Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same exact boat as you. We already own a LR MY and love it. I placed the M3P order in May and told my SA at the time I wanted to see what happened with a potential tax credit later in the year. He put the order on hold until 10/1/21. When it became unfrozen a few weeks back, i had them delay it again until 1/1/22. No issues with that.

Now here we are with a good chance of $55K cap on sedans for the credit. Truly sucks and a mind screw. I had no issues with spending an extra $7-8k to get the performance but with that difference now being $15ish, it feels irresponsible financially. But then there’s the regret of not getting the Performance! I go back and forth no less than 15 times per day. I’m going to wait until this thing is finalized before I ultimately make my decision. But I feel your pain.
We’re the same person!! Me too! Last night I brought it up to some friends. They understood the pros and cons of each decision. Sticking with the Performence vs getting a large rebate. Ultimately the consensus was just get the performance. Or there will be regrets for the life of the time you own the car and you’ll always wonder. You can’t make the LR reach performance levels of the performance. You can’t add track mode. The rest can be changed.

We’re the same person!! Me too! Last night I brought it up to some friends. They understood the pros and cons of each decision. Sticking with the Performence vs getting a large rebate. Ultimately the consensus was just get the performance. Or there will be regrets for the life of the time you own the car and you’ll always wonder. You can’t make the LR reach performance levels of the performance. You can’t add track mode. The rest can be changed.
Same boat here. Carvana picked up our LR on Friday. m3P scheduled for 11/9-11/15. The way I look at it regarding the incentive - of the cap stays, you’ll see huge price increases to cover the incentive and we can again sell our cars in a year for profit.

No one knows if house or senate bill will pass. Still a lot to work out before it goes into effect.

Reactions: Glendale MY
Lol we are the same. Haha! I am 60-40 leaning going with the M3P. Interestingly enough, I actually placed my original order the last day of April as a LR. After two or three weeks, I said, Screw it, and updated to Performance. You only live once and I feel with cars I’ve almost always settled. (Bought a 328i over the 335i for example). At some point, you just got to go for it everything else be damned. I’m kind of there.

Same exact boat as you. We already own a LR MY and love it. I placed the M3P order in May and told my SA at the time I wanted to see what happened with a potential tax credit later in the year. He put the order on hold until 10/1/21. When it became unfrozen a few weeks back, i had them delay it again until 1/1/22. No issues with that.

Now here we are with a good chance of $55K cap on sedans for the credit. Truly sucks and a mind screw. I had no issues with spending an extra $7-8k to get the performance but with that difference now being $15ish, it feels irresponsible financially. But then there’s the regret of not getting the Performance! I go back and forth no less than 15 times per day. I’m going to wait until this thing is finalized before I ultimately make my decision. But I feel your pain.
I bought the LR in 2019. Now I’m about to take procession of the performance. Take it from me. It was a waste of money buying the LR first when I knew damn well I wanted the P. Just save yourself the headache.

Got an interesting one. Ordered 9/18 and delivery was scheduled today at 11am MST. Got a call at 9am from the delivery team saying they had to push out my delivery. They were trying to get more info but said it failed pre-delivery inspection and that they were waiting on a part. Couldn’t tell me when it could be rescheduled but “long term estimate” is 2 weeks. Unfortunately, my down payment was taken from my account this morning with no firm delivery date…ugh. I asked them to provide more detail when able. Not sure I want to take this car depending on what the problem was. And do i just let them keep my money in the meantime??

Interesting discussion on whether to still get a P in the face of the possible huge price gap, if the latest proposed law is passed as-is. I'm in favor of EV tax credits but the proposed law is screwy in so many ways:

1. The hard price cutoff. Who really cares if the credit applies to Taycans and EQS and whatnot too? If we're encouraging EV purchases, why not in the higher price ranges too? Especially since it's a fixed credit, not percentage of purchase.
  2. Lower price cutoff for sedan than crossover/SUV - why?? Are we trying to steer people into larger vehicles for no good reason? This is really messed up IMO.
  3. Union favoritism. Union or non-union assembly should have no bearing on my taxes after I buy the car, it's a bizarre handout that favors some Americans over others.
  4. Not crediting 2021 purchases, for us dedicated EV buyers who bought our cars without the subsidy, is kind of messed up. Okay we clearly didn't need the incentive, but still!

I already took delivery of my P last month, so I've no decision left to make here, I'll just throw in my thoughts:
  1. I bought a P for Track Mode more than anything else. Secondly the better brakes. The extra acceleration is just a nice side bonus, LR would be quick enough for me honestly. Brakes can be upgraded, but there's no upgrade path to a Track Mode so far (from Tesla or aftermarket). I've no plans to track this car, but I do plan to use Track Mode for some back road driving, and in the snow.
  2. If an $18k-ish price gap really happens...that would make it really really difficult to justify the P. I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on a P at that price gap. But I applaud everyone who would! I'm kind of glad I got my P before directly facing this possible dilemma. :)

Interesting discussion on whether to still get a P in the face of the possible huge price gap, if the latest proposed law is passed as-is. I'm in favor of EV tax credits but the proposed law is screwy in so many ways:

1. The hard price cutoff. Who really cares if the credit applies to Taycans and EQS and whatnot too? If we're encouraging EV purchases, why not in the higher price ranges too? Especially since it's a fixed credit, not percentage of purchase.
  2. Lower price cutoff for sedan than crossover/SUV - why?? Are we trying to steer people into larger vehicles for no good reason? This is really messed up IMO.
  3. Union favoritism. Union or non-union assembly should have no bearing on my taxes after I buy the car, it's a bizarre handout that favors some Americans over others.
  4. Not crediting 2021 purchases, for us dedicated EV buyers who bought our cars without the subsidy, is kind of messed up. Okay we clearly didn't need the incentive, but still!

I already took delivery of my P last month, so I've no decision left to make here, I'll just throw in my thoughts:
  1. I bought a P for Track Mode more than anything else. Secondly the better brakes. The extra acceleration is just a nice side bonus, LR would be quick enough for me honestly. Brakes can be upgraded, but there's no upgrade path to a Track Mode so far (from Tesla or aftermarket). I've no plans to track this car, but I do plan to use Track Mode for some back road driving, and in the snow.
  2. If an $18k-ish price gap really happens...that would make it really really difficult to justify the P. I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on a P at that price gap. But I applaud everyone who would! I'm kind of glad I got my P before directly facing this possible dilemma. :)
Yeah, that’s my situation. But as I mentioned somewhere earlier I think it has to just come down to “I felt the P was worth this price so I want it even if the non-P becomes even cheaper than it already is”. I had the LR so I don’t want the same car again and I also don’t really want to go the aftermarket route for brakes and stuff… plus the unattainable max power and track mode like you mentioned.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yeah, that’s my situation. But as I mentioned somewhere earlier I think it has to just come down to “I felt the P was worth this price so I want it even if the non-P becomes even cheaper than it already is”. I had the LR so I don’t want the same car again and I also don’t really want to go the aftermarket route for brakes and stuff… plus the unattainable max power and track mode like you mentioned.
Yes! Go for it and never look back. 😁😈

The very first car I bought wasn't the highest performing version of its model. Within two years I regretted that. Since then I've always bought the top dog, whether buying new or used, and never once regretted it.

(With the caveat that I've never bought a Porsche or such where "top" extends waaaay up the price range. My two Teslas are easily the two most expensive cars I've bought.)

Last edited: