Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of two years ago, the motor configuration was different between the LR and the P, according to Engineering Explained, which he claimed made the P more instantaneously responsive. It's been a while since I watched it, and I don't remember the details. And I don't know it's still true today.

He made a 20-minute YouTube video about it.

It's not so much that the rear motor is different, it's that the front motor is a totally different technology. His original Tesla was a mid range RWD version, which like all 3s, has a permanent magnet switched reluctance rear motor. The front motor of the AWD versions is an induction motor. According to this video, the response of the induction motor is snappier. He would have come to the same conclusion with a LR AWD as with the Performance.

It's not so much that the rear motor is different, it's that the front motor is a totally different technology. His original Tesla was a mid range RWD version, which like all 3s, has a permanent magnet switched reluctance rear motor. The front motor of the AWD versions is an induction motor. According to this video, the response of the induction motor is snappier. He would have come to the same conclusion with a LR AWD as with the Performance.

So technically, the Performance and LR AWD have exactly the same 0-60 limitations? Is there there anything hardware-wise that gives the performance an edge over the LR AWD?

I noticed some people are turning their LR AWF into a performance by upgrading the software (and voiding their warranty) which gives them the same 0-60 time as a Performance. I was curious if the performance has an edge over the LR AWD that could possibly allow us to get some sort of a ludicrous mode in the future? Or are we already at the limit for a 3.1s 0-60?

Last edited:
So technically, the Performance and LR AWD have exactly the same 0-60 limitations? Is there there anything hardware-wise that gives the performance an edge over the LR AWD?

I noticed some people are turning their LR AWF into a performance by upgrading the software (and voiding their warranty) which gives them the same 0-60 time as a Performance. I was curious if the performance has an edge over the LR AWD that could possibly allow us to get some sort of a ludicrous mode in the future? Or are we already at the limit for a 3.1s 0-60?

That's hard to say... When the P was initially released, there was widespread belief that the motors in the P were made to the same specs as the others, but were specially picked from the best performing in the lot. This is a process often referred to as "binning" in the semiconductor manufacturing world. Computer processors rated for different clock speeds are often the exact same design, but due to manufacturing tolerances, some can sustain higher speeds than other and are sold as such. The same could be done for motors. It's unclear whether this is still the case or ever was for that matter.

Where I think there could be a hardware difference is in the inverter. It would need to handle more current than on the other versions, especially when accelerating from a standstill, where the inrush current will be the highest. This might explain why the P outperforms the LR + Boost at low speeds, but both of them are similar at the top end.

You get bigger (cool red) brakes and performance tires. I've yet to see someone prove the motors are different.

You get bigger (cool red) brakes and performance tires. I've yet to see someone prove the motors are different.

And a cool carbon fiber spoiler that retails for $660!

Tim

4B7527BA-A68F-4918-8123-2290337BBC80.jpeg

That's hard to say... When the P was initially released, there was widespread belief that the motors in the P were made to the same specs as the others, but were specially picked from the best performing in the lot. This is a process often referred to as "binning" in the semiconductor manufacturing world. Computer processors rated for different clock speeds are often the exact same design, but due to manufacturing tolerances, some can sustain higher speeds than other and are sold as such. The same could be done for motors. It's unclear whether this is still the case or ever was for that matter.

Where I think there could be a hardware difference is in the inverter. It would need to handle more current than on the other versions, especially when accelerating from a standstill, where the inrush current will be the highest. This might explain why the P outperforms the LR + Boost at low speeds, but both of them are similar at the top end.
I see, but it seems most likely that the only real difference between the two is software (ignoring accessories like spoilers, brakes, etc). We don’t have any evidence that suggests the LR AWD is 0-60 than the Performance due to hardware (only software). Therefore a ludicrous mode/acceleration boost for the performance seems unlikely IMO

I'm in the March 11 - 31 bucket for my P3D. This is my first time buying new from Tesla. How close is that estimate?

My biggest fear is those summer wheels and being in the midwest. Drop $66k plus tax on a car then immediately have to spend another 2 to 3k on A/S wheels to use for 1 month then put the summer wheels back on.

I'm in the March 11 - 31 bucket for my P3D. This is my first time buying new from Tesla. How close is that estimate?

My biggest fear is those summer wheels and being in the midwest. Drop $66k plus tax on a car then immediately have to spend another 2 to 3k on A/S wheels to use for 1 month then put the summer wheels back on.
That's why I'm having Tesla switch out my wheels/tires to 18" all season winter tires the same day I pick it up.

Ordered 12/14, Central Valley of Cali
Red/black
Estimated delivery: February 15 to March 15

I’m hoping it’s earlier than later obviously but I also do hope all the October/November orders are fulfilled first. Just doesn’t give me much faith in Tesla if later orders are delivered before earlier ones but I guess that’s expected!

Ordered 12/14, Central Valley of Cali
Red/black
Estimated delivery: February 15 to March 15

I’m hoping it’s earlier than later obviously but I also do hope all the October/November orders are fulfilled first. Just doesn’t give me much faith in Tesla if later orders are delivered before earlier ones but I guess that’s expected!

Right now they seem focused on LR AWD models. Have not seen VIN or delivery updates for any performance models yet.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: Avn1284

My estimate started at 08-18 December 2020, and I still don’t have a car.

So, not accurate in the least.

Then it was supposed to be by years end “for sure”

I have a set 18” Enkei’s and AS4’s in my garage since December...

Have to reapply for the loan...

If you don’t make the March cutoff then it will be June...

Did you buy direct or BYO. I’m looking at Tsportline packages.
Tires - Tire Rack. Got these ones if you're curious (was recommended them by another member who lives in the Midwest)
Wheels - Tsportline.
TPMS - Tesla for $300.
Wheel install/rebalance - Tesla for $150.

Discount Tires was charging $125, but for $25 extra I figured I'd just go with Tesla. They said they'd even begin switching out the wheels while I'm doing all the paperwork.

Reactions: Hilbe
Order placed: 25 January 2021
Estimated Delivery: February 2021
Model 3 Long Range, All Wheel Drive
White Multi-Coat, Black Interior
No FSD

UK website simply says Estimated Delivery: February. Tesla sales assistant says early March.

I’m so flipping excited....
Same for me. Ordered an M3 LR Silver/White on 1st Feb for Leeds, though have updated to Stockport on the phone. Estimated delivery: Feb, Tesla sales assistance said early March. I'm currently betting on it being on GLOVIS CENTURY currently in the Suez canal, scheduled for Southampton arrival on 18 Feb, so hopefully here a bit quicker... Still can't help checking my Tesla account 3/4 times a day!

Another day, another refresh of order summary, another disappointment :(. I need to stop checking my order summary until like March 1st, but it's so difficult even though I know nothing will change!

I did get my wall charger installed and hooked up to a 60A breaker though!

I installed mine, then took it back down. Next time-killing project is to fix up the garage, currently patching ahead of paint!

Tim

Another day, another refresh of order summary, another disappointment :(. I need to stop checking my order summary until like March 1st, but it's so difficult even though I know nothing will change!

I did get my wall charger installed and hooked up to a 60A breaker though!

14of4Cb.jpg

I was originally going to just buy another mobile charger and keep one in my car but didn't realize the price was so high.

I'm guess if you don't want to use the mobile charger included with the car, there is not other cheaper options than this $500 wall cable.

Either way I'll have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I was originally going to just buy another mobile charger and keep one in my car but didn't realize the price was so high.

I'm guess if you don't want to use the mobile charger included with the car, there is not other cheaper options than this $500 wall cable.

Either way I'll have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage.
Exactly. I was going to purchase a spare mobile charger then realized I could get a wall charger for the same price haha. I had to get my circuit panel replaced anyway and the electrician said he'd install the wall charger for free while he was at it, so i figured why not!

I'll probably just keep the mobile charger in the Frunk.

Reactions: TBrownTX