Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to sales advisor at CLT on Sat.....he is looking into account, said he will return call by Wednesday.......fully believes delivery will be before 30th of June, (my current shows June 22-30....ordered on 5/16.......red MP3 no FSD
I have the same delivery dates for CLT as you. Ordered 5/22.
I was actually assigned a VIN yesterday and then it disappeared on my account today. Confused as to why this would happen. Cant get answers from anywhere. Haven’t been able to get in contact with them via email, text, or phone.
The waiting is fine, the lack of communication about what’s happening is the frustrating part.

Reactions: CarolinaBMXers
Ordered a M3P on 4/25. Delivery dates were changing every day until finally I received a VIN on 6/1. I paid off the balance in full and awaited a delivery appointment in Scottsdale.

Car arrived on 6/4 in Scottsdale, but the first available appointment was today (6/7). I received a voice mail a few hours before pickup that the car was damaged in transport and a new car needed to be ordered (apparently nothing minor that can be easily fixed). I cannot directly call the delivery center to learn more. I called Tesla’s customer service (40 mins on hold) and nobody could advise me on the next steps.

I was worried about making the transition from BMW (currently have an M4) to Tesla. I now question my decision. I have asked Tesla to refund my money since they don’t have a clue when I will get a car. I am being offered nothing for the inconvenience. This is not a luxury brand from a sales and service perspective.

My plan is to sleep on the next step since I don’t want to overreact. It’s just I hear the horror stories about service, quality, and now I can confirm there is some truth to it. Is my story unique or have others experienced something similar?
That sucks dude. Gut punch... I'd be heartbroken. From the sidelines I'd say it's bad luck as I would think cars being damaged in transport would be rare.
Just from a manufacturing background damage closer to delivery means more waste cost incurred on a finished good. Companies prioritize issues with that high cost impact.
I'm laser focused on the 3 and I'd be considering canceling also. Depends on how fast the recovery plan is from Tesla if you can get answer from the service.

That sucks dude. Gut punch... I'd be heartbroken. From the sidelines I'd say it's bad luck as I would think cars being damaged in transport would be rare.
Just from a manufacturing background damage closer to delivery means more waste cost incurred on a finished good. Companies prioritize issues with that high cost impact.
I'm laser focused on the 3 and I'd be considering canceling also. Depends on how fast the recovery plan is from Tesla if you can get answer from the service.
I do agree transport issues do happen and there are certainly bigger things in life to worry about. My issue is just how poorly Tesla handles such an issue. As of the moment nobody seems to care and I cannot speak to the delivery center.
The only reason I checked out Tesla is that I could not stand the front end of the new BMW M3. I am going to revisit the BMW dealer this afternoon and then sleep on my decision. I don’t want to give Tesla $60K+ for a Hyundai service experience.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
I do agree transport issues do happen and there are certainly bigger things in life to worry about. My issue is just how poorly Tesla handles such an issue. As of the moment nobody seems to care and I cannot speak to the delivery center.
The only reason I checked out Tesla is that I could not stand the front end of the new BMW M3. I am going to revisit the BMW dealer this afternoon and then sleep on my decision. I don’t want to give Tesla $60K+ for a Hyundai service experience.
Tesla is probably the worst as far as customer engagement. They will need to fix that as competition catches up and they can't maintain market share.

In my experience BMW is 2nd when it comes to customer service... I had a 335i that the dealer couldn't fix after 6 months so I moved up to a CPO 550i Msport that went into limp mode anytime I gave it the beans. I drove loaner cars for 8 months while they went back and forth trying to fix. They wouldn't let me out of the car and ended up replacing the entire motor that still didn't fix the problem. I gave up and traded it in for a huge loss and sued BMW NA and won a small settlement. Will never drive a BMW again.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Transportation issue may have been out of their control or they could be withholding information on what actually happened, who knows. I'm not an attorney but I feel if you paid for the car in full (regardless cash, finance, lease), they need to deliver you the product within a reasonable amount of time. It may be early but if the pickup was supposed to be today and you're floating $50k to them, try sending them a notice to perform with a 7 day limit to protect yourself should they try to dick you around.
I do have an attorney on retainer that can easily send a threatening letter. I just hate to think this is how one has to begin their experience with Tesla. Then again I did send them more than $60K in cash for apparently nothing. Let’s see. I did demand an immediate return of my money since they cannot commit to anything or even suggest a resolution for their mistake. Everyone is telling me to stay away from this brand. I just thought their poor rating on JD Power was wrong.

Tesla is probably the worst as far as customer engagement. They will need to fix that as competition catches up and they can't maintain market share.

In my experience BMW is 2nd when it comes to customer service... I had a 335i that the dealer couldn't fix after 6 months so I moved up to a CPO 550i Msport that went into limp mode anytime I gave it the beans. I drove loaner cars for 8 months while they went back and forth trying to fix. They wouldn't let me out of the car and ended up replacing the entire motor that still didn't fix the problem. I gave up and traded it in for a huge loss and sued BMW NA and won a small settlement. Will never drive a BMW again.
Yikes. I have been fortunate with virtually no mechanical issues on several BMWs, but I totally understand every manufacturer has their issues. My current M4 only has 20K miles after six years, thus who knows if I actually had higher mileage. I do know BMW service is expensive for routine maintenance on an M car.

I do agree Tesla will need to improve their sales and customer service experience or they will be crushed as other manufacturers catch up on technology.

I do have an attorney on retainer that can easily send a threatening letter. I just hate to think this is how one has to begin their experience with Tesla. Then again I did send them more than $60K in cash for apparently nothing. Let’s see. I did demand an immediate return of my money since they cannot commit to anything or even suggest a resolution for their mistake. Everyone is telling me to stay away from this brand. I just thought their poor rating on JD Power was wrong.

The reality is Tesla has terrible customer service. It was not always that way when they were smaller, but they currently have demand that outpaces supply and they’ve decided to let their customer service turn to garbage. The cars themselves are good once you get them and most people don’t have many issues. My wife’s Y had a coolant leak from a hose that required two visits, but it went pretty smoothly. Most people I know with them have had no issues. But if stuff goes wrong during delivery, you’re left with very few good options on contacts to get real answers.

You just have to decide what is most important. We’ve been happy with the Y and I’m taking delivery of a M3P tomorrow, but I’m willing to overlook the service issues because the powertrain is just better than most other EVs right now, especially performance to dollar. Plus EA sucks. Once the other brands figure out charging infrastructure, Tesla will be in trouble unless they change their service experience.

The new M3 is great though, but you’ll be waiting for allocations currently for 2022s. I’m going to replace my current car that is a manual with an IOMG M3 manual in a couple years most likely. If you’ve soured on Tesla, the M3 is a good option. Looks better in person too.

Last edited:
The reality is Tesla has terrible customer service. it was not always that way when they were smaller, but they currently have demand that outpaces supply and they’ve decided to let their customer service turn to garbage. The cars themselves are good once you get them and most people don’t have many issues. My wife’s Y had a coolant leak from a hose that required two visits, but it went pretty smoothly. Most people I know with them have had no issues. But if stuff goes wrong during delivery, you’re left with very few good options on contacts to get real answers.

you just have to decide what is most important. weve been happy with the Y and I’m taking delivery of a M3P tomorrow, but I’m willing to overlook the service issues because the powertrain is just better than most other EVs right now, especially performance to dollar. Plus EA sucks. Once the other brands figure out charging infrastructure, Tesla will be in trouble unless they change their service experience.

The new M3 is great though, but you’ll be waiting for allocations currently for 2022s. I’m going to replace my current car that is a manual with an IOMG M3 manual in a couple years most likely. If you’ve soured on Tesla, the M3 is a good option. Looks better in person too.
I knew Tesla had bad customer service prior to buying the car. I just didn’t realize their customer service was this bad. I also found my SA to be anything but helpful.

Regarding my Plan B - the other M3. I actually can get my hands on a 21 since the dealers near me have decent allocations for M cars. I have also seen the M3 in person and it’s just okay. My current M4 looks a lot better in my opinion.

I knew Tesla had bad customer service prior to buying the car. I just didn’t realize their customer service was this bad. I also found my SA to be anything but helpful.

Regarding my Plan B - the other M3. I actually can get my hands on a 21 since the dealers near me have decent allocations for M cars. I have also seen the M3 in person and it’s just okay. My current M4 looks a lot better in my opinion.
Yeah, it takes a hiccup in the process to expose how bad it is. The good news is if you stay with the Tesla, you will likely not have to see them very much because of limited maintenance. And if you do have a service issue, our experience has been fine. They are both good cars (hence my plans to have both), so I don’t think you can go wrong either way. You might get another car before the end of June still since they are making the Ps now.

Yeah, it takes a hiccup in the process to expose how bad it is. The good news is if you stay with the Tesla, you will likely not have to see them very much because of limited maintenance. And if you do have a service issue, our experience has been fine. They are both good cars (hence my plans to have both), so I don’t think you can go wrong either way. You might get another car before the end of June still since they are making the Ps now.
Again, what is Tesla going to do when other manufacturers catch up. I would argue BMW i4 is going to create significant pressure for those targeting the LE and P models. Porsche is talking about entering the arena with an i4/M3P competitor.

I just hope everyone else on here who is anxiously awaiting their delivery has better luck. I would say until one accepts delivery there is no reason for excitement. Lol.

I paid off the balance in full and awaited a delivery appointment in Scottsdale.
At least they only charged you for one car. At the end of last quarter several customers who paid via ACH had double withdrawals taken out of their accounts and had to deal with Telsa to try to get the money refunded for the phantom withdrawals. Either way, it is way more stress than should ever happen when buying a new vehicle and nonexistent CS only compounds the issue.

Ordered a M3P on 4/25. Delivery dates were changing every day until finally I received a VIN on 6/1. I paid off the balance in full and awaited a delivery appointment in Scottsdale.

Car arrived on 6/4 in Scottsdale, but the first available appointment was today (6/7). I received a voice mail a few hours before pickup that the car was damaged in transport and a new car needed to be ordered (apparently nothing minor that can be easily fixed). I cannot directly call the delivery center to learn more. I called Tesla’s customer service (40 mins on hold) and nobody could advise me on the next steps.

I was worried about making the transition from BMW (currently have an M4) to Tesla. I now question my decision. I have asked Tesla to refund my money since they don’t have a clue when I will get a car. I am being offered nothing for the inconvenience. This is not a luxury brand from a sales and service perspective.

My plan is to sleep on the next step since I don’t want to overreact. It’s just I hear the horror stories about service, quality, and now I can confirm there is some truth to it. Is my story unique or have others experienced something similar?
This is unfortunate news but I would encourage you to stay optimistic. Everyone says the car is worth it and I don't miss my BMW 640 Gran Coupe (although I'm still awaiting my M3P this month). In the meantime, place your concerns about this incident in writing to Tesla and the local dealer and explain that you would expect some consideration for delays not caused by you. Be thinking about what's appropriate consideration and handle that with your dealership when the vehicle arrives. Maybe some free items/accessories. Extra home charger? Something that can reasonably account for any legitimate and articulable problems you've experienced due to this inconvenience.

This is unfortunate news but I would encourage you to stay optimistic. Everyone says the car is worth it and I don't miss my BMW 640 Gran Coupe (although I'm still awaiting my M3P this month). In the meantime, place your concerns about this incident in writing to Tesla and the local dealer and explain that you would expect some consideration for delays not caused by you. Be thinking about what's appropriate consideration and handle that with your dealership when the vehicle arrives. Maybe some free items/accessories. Extra home charger? Something that can reasonably account for any legitimate and articulable problems you've experienced due to this inconvenience.
I 100% agree and that’s why I said I’ll sleep on it. I just wish someone at Tesla actually cared or even took some initiative to fix a wrong. I don’t even know who to direct my letter since it’s clear they lack a traditional customer service experience. If they even appeared to care I would likely be fine waiting. However, I will not wait another two months for sure.

I 100% agree and that’s why I said I’ll sleep on it. I just wish someone at Tesla actually cared or even took some initiative to fix a wrong. I don’t even know who to direct my letter since it’s clear they lack a traditional customer service experience. If they even appeared to care I would likely be fine waiting. However, I will not wait another two months for sure.
I wouldn't wait 2 extra months either. I'm sure some new M3P will be available in inventory after Q2. Make sure your name is on one, if needed.