Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks great! I want to put 18” on mine too for going on ski trips etc. I heard only certain kinds of wheels clear the performance brake.

Yes, you have to get rims with a large enough bore size to clear the brakes. I bought mine from a Canadian firm and they corrected my order telling me the ones I originally ordered would not fit. They had the same rim with a larger bore (70.2 mm vs 64.1 mm) and changed it to that after consulting me.

One thing I was very impressed with was how much the car can fit. I got all four 20" Uberturbine wheels into the car with no problem. My 335i may have been able to fit two. Was thinking I would need to make two trips to take them home.

Yes, you have to get rims with a large enough bore size to clear the brakes. I bought mine from a Canadian firm and they corrected my order telling me the ones I originally ordered would not fit. They had the same rim with a larger bore (70.2 mm vs 64.1 mm) and changed it to that after consulting me.

One thing I was very impressed with was how much the car can fit. I got all four 20" Uberturbine wheels into the car with no problem. My 335i may have been able to fit two. Was thinking I would need to make two trips to take them home.

I was under the impression that the center bore is the same for all cars, and doesnt affect brake clearance. I am actually interested in the wheel specs if you don’t mind sharing? And tire sizes?

Great to hear you can fit all 4 wheels inside!

First congratulations on the car. Next, supercharging depends on a lot. Temps, and current soc along with battery temp plays the biggest role when it comes to v3 charging. So what was your current soc when you plugged in? To see the 250kw you need to have a hot battery and very low soc. Like below 10%. I’m guess you were around 60% or higher when you plugged in. The battery could have been cold as well. Which will lower you soc. So a little more info and we can help you out. Are you sure you were at a v3 supercharger? It could have been a urban supercharger which only outputs 72 kw max

I was at about 35% charged when I first plugged in, but yeah it was pretty wet, it was raining all day. Temperature was about 60 or so, so i think that could be why. But yeah, I know it's a v3 charger, it was recently built and I read through the forum post about it.

Reactions: Tholland
I was under the impression that the center bore is the same for all cars, and doesnt affect brake clearance. I am actually interested in the wheel specs if you don’t mind sharing? And tire sizes?

Great to hear you can fit all 4 wheels inside!

Sure. Here is the rim: Replika R241 Space Grey 18x8.5 +40 5x114.3mm 70.2mm

I misspoke about the bore size affecting brake clearance. The rotor on M3Ps have a "step hub" that requires a 70.2mm bore to clear it. The 64.1mm version of my rim would not fit on the M3P hence I was told to get the 70.2mm version which fit perfectly. Here's a video explaining it.

Not sure if you need winter tires in SF but here are the tires: 235/45R-18 Continental VikingContact 7 XL

I have Michelin Pilot Alpins on my RWD 335i which are great but they don't make them in this rim size. They have Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds in the 18" rim size which I have also owned but weren't too fond of. I haven't tried the Bridgestone WS90s but had the WS80s. They were very good. I'm a big fan of Continental tires and these new winter tires have gotten good reviews so I decided to give them a try. Plus they were the cheapest of any brand I would consider. Hope that helps.

DD

I never got any replies after trying to call/email my delivery center. No reply from my "AGENT" for the last 2 weeks. So what the heck, I was browsing inventory and just hit up a chat window. At least I got someone to talk to concerning my order. Then they sent me to another person via email and said they are trying to get me a VIN.

I just replied to the text message I got saying 2-4 weeks out in November. Since doing that I have a VIN, pick up date tomorrow and already signed the docs today.

I feel like my SA job was to get me into an existing inventory car , once she realized that wasn’t happening it was crickets from her.

I think their residuals is 54% on a 36m/10k? Buy out at market rate would be insane, never heard of any company doing that but then again it is Tesla. If there is some sort of buyout option I would be more interested in leasing since we can hedge our bets pretty much. Also to save on CA sales tax since we don’t get trade in credit. These cars do seem to hold value well, but might be partly due to them cornering the used market for now. If they start aggressively selling used Model 3s then it may be a different story.

Yep, I'm hoping they go with the low residual - will make a lease end buyout make financial sense. TBD on the future because there is a lot of competition en route. As of now, Tesla is pretty high up there in the electric market which helps with resale.

Speaking of Porsche, earlier in 2019 my local dealer let me take one of their Taycan Turbo's out for a joy ride a little before they were due to hit the market. Wow. The Taycan 4S is probably more up my ally price-wise, but the timing didn't work out well. I think they're going to be providing some competition with Tesla's upper range once they've been at it for a while.

Hi All - I've been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to create an account so I can share an update I just received, which may be helpful to some in the waiting room.

I ordered a White/White in early December. About a week and a half ago, the Tesla account showed a delivery estimate of December 30-31 and my SA looked into some other system they have access to and told me that the vehicle appeared to be in production and a "soft VIN" had been assigned. He said I should have the VIN in the next few days (last week). Well, that did not happen. About four or five days ago, the delivery estimate disappeared from my account and it has not returned. I spoke with the SA yesterday and he said there is no car being delivered that matches my specs and it looks like delivery will happen in 2021 (big surprise!). I wanted to see if I could get more information and tried Tesla Chat. The support person indicated I would be taking delivery some time in Q1 of 2021. She had no idea when or any other information. She also confirmed what I already suspected, that there is no way to apply the supercharging offer to my order.

This is not good news as I was hopeful I'd be taking delivery soon (even if if meant Jan. 2021). Without the push for year-end, I don't know how long it'll be now before I can take delivery and I'm already on my first lease extension with BMW. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience as I know there are some in the group who have the "dates disappeared" issue. Hopefully, you have better luck!

Just wanted to follow up in this forum and confirm that I picked up car yesterday in a rare rainy day here in SoCal. Red/white ordered on 11/8 in San Diego. Really excited I made the year end cut off, but I feel for the folks who have to wait a bit longer. It will be worth it in the end :)

163DA5B0-BF81-44F3-A488-931AF94F2B29.jpeg
03A7532D-1058-40D8-BD06-798ED889CCE2.jpeg
1E5DB2E7-45FF-4CE6-A496-97C5FF63AC88.jpeg

It is not too heavy. It is too expensive. And completely unproven if it will work. This was a total I can afford to experiment for everyone's benefit purchase. Another user tried his and it did not work on a couple of different chargers with the latest Tesla software on his Model 3. Could be the new software broke this thing's software. Dialog on it on the CCS charging adapter thread.

Interesting... personally I would be scared to try some random CCS adapter from Shenzhen China, but I’m glad you’re willing to attempt it.

Just got done checking my car (they did a home delivery on mine). Mostly pretty good, I've already scheduled a service appt for 9/30. 3 main issues, one of them will be a bigger repair, although not the end of the world.

congrats man! I picked up yesterday too and it was challenging evaluating any defects in the rain. Thankfully we have the 24hrs at home to submit issues via the app :)

1. The big one - looks like they banged the trunk lid into something while assembling the car. It's in the corner by the rear pillar. Dent and associated paint scrapes. Surprised no one fixed it - I'm guessing the trunk lid will need to be replaced, ultimately but maybe they can do something about the other 2 items.
  2. Both front seats, the lumbar support's 4-way switch only works in 3 ways (back direction on both is borked)
  3. Right rear window squeals on open/close
So far that's about it. Fit and finish isn't Porsche, but it's acceptable otherwise. Hadn't had a chance to do anything fun with it - it never rains in SoCal... except today where it's been raining for almost 14 hrs straight now!!!

Car came at half charge (167 miles). The Tesla store was sold out of 14-50 adapters for the mobile charger so mine isn't going to get here until 12/30. Using a plain socket right now... at 4 mpg, estimate is around 22 hrs to fill up. lol

There was already a SW update to install, so I'm doing that now - will continue playing with things later, but I'm just doinking around in the SW at this point and not expecting to find anything else.

-- Edit to add pictures -- 2 of the damage, 1 of the wet car in my garage!

Feel bad for the guys/gals who have been patiently waiting, but you gotta think big picture...3 months from now all this waiting and anxiety will not matter anymore...you will have the best daily driver in the mkt period!...also remember that Tesla is not a car company but rather a tech company that happens to make cars...once I accepted this in the past all is well...for every one thing they do badly(marginal communication, service/parts), they do 3 things that are insane(OTA updates, AP, FSD, unreal acceleration, etc)...like many of you, Ive owned many BMW M3's and 911's and this car will blow these cars away in every way except handling...in the big picture, who really cares if you get the car this week or a few weeks form now(yes I realize some are renting cars as they sold theirs, as i did too)..

Last edited:
Interesting... personally I would be scared to try some random CCS adapter from Shenzhen China, but I’m glad you’re willing to attempt it.
I was but after discussing with some folks on the forum far more knowledgeable about the Tesla charging interface and the standards, I got comfortable it was unlikely to be a problem. It would either work or nothing.

Gotta say, these Uber turbine wheels look good and are growing on me...I was going to take them off and put my old wheels back on but now I am re-considering...ok a quick poll to distract you guys while waiting...put my old wheels back on?...or keep the Uber turbine wheels on???...my old wheels are 20 x 8.5 and 20 x 10's.

I personally like the old wheels. The Ubers might be more aero though if you are range motivated. Although that would appear unlikely with 20x10 rears!
LqBHm5.jpg

PEcjd2.jpg