Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Dallas and did the same yesterday. My car arrived Thursday but delivery is scheduled on Sunday, so hope I get a call to come early... Don't know what it's like in Houston, but no ninja suit was necessary for my recon! The lot was so busy that they didn't even notice

Pro tip: Play the mission impossible music (if on foot, use headphones), makes it way more fun. Extra points if you wear all black.

Tim

Reactions: m3ira
Was scheduled for Tuesday but bumped to Sunday and it's supposed to freakin rain. Was told the vehicle is scheduled to arrive on Saturday but they need to inspect it, I'm hoping the rain will hold if not I'm delaying delivery till Monday. Just don't feel like buying a 60k car in the rain is a smart thing to do.

Picked up the red M3P last Wednesday and electrician installed the Tesla charger yesterday on the garage wall (Florida thing - breaker panel normally on garage wall).

Some quick notes after two days of ownership:

1. Car is a f_cking rocket and a blast to drive. I'm an older driver (60s)who has owned many cars (mostly bmw, audi and honda) and this is the most exciting car of all of them.

2. Front hood does not fit exactly right (opens and closes oddly), needs adjustment.

3. All doors require a hard pull to close.

3. Slight rattle noise when driving from lower left of windshield. (future service visit)

4. Sometimes a significant squeaky sound when driving from near passenger side sun visor (where glass roof meets frame). (future service visit)

5. Fit of exterior panels is ok, but not up to bmw standards. (future discussion with tesla service)

6. Comfort and feel of the seats is good, but bottom of seat is not firm enough compared to my last bmw and my wife's audi.

7. Sound system is great - the best I have heard.

8. User interface of the control screen is good, but it's a huge change (from other cars) and will take time to be familiar. (note to self, relax and learn over time).

I'm going to enjoy the car for a week or so and then make an appointment with Tesla service to discuss the issues.

Cheers.

Snade
Just wait until you get your first update and the UI changes. You'll get the fun of learning the UI all over again ;)

Question for Everyone. My Delivery Date is tomorrow and just I received the Final Lending Agreement just a few hours ago. Can I wait until I see the car in person to sign these? Or is Tesla Expecting me to have that signed ASAP?

Thanks.
I’ve got the same question. I want to get paperwork out of the way but don’t want to do anything that‘ll force me into accepting delivery only to find that they forgot to paint a door or something. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
I’ve got the same question. I want to get paperwork out of the way but don’t want to do anything that‘ll force me into accepting delivery only to find that they forgot to paint a door or something. ;)
I'm not sure at what point is the point of no return but I believe it is when you accept the car at delivery which is done on the app/online when they have the car out to you. It allows you to see your car in the app. Accepting the loan and all the other points is to get the process going so it is all ready when they deliver the car. There are a few signatures such as DMV and tesla contract which you do in person.

It does happen very fast. A little too fast to be honest. I had a trade in and it literally took less than 10 mins so if you didn't have a trade in, might be less than 5 min lol.

I'm not sure at what point is the point of no return but I believe it is when you accept the car at delivery which is done on the app/online when they have the car out to you. It allows you to see your car in the app. Accepting the loan and all the other points is to get the process going so it is all ready when they deliver the car. There are a few signatures such as DMV and tesla contract which you do in person.

It does happen very fast. A little too fast to be honest. I had a trade in and it literally took less than 10 mins so if you didn't have a trade in, might be less than 5 min lol.

And depends on your state. I had to pay in full up front, before ever seeing the car!

Tim

Declined delivery today. Too many issues with the car for me to deal with living so far from a service center. Planning to try one more time, but the rep said it will be the end of June before it’s available.

I don’t understand why Tesla doesn’t make more of these things so that there is a consistent supply in the pipeline. This company is so awesome and so stupid at the same time. How many years will it take for them to iron out all of these issues? Le sigh...

Declined delivery today. Too many issues with the car for me to deal with living so far from a service center. Planning to try one more time, but the rep said it will be the end of June before it’s available.

I don’t understand why Tesla doesn’t make more of these things so that there is a consistent supply in the pipeline. This company is so awesome and so stupid at the same time. How many years will it take for them to iron out all of these issues? Le sigh...

Oh man so sorry to hear that. Summary of some of the larger issues? Might help another down the line.

After a week and a half with mine I've found two additional issues, but nothing that makes me regret accepting.

Agree it's crazy how inconsistent things can be, and how crazy the communication (or lack thereof) is.

Tim

Oh man so sorry to hear that. Summary of some of the larger issues? Might help another down the line.

After a week and a half with mine I've found two additional issues, but nothing that makes me regret accepting.

Agree it's crazy how inconsistent things can be, and how crazy the communication (or lack thereof) is.

Tim

yes, would love to hear all the issues. Maybe some of us are blind/ignorant (me!!!)

I have had my car for a week and a half, and have a whopping 225 miles on it. I've also had a chance to go over it with a fine toothed comb, multiple times. Here's all the issues I've been able to find:

1) Back glass installed slightly off center at the top (a few millimeters).
2) Steering wheel maybe 2-3 degrees off center (needs alignment).
3) Panel gap at the front door/mirror/fender area on the passenger side (biggest issue).
4) One tiny spec (dust size) in the clear along the back pillar.
5) Heat pump resonation (bass sound, characteristic of all '21s).

I'd dare to guess only someone with extreme OCD (like myself) could pick all these things up, and it took me a week and a half to notice them all. I'm actually a certified national car show judge with the Mustang Club of America. Trust me, I know how to nit pick a vehicle, and with that a couple of things come to mind...

"If you look for imperfection, you will find it"
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good"

I don't plan to address any of these issues as often times they make them worse, except for the steering wheel alignment which I'll fix when I replace the tires down the road.

To me the whole inspection process people do with Tesla's is way out of hand. Not saying a car should ever be rejected, but some of the checklists I see are more detailed than the ones used to judge 100k+ custom hand built vehicles at national events. That's just ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Overall the car is a fricking' rocket. It drives like nothing I've ever driven. The software is incredible, and it's super easy to look over a couple small flaws (yes all cars have flaws).

/end rant

Tim

Last edited:
03A5092D-BE85-4B58-BBB8-BBDEEDCAB7CF.jpeg
74D256DF-3922-47CD-8F16-FCD800AFE79E.jpeg
7F733209-FD68-4DA2-B031-44DE1D254420.jpeg

It is finally here! Had an issue with the driver’s side window rubbing the b pillar when opening the door. They wheeled it into service right away and got it fixed in 5 min. Other then that the car is perfect.

Misaligned headlights, taillights, frunk, trunk and roof glass, scratched interior trim, stained headliner, spoiler pulling away from trunk. All things that could be addressed by a service center I’m sure, but I live 2+ hours away from the closest one.

Full disclosure: I am pretty particular, and some people may be ok with this stuff. I love what Tesla is trying to do, and I love the concept of this product, but I am not giving this company $60k for this level of quality.

For context, we recently purchased an X5 PHEV and it is legitimately flawless in comparison. I guess it’s all about what you are use to or willing to put up with.

Interestingly, I am not upset or jaded. This is because of everyone on these message boards that share their experiences. Thanks to all of you, I knew what I was getting into before I started. I had just hoped that Tesla may had turned a corner and I would get lucky. I’ll probably try again in June unless something more compelling comes along.

(Again, why in the world do they not continue to produce these throughout the quarter? So strange.)

Pickup in Devon today 3 days early. I was told they were delivering 54 cars tomorrow alone. Needless to say it was busy and hectic. But it was still a pretty quick process.

I’m typically super anal about my cars, but I wasn’t being too overly picky with this one. All the hype had me worried, but the car was pretty much flawless. Had some dirt and scuffs here and there inside, but nothing that won’t clean up. Exterior looked pretty good paint wise, could have been a little cleaner, but no big deal.

Only issue worth mentioning was that the frunk alignment is a bit off and I worry that over time it may come in contact with the bumper, especially after PPF.

I also noticed that the doors need closed with a little more force then I’m used to. They all seem the same though and alignment is good so I may not mention anything as it may just take some getting used to.

That said, I’m glad to be out of this waiting room!!! Good luck to all those who are still waiting. May your cars be delivered quickly and flawlessly!

Cheers!

Attachments

• E7CBEA58-5A57-4F71-8E1F-FF769CF04A68.jpeg
    E7CBEA58-5A57-4F71-8E1F-FF769CF04A68.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 6F780E15-83CC-49B2-B507-9844F38FD25E.jpeg
    6F780E15-83CC-49B2-B507-9844F38FD25E.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 50857406-8C25-43F1-860C-0D4FB607F405.jpeg
    50857406-8C25-43F1-860C-0D4FB607F405.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 55
  • B9FDD7F5-3EB3-4B59-9329-6F9EF6BB9EEE.jpeg
    B9FDD7F5-3EB3-4B59-9329-6F9EF6BB9EEE.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 58
to the posters above Tesla is not the only car company that has issues with quality, sometimes it’s bad luck, some people compare BMW Audi Mercedes Benz and other manufacturers claiming those cars are pristine with zero to no issues. In that instance those cars could’ve been perfect but in my experience I’ve had bad luck with those high end brands. I myself had a terrible experience with a brand new M5 that on my pickup date one of my headlights wouldn’t even turn on and I had to wait an additional week waiting for the headlight assembly to come in and that’s after owning a BMW 750 which was perfect. I had nightmares when I owned a range rover full size, in December tho I bought a model Y and to my surprise the car was almost perfect.

now to relate to this tread my pickup on my w/w m3p is scheduled for 3/30 vin 914 ordered 2 days after I bought the model y, shows how much I loved driving the Tesla. My only gripe so far with the m3p was my pickup was first scheduled to the nearest dealer to my house and for some reason the manager in charge of my account, not an SA, called me saying they moved my pickup to a dealer 90 minutes away from my house. He had no idea why which is annoying since I also had a service appointment to setup the garage opener.

Again, why in the world do they not continue to produce these throughout the quarter? So strange.
The M3Ps (and LRs as well I think) for all markets in the world are produced at the Fremont factory. At the beginning of each quarter, the plant produces cars for overseas markets (which may have light differences to satisfy local regulations), some of which are right-hand drive. Once those are done and loaded on ships, the plant switches to cars for the North American market. Their goal is to deliver all cars by the end of the quarter so they can record the revenue for that quarter.

Once the Berlin factory is up and running and Fremont is no longer making cars for Europe, the ebbs and flows of North American delivery might smooth out a bit.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Misaligned headlights, taillights, frunk, trunk and roof glass, scratched interior trim, stained headliner, spoiler pulling away from trunk... I am not giving this company $60k for this level of quality.

For context, we recently purchased an X5 PHEV and it is legitimately flawless in comparison.

(Again, why in the world do they not continue to produce these throughout the quarter? So strange.)
My car had most of those problems too but I only reported the headlights, paint, and the passenger window not touching the weather stripping. I didn't bother to point out the fact that the roof glass is 1/8" wider than the windshield glass, and 1/8" off center along with the back glass, and that all 3 panels have a slightly different curvature profile. What are they gonna do about that? Same with the misshapen passenger door and the gaps at both ends of the spoiler.

For context the bottom-tier economy rental car they stuck me with is perfect. Panel gaps are tight and every single metal/glass/plastic panel on the whole car lines up perfectly. All the doors and windows open/close perfectly and the paint is absolutely flawless, having survived production, transport, delivery, rental transport, countless hasty washes, and dozens of jackass renters thrashing it before me.

Yeah, the quarter thing makes no sense. I think they're just not very smart. They could easily deliver some cars to America early in the quarter and some to Spain later in the quarter and still manage to work in their short-sighted end of quarter squeeze in the Fremont parking lot. Or they could just let this one quarter look a little worse and then be able to shift to a steady interwoven delivery strategy without ever needing to crunch again.