Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery this evening! First Tesla, fun car. Lots of things to play with. Doesn’t have the ryzen mcu or new battery but I don’t know the difference as I’ve ever had a Tesla. Being a custom PC builder I took a step back and realized if you are waiting for the next latest and greatest, you’ll always be waiting as the next latest and greatest I already in the works.

Very glad the rain has stopped in the L.A. area, because I just took delivery of my Red/Black, ordered on 11/17.

Originally slated to be picked up in Burbank, CA because when I ordered, home delivery wasn't available. A few days ago, after I got my VIN, they texted and said I would be given home delivery after all. Car was dropped off two hours before start of appointment window and I never saw/heard it being dropped off; just got a text that it was here and went outside and saw it in my driveway.

All panels are well fitting, with no crazy gaps or flaws. Interior is in good shape too, only saw a little smudge on one of the door pillars. Small (about 1") scuff/surface scratch on front left bumper, but that will easily buff out.

As expected, I don't have the new MCU chip or any of the other new features. Last six digits of VIN is 0865XX; "M" in the 10th spot, so it'll list as a 2021. According to window sticker, car was manufactured in October, so I clearly got someone else's cancellation or refusal. Showed up half-charged and without the v. 11 update.

Of course I already took it out for a spin and am very satisfied. This is a replacement for my 2018 BMW M3 CS. We all know the acceleration is fantastic; pulls as well as my M3, and I know it'll be about a second faster to 60 mph. As has been well-reported by others, the care definitely looses some oomph around 70 mph, but still feels very capable at speed. Certainly plenty quick for near-legal speeds. Steering feels decently balanced, but I think I prefer my BMW slightly on this dimension. Probably just need to get used to it--no real complaints. Braking is great, but there's still a lot of wet pavement around, so I'll be eager to check it out in drier conditions. Overall ride is smoother than my BMW, but harsher than our MY. Again, no surprises here, and just what I expected.

Next step is to get some aftermarket wheels and tires, since I'm not keen on the Tesla 20s and stretched Pirellis. Roads aren't terrible on my regular routes, but I can absolutely see problems in my future if I stick with the stock wheel/tire setup.

Six weeks from order to delivery; not as good as the 6 days from order to delivery when I got my Model Y LR a year ago, but still happy to have it pretty quickly.

Good luck to all those still waiting. Happy new year!

M3P.jpg

Very glad the rain has stopped in the L.A. area, because I just took delivery of my Red/Black, ordered on 11/17.

Originally slated to be picked up in Burbank, CA because when I ordered, home delivery wasn't available. A few days ago, after I got my VIN, they texted and said I would be given home delivery after all. Car was dropped off two hours before start of appointment window and I never saw/heard it being dropped off; just got a text that it was here and went outside and saw it in my driveway.

All panels are well fitting, with no crazy gaps or flaws. Interior is in good shape too, only saw a little smudge on one of the door pillars. Small (about 1") scuff/surface scratch on front left bumper, but that will easily buff out.

As expected, I don't have the new MCU chip or any of the other new features. Last six digits of VIN is 0865XX; "M" in the 10th spot, so it'll list as a 2021. According to window sticker, car was manufactured in October, so I clearly got someone else's cancellation or refusal. Showed up half-charged and without the v. 11 update.

Of course I already took it out for a spin and am very satisfied. This is a replacement for my 2018 BMW M3 CS. We all know the acceleration is fantastic; pulls as well as my M3, and I know it'll be about a second faster to 60 mph. As has been well-reported by others, the care definitely looses some oomph around 70 mph, but still feels very capable at speed. Certainly plenty quick for near-legal speeds. Steering feels decently balanced, but I think I prefer my BMW slightly on this dimension. Probably just need to get used to it--no real complaints. Braking is great, but there's still a lot of wet pavement around, so I'll be eager to check it out in drier conditions. Overall ride is smoother than my BMW, but harsher than our MY. Again, no surprises here, and just what I expected.

Next step is to get some aftermarket wheels and tires, since I'm not keen on the Tesla 20s and stretched Pirellis. Roads aren't terrible on my regular routes, but I can absolutely see problems in my future if I stick with the stock wheel/tire setup.

Six weeks from order to delivery; not as good as the 6 days from order to delivery when I got my Model Y LR a year ago, but still happy to have it pretty quickly.

View attachment 750499
Looks great!

Reactions: LTN17

View attachment 750499
Congrats! Looks great! I ordered a few days after you, same build exactly, but they keep messing with my delivery.

What rims are you looking at? I'm not sure if I should do a whole rim/tire replacement or just try a little bigger tires.

I haven’t done much research on wheels is the the go to for performance?
There are differing opinions, and I know that there are really long threads elsewhere on this forum that dive deep into the topic. I have decades of experience with wheels and low-pro tires on BMWs, Porsches and Benzes, but I'm new to the Tesla performance scene.

I decided on 19s, because 18s just looked too small to me (but I know that folks who want winter wheels/tires for Tesla pretty much have to go with 18s). Mainly I was looking for a forged wheel, rather than a cast one, to save weight and gain strength. Of course no wheel is impervious to being cracked or bent, but lighter/stronger aftermarket rims will likely do much better on this platform. The relatively high weight of our model 3s, compared to the clunkiness of the OEM wheel/tire setup could be a recipe for lots of bent wheels and pinched tires. I also really don't like the fact that Tesla switched to Pirellis and have stretched them like rubber bands on these big-ass 20s. I'll likely be going with 235/40s on the new 19" rims.

There are differing opinions, and I know that there are really long threads elsewhere on this forum that dive deep into the topic. I have decades of experience with wheels and low-pro tires on BMWs, Porsches and Benzes, but I'm new to the Tesla performance scene.

I decided on 19s, because 18s just looked too small to me (but I know that folks who want winter wheels/tires for Tesla pretty much have to go with 18s). Mainly I was looking for a forged wheel, rather than a cast one, to save weight and gain strength. Of course no wheel is impervious to being cracked or bent, but lighter/stronger aftermarket rims will likely do much better on this platform. The relatively high weight of our model 3s, compared to the clunkiness of the OEM wheel/tire setup could be a recipe for lots of bent wheels and pinched tires. I also really don't like the fact that Tesla switched to Pirellis and have stretched them like rubber bands on these big-ass 20s. I'll likely be going with 235/40s on the new 19" rims.
What about the titan wheels?