Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering when I will be told my delivery date/can set my delivery date. My EDD was April 29th to the 5th. Now May 3rd-7th. I would think it has to be close enough they can set a date. I really hope it's no later than the 9th or 10th at the absolute latest as I don't think I will be available for a week due to work.

Are they open Sunday? I assume not in IL as no other car dealers are.
They delivered to me on a Sunday, but every state is different. If they want to get a car off their lot, they'll get it to you.

Regarding the insurance, I just uploaded a photo of my insurance card on my previous car. State Farm (in California at least) covers a new car for a bit. Once I got the car, I emailed State Farm to bind coverage. Tesla didn't seem to care that the insurance card was a different VIN...just wanted the name to match up. Maybe that's a state-by-state thing?

I was not able to pay until they scheduled delivery. And note: they didn't ask me to schedule delivery, they told me when they would deliver. (And then changed their minds, and delivered earlier.)

My guess is you'll hear nothing. And then you'll get a text asking if you want it that day. It's painful. But it's worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rodney! and tessith
They delivered to me on a Sunday, but every state is different. If they want to get a car off their lot, they'll get it to you.

Regarding the insurance, I just uploaded a photo of my insurance card on my previous car. State Farm (in California at least) covers a new car for a bit. Once I got the car, I emailed State Farm to bind coverage. Tesla didn't seem to care that the insurance card was a different VIN...just wanted the name to match up. Maybe that's a state-by-state thing?

I was not able to pay until they scheduled delivery. And note: they didn't ask me to schedule delivery, they told me when they would deliver. (And then changed their minds, and delivered earlier.)

My guess is you'll hear nothing. And then you'll get a text asking if you want it that day. It's painful. But it's worth it.
I am 2 hours away so I am not sure how it will work. I will probably try and pick it up if thats possible. The SA told me they could deliver it but because of IL laws all of the paperwork and everything had to be done first or something like that. I'm not sure on delivery, insurance or anything for that matter. My SAs have been very little help so far.

Wouldn't surprise me if it weren't sitting on their lot already and delivering others and when my time comes I will hear from them. I've asked if they know where it's at and they said they will update me when they know something. When I got my vin a week or so ago I asked where it was and they said en route.

I figured this would be the most pain free buying experience ever and so far it's not even close to that. lol

Reactions: mcp76
I am 2 hours away so I am not sure how it will work. I will probably try and pick it up if thats possible. The SA told me they could deliver it but because of IL laws all of the paperwork and everything had to be done first or something like that. I'm not sure on delivery, insurance or anything for that matter. My SAs have been very little help so far.

Wouldn't surprise me if it weren't sitting on their lot already and delivering others and when my time comes I will hear from them. I've asked if they know where it's at and they said they will update me when they know something. When I got my vin a week or so ago I asked where it was and they said en route.

I figured this would be the most pain free buying experience ever and so far it's not even close to that. lol
2 hrs? Ugghh, that makes it their process a bit more inconvenient. At least with a VIN, you know there exists a car for you. And I agree, it's probably on their lot. There's a pretty direct rail line from Fremont to northern Illinois, it can't take too long to get there.

The wait is painful. Worse, the uncertainty. The process (legal, finance) actually turned out quite painless. A few clicks in the app, and done. The last car I bought in a dealership, I spent three hours waiting for them to finish the stinkin' paperwork. (Although, I did get to drive that car home same day, lol.)

Reactions: Sheefo2k
2 hrs? Ugghh, that makes it their process a bit more inconvenient. At least with a VIN, you know there exists a car for you. And I agree, it's probably on their lot. There's a pretty direct rail line from Fremont to northern Illinois, it can't take too long to get there.

The wait is painful. Worse, the uncertainty. The process (legal, finance) actually turned out quite painless. A few clicks in the app, and done. The last car I bought in a dealership, I spent three hours waiting for them to finish the stinkin' paperwork. (Although, I did get to drive that car home same day, lol.)
Maybe 1:30ish if you want to take worse roads to get there. Interstate all the way is like 1:55 or a bit under but speeding a bit can shave some time.

Ever since I ordered it said I would be picking the car up there. I assume they have a certain radius they will deliver out to. But the SA said they could deliver but it sounded like a pain and honestly I'd rather drive the car home myself than have someone else drive it 2 hours to me. I will keep you guys posted. Should be in a new blk/blk m3p by the end of the week..... I hope. lol

Reactions: Rodney!
Maybe 1:30ish if you want to take worse roads to get there. Interstate all the way is like 1:55 or a bit under but speeding a bit can shave some time.

Ever since I ordered it said I would be picking the car up there. I assume they have a certain radius they will deliver out to. But the SA said they could deliver but it sounded like a pain and honestly I'd rather drive the car home myself than have someone else drive it 2 hours to me. I will keep you guys posted. Should be in a new blk/blk m3p by the end of the week..... I hope. lol
Once you have it, you can make the return trip in *way* under 2 hours. 😋

so i just woke up and checked the app for any updates and now its only giving me the option "go to account" and when I do that I log on the web browser and its asking to update the financing...I've read that it expires but I thought it was 90 days not 60 :( OD 3/3/22 does this mean now when I input my social and they run my credit could my rate change as well? or is there somewhere that's states the rate is locked in from the first time? :( being optimistic here...just installed y wall charger last night and if my payments were to go up id be heartbroken...

EDIT* EDD is May15-19 still

so i just woke up and checked the app for any updates and now its only giving me the option "go to account" and when I do that I log on the web browser and its asking to update the financing...I've read that it expires but I thought it was 90 days not 60 :( OD 3/3/22 does this mean now when I input my social and they run my credit could my rate change as well? or is there somewhere that's states the rate is locked in from the first time? :( being optimistic here...just installed y wall charger last night and if my payments were to go up id be heartbroken...

Unfortunately, your rate isn't locked in if you are financing via Tesla. I had the same issue. I initially had 2.75 locked in from the initial finance process and, once it expired, I had to re-do it and the new rates via Tesla were 2.99. It expired on me by a number of days till I got my car, so it was a bit frustrating. In the grand scheme of things, its only a few additional dollars on the payment (I think it was maybe $9-$10 per month increase, at most), but its definitely the principle and i let them know that in my feedback survey.

Worst case, you can always go through with it and then find another lender and re-finance if you can get more favorable rates. With impending rate increases, not sure how possible that is. I thought about it myself, and i still might, but it was a time/effort conundrum and the Tesla financing process was pretty smooth.

EDIT* EDD is May15-19 still.
Rate isn’t locked unfortunately. Latest reports are rates are 3.24% from BMO Harris via Tesla. Might want to consider DCU or some other lender once you get your VIN.

Unfortunately you cannot lock in for any longer. I really wish Tesla was more transparent about that. I have had one SA explicitly tell me in the welcome email not to do anything regarding financing until a VIN is provided. My other two experiences the initial email did not mention anything about it. I would hold tight until you have a VIN, even though rates are supposed to go up. I think that each extension will cause another hard check on your credit and they (credit agencies) will consider those separate events, not rate shopping.

Rate isn’t locked unfortunately. Latest reports are rates are 3.24% from BMO Harris via Tesla. Might want to consider DCU or some other lender once you get your VIN.
For how many months? I had 2.74 with tesla and literally the day i got my vin i confirmed the financing and thought all was good. the next day it said i had to resubmit and it went to 3.79. Nothing changed on my credit either.