. He got a text on the 29th that has car was going into production and would be available on the 31st for pickup. He picked it up late in the afternoon from the factory on the 31st, there’s still hope!
This is what my SA is telling me today is the most likely outcome.

FYI - there is now a red/black M3P in inventory in the Bay Area. If anyone on the west coast is waiting, I’d act on it! The inventory cars have been getting snatched up pretty quickly.
I was told that even the cars available now at the Fremont factory won't be able to make it down to SoCAL by the end of the year unless it was already in transit.......oh boy

Just got done checking my car (they did a home delivery on mine). Mostly pretty good, I've already scheduled a service appt for 9/30. 3 main issues, one of them will be a bigger repair, although not the end of the world.

1. The big one - looks like they banged the trunk lid into something while assembling the car. It's in the corner by the rear pillar. Dent and associated paint scrapes. Surprised no one fixed it - I'm guessing the trunk lid will need to be replaced, ultimately but maybe they can do something about the other 2 items.
  2. Both front seats, the lumbar support's 4-way switch only works in 3 ways (back direction on both is borked)
  3. Right rear window squeals on open/close
So far that's about it. Fit and finish isn't Porsche, but it's acceptable otherwise. Hadn't had a chance to do anything fun with it - it never rains in SoCal... except today where it's been raining for almost 14 hrs straight now!!!

Car came at half charge (167 miles). The Tesla store was sold out of 14-50 adapters for the mobile charger so mine isn't going to get here until 12/30. Using a plain socket right now... at 4 mpg, estimate is around 22 hrs to fill up. lol

There was already a SW update to install, so I'm doing that now - will continue playing with things later, but I'm just doinking around in the SW at this point and not expecting to find anything else.

-- Edit to add pictures -- 2 of the damage, 1 of the wet car in my garage!
That's my spec. It's beautiful. And makes me want to be patient to get what I ordered.

The issue you have will get resolved. Boy that is weird damage. Almost like they had something propping the trunk open and closed it on it to cause that bend. Or it got dropped pre-install. Such a sharp edge on that crease though. Probs new trunk as you said.

Hang in there and enjoy it. I am jealous!

Reactions: Marcavelli650
Is there a buyout option now? The reason I didnt consider a lease is that if I want to exit before the 3 years, I would have to just buy out the remaining payments instead of sell the car. Also lease rates are very high compared to other cars and no buyout- so no equity position. seeing they hold their value pretty decent I figured buying I would come out ahead. But if we can sell the car at lease end that changes everything.

BTW fellow 911 owner here, adding a M3P :) I have a 15 C2S, went to test drive a LR-AWD and even that made my 911 feel slow. Cant wait to try the Performance.

It's a bit of a gamble on how they're going to handle the buyout. The announcement was that they'll add the option to all existing leases.

The mischievous side of me wants to know how they're handing the buyout. Based on the current lease terms, I'm leasing the car as if it has a pretty high level of depreciation (~40%?) over the 3 years. If the align the buyout with that assumption then it could be a good proposition for a potential flip in the end. But they might take the chicken way out and allow a buyout at market, in which case you should just dump the car because the cost to lease + full market buyout makes it a really bad deal to own via that route.

Oh nice! 2015 C2S, means you had a 991.1! Very nice car, very fast! Also, the last NA for mere mortals who can't afford GT cars. My 2015 was a vanilla C2, so I was really happy when I jumped in 2018 to the 991.2 C2 with the new twin turbo engine to get to some of that torque. C2S (or GTS) is probably the best trim level... I'm not worthy!!!

M3P torque blows both of my 991's away for 0-60. Pics of my new (M3P) and old (991.2) attached. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
If it means anything to the rest of the Bay Area folks, a friend of mine was in the same position last year. He got a text on the 29th that has car was going into production and would be available on the 31st for pickup. He picked it up late in the afternoon from the factory on the 31st, there’s still hope!

Mine still showing 28-31 estimated LOL. UGH. Anyways I wont be here hopefully they hold my car.